Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [DBP][AppUp] FindItBook

Author
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 03:34 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2011 03:37
Hi everyone, here's one of my latest projects. It's designed to run on a netbook, but it should also run on a PC or laptop.
The concept is rather simple. Just spot the differences on two (almost) identical images and make sure you can spot them on time. Heheeh.

There will be several themed based images:
- landscapes
- still lives
- animals
- cityscapes
- artistic
- cartoony
- space
- 3D
- etc...

These themed based images will also vary in difficulty (EASY, MEDIUM, HARD).

Depending on the difficulty level, you will have more/less time to find the differences.
If anyone has any suggestions on adding difficulty (besides the timer)?

At the moment, the background (which is the same image as the one that is loaded to check for differences), turns more reddish depending on the time elapsed.
There will also be a visualization of a timer at the bottom (not yet implemented).
Most of the game mechanics are working. It's the shooting of images (camera), and the adjusting of those images that takes most of the time.
A very special thanks to Cowbox for giving me some of his photos to use in the game.

P.S.: if anyone has some FREE images that I can use in the game, please let me know. If possible, just images in landscape format (horizontal). Thanks!
Everyone who gives me free photos to use, will get their name in the Credits section.

Also, please comment or give suggestions. Thank you!

Here are some screenshots:

Cheers

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 11:07 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2011 11:10
This looks awesome! And I think it is remarkable how you've been able ot make differences with realistic images and not cartoons even though you plan to add them. As for making it more difficult what about slowly but continuously rotating one or both of the pictures.

Here's a picture I took - WARNING it's pretty big (I don't want to clog up your thread with pictures so it is just attached). For once I can help you with your graphics. Hope you can use it?

Can't wait until you release a demo!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 13:52
Quote: "This looks awesome! And I think it is remarkable how you've been able ot make differences with realistic images and not cartoons even though you plan to add them."

Heheheh, thanks fella, I'm glad you like it.
Adjusting the images is the 'fun' part of it, cuz it takes so long.
Yeah, I'm planning on adding cartoonish images too (I hope).

Quote: "As for making it more difficult what about slowly but continuously rotating one or both of the pictures."

Yep, I've thought about that too. I might try that out.
Or, maybe have some distracting splash images that periodically appear over the image.
I was also thinking of adding more action to the game, which will have effect on the difficulty level. Like, adding some kinda shooting level (invaders), where the more aliens you kill, the more time you get to solve the puzzles. Heheheh.

Quote: "Here's a picture I took - WARNING it's pretty big (I don't want to clog up your thread with pictures so it is just attached). For once I can help you with your graphics. Hope you can use it?"

Nice photo, Hodgey! Thanks. Your name will be in the credits for sure.
Is this taken in your neighbourhood? Nice view.

Cheers

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 14:37
Quote: "Or, maybe have some distracting splash images that periodically appear over the image. "

You could make animations to fit the theme. Like if you had a picture of a shed, to make it more difficult, you could have bugs crawling over the images and the user has to click on them to squash them or make them fly off or something.

Quote: "I was also thinking of adding more action to the game, which will have effect on the difficulty level. Like, adding some kinda shooting level (invaders), where the more aliens you kill, the more time you get to solve the puzzles."

That sounds super! and adds a fun challenge to it.

Quote: "Nice photo, Hodgey! Thanks. Your name will be in the credits for sure."

Thanks, I think I've failed to mention it but I will do likewise with the applications where I have used your images.

Quote: "Is this taken in your neighbourhood? Nice view."

Remember how I went on holiday a few weeks ago? This is the view at the hotel where we stayed. I wish it were the view in my neighbourhood because all I have to look at are eucalyptus trees and the sky.

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 16:56 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2011 16:57
Looks very nice.

Quote: "P.S.: if anyone has some FREE images that I can use in the game, please let me know. If possible, just images in landscape format (horizontal). Thanks!"

I've got a fair few holiday photos without people that might fit the bill if you're interested. Landscapes and buildings and stuff.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2011 23:32
Quote: "Like if you had a picture of a shed, to make it more difficult, you could have bugs crawling over the images and the user has to click on them to squash them or make them fly off or something."

Heheheh, that made me laugh. It's a cool idea. Maybe worth trying.

Quote: "Remember how I went on holiday a few weeks ago? This is the view at the hotel where we stayed. I wish it were the view in my neighbourhood because all I have to look at are eucalyptus trees and the sky."

Hehheh, well, all I see is a bunch of houses and the sky. Not very exciting.

Quote: "Looks very nice."

Thanks Lucas.

Quote: "I've got a fair few holiday photos without people that might fit the bill if you're interested. Landscapes and buildings and stuff."

Aah, that would be sweet. Those would come in handy. Thanks. I'll make sure your name goes in the credits too.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2011 02:00
Nice! I like this idea. I'll see if I can find some good photos from last summer. Here's one for the "animals" theme.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2011 20:41
Quote: "Those would come in handy."

