Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / File size 875kb for small model?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 08:23 Edited at: 20th Aug 2011 10:17
Hello everyone,

So I just made my very first animated enemy for my game and I went to load it into my game. I wanted to have quite a few of these chasing the player at once, but simply putting 20 of these on a shelf and doing no other computing brings down about 20 fps! just to render them! I would be happy to here any ideas about why the file size is so big.

Thanks everybody!

Oh, file attached in .x format

The fastfood zombie killer

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 04:51
You may need to just post a pic, you won't get as much results without giving us a picture since most people won't want to download the model.

My Mind is very odd, it can memorize hundreds of commands, memorize 2 dictionary's worth of words, and make detailed 3D models. Yet my mind has trouble with the most simple calculations.
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 10:12
Roger, my bad. Good idea...one sec...

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 13:34 Edited at: 20th Aug 2011 13:36
Quote: "why the file size is so big."

I'm not sure, but it might have something to do with the way the file is compressed. I'll download and see if I can shrink it.

EDIT:

Okay doke, 61 kb and attached:

I make serious coffee - so strong it wakes up the neighbors.
http://serygalacaffeine.deviantart.com/
Twitter:@Serygala

Attachments

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 15:19 Edited at: 20th Aug 2011 15:30
Quote: "I would be happy to here any ideas about why the file size is so big."

From what I can see, it looks like Blender's telling you that your model is made up of 2,538 polygons. Assuming that number is quads and not triangles (convert to tris by selecting the mesh and pressing ctrl+t), each one of those enemies would be around 4,500 polys or so.

4,500 x 20 = 90,000 polygons rendered.

Showing a wireframe of the mesh wouldn't hurt. Looking at the model, it doesn't seem like you should need more than 1,000 tri/polys or so to achieve the same result. If I had to guess without seeing a wire frame, I'd say that thing's 'teeth' have too many verts.

EDIT: Just noticed the download. The faces are tris, so 2,538 x 20 = 50,760 polygons rendered. Assuming you're using FPS Creator, that would explain your slowdown. Have you tried placing just two or three of these enemies in the engine and getting a count on your FPS from there?

Also, you want to get into the habit of deleting any faces that will be unseen by the player. The teeth for example, were hiding 1,000 faces (see attached screenshot) in them that the player will never see. If you take those out of your mesh as I did, you'll cut your creature's polycount down to about half. The number of verts that make up each of the teeth was also a bit high. You should be able to get away with 10 verts for the cylinders that make up the teeth, or even fewer, depending on the scale of these monsters in game, and how well you can mask lower poly mesh areas with your texture work. Hope this helps.

Kravenwolf

Attachments

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 18:14
If i were you, I'd use a 6 vert cylinder. Once it is put in the engine, the lack of verts really won't be noticeable at all, Especially since they'll be so small.

My Mind is very odd, it can memorize hundreds of commands, memorize 2 dictionary's worth of words, and make detailed 3D models. Yet my mind has trouble with the most simple calculations.
Pbcrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 20:05 Edited at: 20th Aug 2011 20:06
2.5k tri's for that little thing?!?! Geeze, you could get away with...

Lol, all it is is a couple cubes, fastened together in the rear. And you don't need each of those teeth to be a seperate... mesh piece. Just take them all, and turn them into two tri's on each end, and a quad run the length of the mouth, then in the texture, just make the quad a transparency with a bunch of teeth on it.

Attached is a screenie of my redo, w/ wireframe.

Attachments

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 21:55
Thanks for all the help everyone. This is my first model I've made with the exception of levels in 3dws.

@Wolf: How in the world did you do that!

@Cravenwolf: I'm using dbpro, but I need every little performance squeeze I can get, and loading these guys in was obviously a big setback.

Thanks again everyone, time for me to open up blender If anyone wants to see the game the model is going into: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=184869&b=8

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 13:09:36
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 13:09:36