Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Publishing to iOs via jaibrake

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2011 23:35
Hi

I know that you will need a mac, or at least be able to emulate a MAC on your windows PC to publish to the appstore. Besides that you need to get the app aproved by apple but you have to pay a fee to be able to submit apps to the appstore.

But my iPod touch is jailbroken so maybe I can publish via Cydia(Jailbrake "version" of appstore). Will I still need a MAC to do that?

Srry about my english im from sweeden
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 00:12
You will still need the Mac to combine the Tier 1 bytecode compiled file with the iOS executable, so yes, either way you'll still need a Mac and XCode if you are going to publish yourself.

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 01:58
You'd need the mac, but not Xcode, so that trims, what, £99 off your total outlay by not publishing in the appstore?

XanthorXIII
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not fond of anyone going this route. For one, you are encouraging people to jailbreak their iPhone. While that in itself isn't a bad thing, a lot of the software that is available is legitimate software that was published on the App Store that was stolen and put out for distribution.
While there are some ways to combat this, no one has a right to pirate anything. No matter what they say, stealing is stealing.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 11:49
OK, im guessing that you don't have a jailbroken iPhone, in fact There is only one "app" that takes the appstore content and gives it out for free and it is not supported by cydia. Sure you can jaibrake your divice for the free content, and that's why I did it but their is a lot more advantages of jailbraking than just getting free stuff...

Any way back on topic. Can't you just use one of those "mac" emulators to run Xcode on. Then publish to cydia without paying the $99 fee of publishing apps to the appstore.

Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
You pirate apps, you're trying to avoid a $99 fee... do you have any sense of money at all? App development isn't for you if you aren't prepared to make even a small financial commitment.

[url=http://steamcard.com/]
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 14:54
@Veron, who said he was pirating apps? Jailbreaking an iPhone is NOT the same as pirating anything, The only way to get pirated apps on the iPhone is with a single app which is even heavily recommended not to download by the "Jailbroken" appstore, cydia.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 17:26
I kind of agree with you veron but I still payed 77$ for AppGameKit and then I have to pay even more just to get the apps into appstore. And i will probably still just release the apps for free anyway.

BTW i'm 16 so i don't have an infinite amount of money...

Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 17:29 Edited at: 8th Aug 2011 17:31
Quote: "Jailbreaking an iPhone is NOT the same as pirating anything"

Well aware of that as I have a jb'ed iP4 myself.

Quote: "@Veron, who said he was pirating apps?"

Quote: "Sure you can jaibrake your divice for the free content, and that's why I did it"

I took that to mean he did. Maybe he meant all the other free stuff available on Cydia though, although I doubt it.

But yeah I know what you mean Zoq, it is annoying to have to pay an extra fee to Apple, especially when you won't/don't intend to make any money off the apps you publish, but sadly that's just the way it is.

[url=http://steamcard.com/]
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 20:28
You can download XCode for free, without paying the $99 fee. They give you access to most of the developer site when you sign up, and part of that access is the downloads area where you can get XCode. You don't have to pay the $99 fee until you are ready to publish.

To publish an AppGameKit app (Tier 1 or Tier 2) you WILL still need XCode.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 21:54
Awsome, so you can create an IPA file with XCode and then upload it to cydia?

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 22:10
I can't say for sure since I haven't gone through the process of making a publishable app with XCode yet, but that would be my guess.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
You cannot create an .IPA file with Xcode unless you pay the $99 dev fee to apple and have code signature files.

You can test your game in the emulator without problem though.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2011 21:38
Ah, ok. That sounds bad, I allso looked in the cydia FAQ. And running an app in via cydia dosn't sound easy eighter

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
just for the sake of curiosity, what do Cydia developers use to compile Cydia apps?
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2011 23:51 Edited at: 15th Aug 2011 00:03
Im not sure actualy...

I can try and find something about that in cydia

Edit
After some very quick googling I found this.
http://antirez.com/page/iphone-gcc-guide.html

It seems qute complex but it shuld work I think. From my understanding it uses the same code...

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Fortunately there is an alternative, the Open Toolchain: it's a special GCC compiler able to emit code for the iPhone CPU (and other tools to create the final executable).

The Open Toolchain can be used from your Linux box, this is how most developers are using it. This guide instead is about using the Open Toolchain directly inside the iPhone!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
So basically one has to use a GNU compiler... on LINUX.
I don't know why LINUX is suggested, GNU is available on all major platforms, so I would guess even Windows compiling would be possible.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 05:52
Hi Guys,

The good news is that AppGameKit apps are designed to be almost identical across all the platforms allowing for little things like aspect and input method. Your Windows IDE and AppGameKit Player are great simulators for iOS, Bada and MeeGo. What you see and hear on Windows will be on the other devices

When the time comes to publish your app, just send it to us and we'll take a look. If it's a decent effort, the profits from your first app could buy you a Mac and all the Apple registration fees too You can always pick up a Samsung Bada phone as your 'phone test' device too, which is not too expensive, very fast and a great resolution. Not as much system memory as an iPhone but that will help you design a memory efficient app

Also, I am pretty sure the latest XCODE is free now (Version 4), and AppGameKit has compatible project files for this edition of the IDE for all you T2 users.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 08:59
So you are saying that we can publish to the appstore via TGC

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Xcode was always free as far as I know!
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 14:41
Yes I think XCODE was free, certainly with the iOS Developer Program. And yes TGC will be able to help publish your titles on your behalf, we are just working through the particulars before we open up this service. Let's see what you can create first

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 12:24:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 12:24:49