Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Sniper simulation WIP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 16:15 Edited at: 9th Aug 2011 22:22
So I've been working on my main project for now, but it has been temporarily frozen for summer activites and I need to kind of get away from the writer's block so I decided to finally reveal this project in TGC to get some inspiration.
It has been gaining massive recognition on Youtube, and some game forums.
(50 000 views on the first video, 15 000 total views on the other two)

So let's hear about the game, or it's pretty much a hardcore simulation.
I'll introduce the gameplay mechanics for now, as the storyline, setting etc. are still just thoughts and the game would be probably divided to episode 1 and 2. Giving any hints of this would be massive spoiler, so I'll leave it for now.
So when I said simulation, I really meant simulation. There is no HUD(crosshairs, hp bars)
There will be full physics, accurate scale, enviromental factors, realistic gun operating and everything.

Some key features listed (@time from the WIP2 video):
2 camera scope system with blur
Ground based dust when shot* @0:45
Animated scope adjustment* @0:55
Optical shadow(still experimental, works just by delay, not position) @1:30
Free look @2:30
Full body system(not just character legs, but the actual full body) @4:30
Bullet enter and also exit holes based on material
Aiming offset depending of stance(shooting while standing will offset the scope after shooting way more than in prone)
Different path for the scope and barrel

*AFAIK never been done in games before.

And some basic features:

Seconday weapons
Flashbangs with flash effect
Interactable world
Crouching, standing, proning, sprinting etc.

Still to come:

Fully functional wind meter, such as Kestrel
Ballistics
Particles
Dismembering limbs

Here is some media:

Second video, released in Mar 2011(best video):

Third video, released in Apr 2011:

And here is the outdated first video, released in May 2010:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=578aNtGS5rg

My videos can be found on Youtube under the name RealationGames
http://www.youtube.com/user/RealationGames

And non-scaled(1920x1080) screenshot because Youtube compression makes anything look good:
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/401/sniper2011072600073427.png

Huge problem is the performance, this kind of project on DarkBASIC required high-end PC to run, even with these plain graphics without any shadows/post-processing effects.

Game will be(for now) about SWAT sniping, hostage situations, terrorists, bank robbers and such.
Full storyline with plot twists and characters of course.

So give your thoughts about this project... Is Darkbasic up for this kind of games?
At first I planned huge nature environments, but I have to stick with SWAT sniping missions.

I've made everything expect the sounds and place holder models. 3D modelling, animating, coding, designing, textures etc.

P.S.
Here is a fun excessive grass test:
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/5066/sniper2011032117442000.png
Looks quite cool but obviously slow
Did run over 100fps on my high-end PC though.
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 21:58 Edited at: 8th Aug 2011 21:59
Looks really nice! The full body thing isn't done enough in games, and I approve of this a lot. I'd be surprised if the ground dust hasn't been done in commercial games already, but even so, kudos! Looks awesome.

If you want realism and awesomeness, you could do with some work on sounds. Like having speed of sound delay for hitting far off objects, and also having echos off walls, trees etc.

Do you have finite bullet speed? Too many games have the bullet reaching the target the same time it is fired. This approximation is fine for shooting guns in a building, but for sniping? Not so much.

Maybe you should look into using the bipod when you're prone.
TuPP3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 00:25 Edited at: 9th Aug 2011 00:27
Quote: "I'd be surprised if the ground dust hasn't been done in commercial games already"

Would be a surprise for me to find such feature, as modern game companies tend to do only the same stuff the other guy is doing, there is no innovation in FPS genre.

Quote: "you could do with some work on sounds. Like having speed of sound delay for hitting far off objects, and also having echos off walls, trees etc."

Definently, if there is any nature environment at all. If so, I've going to implement sound speed also, used with enemies. If like 2km away, they won't react instantly when shot fired.
I've also planned some "sound sphere" that enlarges and get's consumed by objects, but that might be too heavy calculations.

Quote: "Do you have finite bullet speed?"

Bullet will be a physics object in Newton, so it has speed and decreasing velocity.

Quote: "Maybe you should look into using the bipod when you're prone. "

Yup, I'm going to experiment with a bipod that is deploable on any surface and changes the pivot point to it.

Thanks!
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline

Every time I start working up something I think is coming together "decently" someone makes a mockery of it. Superb. This looks amazing. I've been working on a, sort of, deathmatch FPS that I have yet to post anywhere. This looks amazing, especially the stance changes and scoping (which you claim are placeholders...) I am very impressed... and time for questions... XD
You said you've used Evolved's shaders, advanced lighting?... Becuase it has instated a plethora or problems I have no method of fixing... I've been wondering if I'm the only one here?
Also, when you're placing bullet holes, are you using decals or altering the texture?
and Lastly... Did you make that particle effect yourself??

