Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / From Blitz to here

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I hold my hands up I code in Blitz3D/Max , I have dabbled with DarkBasic and FPS as well. I am only a hobby coder by the way, dozens of half made games etc.

I have pre-ordered AppGameKit because it looks intresting. After having a quick look at the docs I know I have made the right decision. The docs look good with some nice examples, commands explained etc.

I was wondering if anyone could point out any things to watch out for coming from a Blitz background.
Jimmy 9Toes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2011 02:30 Edited at: 5th Aug 2011 02:32
I'm in the same boat. I own all of the brl programming languages, have written TONS of partially written games. I just don't have the time to commit to game dev. I do have some of my games showcased on my partially finished web site.

http://www.coderlaureate.net

Yes THEE Jimmy9Toes
Josk
Years of Service
User Offline
I had a look at your website, it looks like some of your games got further than mine

Cant wait to get my hands on AppGameKit, I'm a bit dissapointed we have to wait for Andoid support, but I prefer them to bring it out on limited platforms first and do it right than try for every platform and it not work.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I have used the original Blitz Basic on the Amiga and also on the Blitz 3D on the PC. I always found them more difficult to get to grips with than rivals, AMOS on the Amiga, and Dark Basic on the PC. Going from blitz to a more DB like environment should be fairly easy.

I too suffer from the unfinished projects list. I always intend to go back and continue them, but DB updates and occasional system maintenance sometimes puts paid to that. I have a couple of projects now that I can load and run ok, but cannot edit in the editor now for some reason. Trying to edit or add to a line just overwrites the current code( a most annoying bug from one of the last updates). Apart from sitting and copying the project across manually to the new editor, I can't think of a way to re-edit them. A simple copy and paste to another package seems to copy the bug as well .

I am also disappointed Android is not in the lineup. Mainly because that is the only phone I can get access to for testing. Still, I know someone who is threatening to buy an iphone, so I may get to play with that on the odd occasion.

http://s6.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=103081
Jimmy 9Toes
Years of Service
User Offline
You go way back like I do DVader. I even had Blitz Basic on my Commodore 64. I had it for my Amiga (I had an A500 with the 2MB, 68020 Expansion running OS2). When AMOS came along, I kind of forgot about Blitz.

It wasn't until a few years ago that I learned that Blitz was actually on the PC, and in 3D noless. Then I discovered Dark Basic, and DBPro.

So the progression from one to the other is easy enough. The one thing that took me a while to get used to is that DB has spaces in some of their key words.

Yes THEE Jimmy9Toes
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Had a Speccy, and only used the basic built in on that. Never heard of Blitz on the C64, only Simon's Basic which came on a cartridge I believe! Nice A500! I had (actually still have) a 1200 with an 030 expansion card and 18MB of ram and an 80MB HDD lol. Never had anything that showed it off though as most games were wrote with a base 1200 in mind. Gloom and stuff ran better though, although I wasn't really a fan.

http://s6.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=103081
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 18:12
I had myself a 500+, 600 and 1200 with 12Mb ram! I loved AMOS and spent many a night messing about with the shoot em up construction kit on the c64. At school I messed about with the BBC B computers before I settled on QBasic on PC before migrating to DBC.

So much fun I had! lol

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
Josk
Years of Service
User Offline
I had and still have an Amiga 1200, I went with AMOS over Blitz.

Quote: "The one thing that took me a while to get used to is that DB has spaces in some of their key words"

Yeah i can imagine getting caught with that one.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 09:51:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 09:51:02