Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDK Virtualization

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Trying something kind of out there, and I want to hear some input from others.

We are just starting out with virtualization at our institution this fall semester. We are running Citrix Xenapp 6 on Server 2008 r2. I'm trying to get Visual Studio 2008 and Dark GDK to play nicely, but I'm getting error messages about:

.Failed to get device caps
.Failed to find valid stencil buffer
.Unable to create device
.Unable to setup 3D device

Everything compiles and links, but the .exe will not run. Any info or experiences that anyone can share? I can provide more info if you need it.

Thanks

-Take a step back, your problem is easier than it seems. Breath...
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 03:59
Take a step back, your problem is easier than it seems. Breath...

Nice tag...

Have you compiled an example project? or even an empty project?

Without the start of your setup code it's hard to say. Or even where you're starting with GDK...

There's plenty of support here to help you with various problems.

Warning! May contain Nuts!
Mr Bigglesworth
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought that virtualization couldn't run direct3d stuff, because that's sure what it sounds like to me.
Cetobasilius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 11:42
yep, the virtualization does not emulate a decent videocard, thats whats happening. no virtualization software out there has a good emulated videocard. sorry, you will not be able to run almost anything that needs direct3d. I remember this happens with virtualPC, it emulates a 16mb videocard which is not even mediocre.

hi
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 17:55
The only virtualization software that emulates a relatively decent video card(256MB) is VMWare's Workstation program.

irvman17
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the quick responses on this one. I was on the phone with our support partner, and he verified that it makes sense. With that...

Is there anything that can be done to emulate a better video card? Another question I have is can we possibly use a Xen Desktop deployment for this program?

I guess that last question is based somewhat off of Dar13 with the VMWare comment.

Once again, I really appreciate the assistance!

-Take a step back, your problem is easier than it seems. Breath...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-02 19:27:35
Your offset time is: 2024-10-02 19:27:35