Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / App Game Kit is Released!

Author
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 11:09 Edited at: 15th Aug 2011 11:10
We are proud to announce that AppGameKit is now available for download to all those that pre-ordered it.

Let us know your initial thoughts and any issues in this thread.

I also want to say a huge thank you to Paul, Mike and Lee who have worked very hard this past year making AGK. They created this amazing product and have dealt with every issue that has come up with great resolve and professionalism.

This is just the start of AGK. It's the foundation technology that TGC will be using and developing. By working with our great community we plan to ensure it grows into an amazing game making tool.

Big thanks to all the beta testers, you all did an amazing job!

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
AmbulanceGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 11:15
Is there a free trial? I didn't see a link on the site so I'm guessing that got axed?
Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 11:33
Hi Rick,

just downloaded the AppGameKit and tried to install it. But I got an error and the installation terminated.

It says that there was an error while installing, then aborting the installation.

I've a german Windows 7 64Bit, 8GB RAM.

If there's a way to log the installer then I can send you a more detailed info.

Life is good!
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 11:36
Hubdule, do you have any more details on the exact error message? Please post here or contact me directly using mike@thegamecreators.com and I can help you solve this.
Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 11:44
Hi Mike,

I tried to install it again to get screenshots but now the installation showed no error message. The error occured near the end of the installation. I try to unsinstall it now maybe then I get the info. Keep you upated ...

Life is good!
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 11:53
Hubdule, this link may help us to obtain more information about the problem: http://csi-windows.com/toolkit/windowsinstallererrors
Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 12:02
The application log from windows gives me the following errors:

Product: App Game Kit -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action _561D31AE_FC41_410D_9DF7_E1050EFA04C1, location: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\DXSETUP.exe, command: /silent

and

A Windows Installer-Transaktion gets aborted ...

I think it has to do with the DirectX setup and I hope that helps.

Life is good!
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 12:17
Hubdule, Thanks for the info. Is it possible you can send me the full install log. Details on how to get it are here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 12:36 Edited at: 15th Aug 2011 12:38
Hi,

I've got a different problem. Around 90% of the time I can't compile as I'm being told I need admin permission. Everything is set for full permissions, and occasional I'm suddenly able to compile.

Attempting to change the project seems to cause this, but then even projects that have compiled, now don't. Incidently, my very first attempts at compiling worked without any issues.

Windows 7, 64bit, SP1.

http://jimjamsgames.yolasite.com
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 12:39
Scene Commander, can you try right clicking on the main executable, select properties and then make sure run as administrator is ticked. Can you also let me know where AppGameKit is installed.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 13:06 Edited at: 15th Aug 2011 13:10
Hi Mike,

Yes, run as administrator is ticked, not only in the main exe, but also in compiler.

The install path is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\AGK

Please bear in mind, that everything worked without any issues when I first installed AppGameKit, it was only when I attempted to change to another project, also please note, that occasionally, the projects will suddenly compile.

*UPDATE*

The problem appears to be related to projects that aren't included in the workspace. It this a requirement of the editor?

http://jimjamsgames.yolasite.com
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Problems using Tier 2.

I am using VS2010 (full version not express)

Examples are saved in VS2008 format, so the first thing that happened is that VS2010 took like 10 mins to convert everything to VS2010 format.

In Debug mode examples compile fine.

However in Release mode, all hell breaks loose!!

There are some PATH problems with the ADDITIONAL INCLUDE DIRECTORIES and ADDITIONAL LIBRARY DIRECTORIES. In Debug, the paths are set fine, in release the paths are missing \ide\ . Please try to fix this. There are some other paths typed in wrongly in RELEASE as I still got an error, "cannot find AGK.h". I typed the full path in main.h myself for now.

Did all work. NO!

I still got this error: The object or library file '..\..\..\..\ide\platform\windows\Lib\Release\AGKWindows.lib' was created with an older compiler than other objects.

Do I have to rebuild the .lib for VS2010?

It seems that even getting the examples running is going to prove a bit problematic.

Also i couldn't find the empty project template. Can you kindly direct me if it's hidden inside some folder?

Another thing that bothered me is that all media has to be placed in a MEDIA directory, which seems hardcoded in AGC. Can this be changed?
AppStar
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "
Hi Rick,

just downloaded the AppGameKit and tried to install it. But I got an error and the installation terminated.

It says that there was an error while installing, then aborting the installation.

If there's a way to log the installer then I can send you a more detailed info.
"

Hello Hubdule! I have Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate in German too. And at me it runs but can you try to explain the error exactly or say what the error Message is?