You'd better finish this my friend... good luck.

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 01:09
Quote: "If so, I've going to implement sound speed also, used with enemies. If like 2km away, they won't react instantly when shot fired.
I've also planned some "sound sphere" that enlarges and get's consumed by objects, but that might be too heavy calculations."

Nice. I'm sure the sound sphere calculation works and is fast enough. However, if you want to make stuff really fast, you can assume that the listener moves much slower than the sound, and therefore you can calculate how much to delay the sound given the distance form the player when the sound is made.

If you want to get really complicated you could use sound cones for bullets passing by, but I don't think anybody would notice that!

BTW you should add zombies.
TuPP3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 13:36 Edited at: 9th Aug 2011 13:39
Quote: "Every time I start working up something I think is coming together "decently" someone makes a mockery of it."

Tell me about it, check out "elite squad unity" from Youtube search. That guy popped up few months ago, does the same features that I have but in graphically more capable engine. I was planning to switch to unity too and he's 100steps ahead of me. Although he has a different genre though, as do you I guess.
This is by no means a mainstream FPS game, this is hardcore simulation. This won't be another COD copy.

Quote: "stance changes and scoping (which you claim are placeholders...)"

Definently place holders, I put up the animation as fast as I could and the player model is just ripped and very low detail in close. I'm on my best in 3D, the weapon model is pretty much finished, but textures are made in a rush.

Quote: "You said you've used Evolved's shaders, advanced lighting?"

Nope, just individual Evolved shaders like normal mapping, foliage shader, reflection, skybox etc.
Advanced lighting would be waaaay too heavy, I got to ditch that graphical stuff.

Quote: "Also, when you're placing bullet holes, are you using decals or altering the texture? "

Decals. I would love to find out texture manipulation for dynamic objects and for curves. I think I found some example regarding to UV map coordinate finding a while away, but I don't remember where and what it was.

Quote: "Did you make that particle effect yourself??"

That smoke effect is done with particle&cloth pack(comes with DarkBASIC nowadays), but it has major disadvantages and it does pretty much nothing but that.

I'm looking into this for particle engine:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=185523&b=1

Dr Tank:
Quote: "If you want to get really complicated you could use sound cones for bullets passing by, but I don't think anybody would notice that!"

That's a neat idea. But I don't know what bullet passing by sounds like so it's quite hard to recreate.

Quote: "BTW you should add zombies. "

Simulation dude, simulation
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 14:43
Quote: "Decals. I would love to find out texture manipulation for dynamic objects and for curves. I think I found some example regarding to UV map coordinate finding a while away, but I don't remember where and what it was."

SvenB's Image Kit V2 would be your easiest option for this I think.

This is looking great! Keep it up

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 21:43 Edited at: 9th Aug 2011 21:45
@baxslash
I know, but Sven removed the example
Quote: "Decals. I would love to find out texture manipulation for dynamic objects and for curves. I think I found some example regarding to UV map coordinate finding a while away, but I don't remember where and what it was"

I was trying to ask RUSSIA how he acieved this effect in Dark Paint, but language translation issues just made it too hard. He worked on the system with GG, so we could bug him together?

I mentioned Advanced Lights because, well, I've been using it (BIG surprise right?) I've been working out many overly complex systems for computers to share workloads when working together, and therefore weaker computers could be pushed past their actual limits. It's a bit hard to judge, but I'm hoping it'll turn out well. Anyways, I feel like I need to have a chat with evolved over a series of bugs driving me MAD. He did a fantastic job but, why is the particle system not compadable with the DoF shader? Sure if these were completely seprate components maybe I could understand... But the 2 are packed together in one product AA is broken, some textures are lit on opposite sides (I think I may be able to fix that one) and the commands won't compile unless they're SPACED PROPERLY, and the #includes must be included in the proper order... and it goes on. It's not all bad but, that's just my tip to avoid it for now

I actually tried implementing that particle system before. It worked nicely, but wasn't compadible either.

Anyways, you're right about our games being very much so different... I'm aiming for a hybrid of... well sort of like every valve game combined minus half-life But more specifically, a cartoonish art style (I wouldn't dream of making it look "real" or exactly play real... just fun.) You may see it around soon... But I won't dare post it as ALL of the visuals are placeholders(and not ones I made either)... and It's likely I'll ditch the DoF shader because it blurs EVERYTHING out dramatically, even when changing the focus tweaks, and all those problems it arose.... I'm not sure where to go with that

Ironically, just as I started this project KIStech posted Fields of War (was that what it was?) I haven't heard much from him over there though.

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 10:30
If I were you I'd probably avoid the graphics side of things until the engine is further down the road. I have abandoned a few projects because they got screwed up by irrelevant graphical problems early on...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 04:55:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 04:55:09