Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Work in Progress (Air Rifle)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2011 22:46
I'm creating an Olympic shooting game and have been designing an air rifle to put in it. It is a work in progress -- so far I have pretty much everything forward of the trigger completed. Any comments or critiques? The biggest problem I have been having so far is texturing when I make odd shapes. It's mostly a problem for the stainless steel texture where it looks like it has seams in the middle of the rifle.

I've attached an image of the 3D model and you can find photos of the real rifle at the following web site:

http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/zoomed_model.pl?model_id=2553

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 00:09
Good job! will this game be 3rd person or first? if it's in 3rd person, i wouldn't worry about gun texture seams since the camera will be too far from the character for the player to notice much.

What's your polycount?

My Mind is very odd, it can memorize hundreds of commands, memorize 2 dictionary's worth of words, and make detailed 3D models. Yet my mind has trouble with the most simple calculations.
PirateJohn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 03:25
My poly count is 4219 so far, but I haven't done a lot of the cleaning up yet to get rid of extra surfaces.

As for the game, my ultimate goal is that the actual shooting will be done first person -- you will look through the sights of the gun using the left and right analog sticks and fire with the L1 or R1 button -- but between shots there will be animation that is 3rd person during which the shooter will reload and a graphic of the target will appear as well as the location of the target you hit.
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 17:05
Ah. Then i wouldn't worry about the seams, they aren't noticeable really.

My Mind is very odd, it can memorize hundreds of commands, memorize 2 dictionary's worth of words, and make detailed 3D models. Yet my mind has trouble with the most simple calculations.
PirateJohn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 05:38
Actually I was able to fix the seams during the cleanup. I've added a lot of detail (rear sights, trigger) and actually dropped my poly count from 4800 (after the added detail) to under 3000. And best of all, all of the troublesome seams are gone.

I'll post pics again after I've added some of the butt of the rifle.
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 18:13
Awesome. I guess there's no downside to that!

PirateJohn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 01:57
Finished at last! Took 2900 polys and 3519 verts.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 05:26
Nice, nice, looks game ready right there! That isn't that bad for such a detailed weapon, nice job!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 20:37:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 20:37:14