Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Directional Lighting in x10

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2011 21:23
I'm sure many of you are already aware of this but for those who are not, the technique described by "uzi idiot" for directional lighting works quite nicely in x10.

Here's the thread by uzi idiot:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=186793&b=21
ThoughtWire Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2011 22:08
Looks nice srealist, I was gunna try it in X10 but didn't get around to it.

[center]

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2011 22:31
Yeah, I hadn't either and when I had read about it in x9 before I thought it was a feature in the code base rather than a technique.

I've made a few other meshes and poked some holes in them to achieve different effects and it is pretty sweet. I made a basic sphere and then deleted a few faces on it to make a disco ball effect.

The one thing I really wanted but could not do....was to make the entity dynamic so I could animated it and thus make an animated light but the shadowing effects are handled differently for dynamic entities and it didn't work.
Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2011 23:22
Very nice.

This one a game for learning about caves?

Cheesehead for life.
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2011 23:54 Edited at: 13th Aug 2011 23:55
LOL...yeah kinda. It's within the coal mining game. We are addressing geology, engineering, ecology, and chemistry, among other things.

To keep it fun, there is a section where the methane levels are really high and if you try to mine (blammo). Later on a section of the mine collapses and you have to smash your way out of some clutter to get to some pipes which you tap on to signal for rescue.

I have them enter the coal seams by taking an elevator ride from level 19 to level 4 at speed=50. It takes a bit but it's provides some time to sneak in some education and adds some suspense.
ThoughtWire Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2011 00:28
I really want to see these games you've been making!

[center]

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2011 01:21
@ThoughtWire, thank you and lemme talk with my supervisor next week about putting up some of the games here. They will ultimately be a small part of a much larger project and available for any and everyone to download. However, that won't be 'til 2012 or 2013.

My only hesitation is based on some issues connected with a certain subset of a particular political party and their dislike for federally funded research and development. LOL...but I think this should be no problem and I would really like to post the games here as I complete them rather than wait until the whole thing goes live.
ThoughtWire Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2011 11:37
Quote: "My only hesitation is based on some issues connected with a certain subset of a particular political party and their dislike for federally funded research and development. LOL..."

Quite a mouth full to say really Though if you cant release them it's fine; I'll just wait

[center]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:40:01
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:40:01