OK I've sent you over an email with a link to a download with a few pics of buildings and stuff. Hope they're useful.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2011 01:13
Quote: "Nice! I like this idea. I'll see if I can find some good photos from last summer. Here's one for the "animals" theme."

Thanks, Dimis! Both for the comment and for the image. Nice photo.
If you have some more photos to spare, that would be sweet! One more name to add in the credits section.

Quote: "OK I've sent you over an email with a link to a download with a few pics of buildings and stuff. Hope they're useful."

Hey, Lucas, many thanks for those wonderfull images! Were those taken on a trip?
I'll show a couple of screenshots from the new photos.

Thanks guyz!

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2011 10:30
Quote: "Hey, Lucas, many thanks for those wonderfull images! Were those taken on a trip?"

Glad you like them . They're just a selection from my holiday photos from the last few years but they're from a number of separate trips.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks great Chris, the UI looks really nice and clean.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2011 01:20
Quote: "Looks great Chris, the UI looks really nice and clean."

Thanks for the nice comment, Andrew!

Here are some screenshots of the new photos you guyz sent me.

Cheers

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2011 13:57
I recognise one of those pictures and I found all of the differences in it . Looking really good The Slayer, I don't know how you are able to edit them so well, I had trouble identifying the original and I even had to confirm it!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2011 03:15 Edited at: 30th Jul 2011 03:17
Quote: "I recognise one of those pictures and I found all of the differences in it . Looking really good The Slayer, I don't know how you are able to edit them so well, I had trouble identifying the original and I even had to confirm it!"

Hehheheh, I hope you found them on time?
Some images are easier to manipulate than others.

Here's an image of the main menu. The background will change randomly. Thanks to Cowbox for the idea.
I also changed the cursor image. Loox better, I think?

A question to all: whut kinda music would you like while playing a game like this one? Calm relaxing music, atmospheric, pumping house music, classical, heavy metal?

Cheers

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2011 17:55 Edited at: 30th Jul 2011 17:56
Keeps looking better and better Slayer! Definitely like the new mouse and menu.

And great work with editing the pics! Although I think Pacal will have some legitimate questions for you along the lines of "what the @?!* have you done with the top of my temple-pyramid?? Don't tell me it was always like that!". I genuinely have no idea how you filled in the cloudscape behind so well though. Without comparing the two, you could never guess it had been edited.

Quote: "whut kinda music would you like while playing a game like this one?"

Tricky this one; I guess a lot depends on who you're aiming this at. If the countdown is a big factor, then something slightly techy and fast to keep you on edge maybe? If you were looking at a younger audience, them maybe go for something more relaxing.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2011 18:10
What kind of music? Heavy metal! Maybe Creeping Death for the intro?

That could work for me. But seriously I think it should be something calm and relaxing.
Something that will not distract players from observing carefully the photos.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 00:37
This looks great TheSlayer!

I look forward to the demo!!

If you need anything let me know...

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "A question to all: whut kinda music would you like while playing a game like this one? Calm relaxing music, atmospheric, pumping house music, classical, heavy metal? "

All of them, anything that fits the theme of the picture.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2011 03:29 Edited at: 5th Aug 2011 03:30
Quote: "Keeps looking better and better Slayer! Definitely like the new mouse and menu."

Well, I'll definatly keep both.

Quote: "And great work with editing the pics! Although I think Pacal will have some legitimate questions for you along the lines of "what the @?!* have you done with the top of my temple-pyramid?? Don't tell me it was always like that!"."

Ooops, guess I'll better get that temple back to the way it was before then? Hehehehheh!

Quote: "Tricky this one; I guess a lot depends on who you're aiming this at. If the countdown is a big factor, then something slightly techy and fast to keep you on edge maybe? If you were looking at a younger audience, them maybe go for something more relaxing."

Yeah, much depends on whom is playing.

Quote: "What kind of music? Heavy metal! Maybe Creeping Death for the intro?
That could work for me. But seriously I think it should be something calm and relaxing.
Something that will not distract players from observing carefully the photos."

Hehehhe, a Metallica fan, right? Nice! Yeah, 'Creeping Death' is one of my favorite numbers from Metallica. 'Ride the Lightning' was one of their best albums ever.

Quote: "This looks great TheSlayer!
I look forward to the demo!!
If you need anything let me know..."

Thanx a lot, baxslash! I'll get that demo ready asap. And, thanks for the offer. I do need more photos, and I'll let you know for anything else.

Quote: "All of them, anything that fits the theme of the picture."

Yeah, I think that is the best option, Andrew. Thanks.
Just let the user decide which song he/she likes to hear while playing the game.

Cheers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 01:04:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 01:04:22