Best greets
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Another issue with the VS2010 Tier2 version:

SetVirtualResolution is opening a wider screen with black borders on the sides, not the actual size specified in the parameters.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 13:36
bjadams, an update will be coming soon to update the Tier 2 projects in release mode. You can find a template in AGK/IDE/templates/template_vs9.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 13:38
SetVirtualResolution only sets the internal resolution. If you need to make the window larger go into CoreForApp.h and edit the defines for DEVICE_WIDTH and DEVICE_HEIGHT.
Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 13:56
@AppStar,

I posted the error message above. It looks like AppGameKit installs a DirectX Version which closed down with an error message. After the second installation everything works perfectly. No errors anymore.

Life is good!
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 14:07 Edited at: 15th Aug 2011 14:08
I have an issue trying to load an image. It tells me "Fails to load image at line 10."
Line 10 consists of "MMImage = LoadImage( ".\Media\Textures\MMLogo.jpg" )"

I've tried removing the path, and just having the image name (and having the image in the root folder) but it won't work.

What schoolboy error have I made today! lol

*edit* I've even tried the full path too.

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
In the meantime I tested iOS Tier2 in Xcode and all seems to be working fine.

There are some little mistypes like "appt::" instead of "app::" so the first example I loaded did not work! My Luck!

I compiled some examples and ran them fine on my 3GS!

Interestingly all media is put in the default directory with the main app, not in a media folder like with the Visual Studio version on Windows.

I still get a few warning errors, which I will report at a later date, but I guess that they are not fatal.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 14:27
Apologies for the problems you have been experiencing. We're on the case fixing things and will be producing a patch as soon as possible.

Mobiius, there is no need for you to specify the Media folder in your path. Change the line to "MMImage = LoadImage ( "Textures/MMLogo.jpg" ).

bjadams, the root directory is treated as the media directory in Xcode. It's something we need to clear up in the documentation. You can have sub folders if you like, it's just for ease of use when I built the Xcode projects I dropped everything into the root folder.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 14:36
Quote: "Mobiius, there is no need for you to specify the Media folder in your path. Change the line to "MMImage = LoadImage ( "Textures/MMLogo.jpg" )."

Fixed it! Thanks a bunch!
Perhaps this could be added to the documentation??

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Mike, i prefer the ROOT folder as base! We can then define our sub directories as we like and put music in MSX dir, background graphics in BG dir, etc...

Right now this works fine in Xcode for iOS.

But in Visual Studio, MEDIA folder seems to be the Base. At least the examples I loaded worked like that. Or am I wrong, as I have not tested the template yet, and did something from scratch?
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 14:54
Media folder is the base for Visual Studio. You can layout sub directories however you like. Will find out if we can change the Media folder.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
for me needs ROOT as base dir will work best.

even if there's some extra compiler directive I can include to make root as base will be good enough.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 15:20
Quote: "Is there a free trial?"

I am starting to see this question a lot.
If you guys want to try coding, then go try DarkBASIC professional for free.
The languages are very similar, so if you like DBP then you will like AGK.

Quote: "We are proud to announce that AppGameKit is now available for download to all those that pre-ordered it.

Let us know your initial thoughts and any issues in this thread."

YAY!!!
Thanks Rick, and I will post any issues here, if I have any.
I just finished downloading, so I am off to get my feet wet.

Quote: "I also want to say a huge thank you to Paul, Mike and Lee who have worked very hard this past year making AGK. They created this amazing product and have dealt with every issue that has come up with great resolve and professionalism."

Yeah, thanks guys.
We love you!!!

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
What do you need a trial for? All the info you need is out there now.
There are a couple of game examples included and all works fine.
If you have in mind to do similar games, just go and buy it now!
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 15:54
bjadams, we're removing the need for the media folder in Visual Studio, next version will use the root. I will also update all the examples to reflect this change.
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 16:06
Where do I get the player/listener app for my iPad? I've searched teh app store for AppGameKit and App Game Kit and AppGameKit player.

2Beastmode4u
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 16:14
I was just wondering what the image joiner tool is? I'm about to download it. Just want to be sure I need it.

Cheers.

God help me, Please.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 16:19
Details on the image joiner tool can be found in the documentation by visiting the utilities section. Direct link: http://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/utilities/0_image_joiner.htm
2Beastmode4u
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 16:20
Thanks.

Cheers.

God help me, Please.
Jimmanator
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hi Rick,

If there's a way to log the installer then I can send you a more detailed info."

I had the Same Problem ,After about the 10th install it finally worked worked.

Windows 7 64bit
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 16:44
Rich Dersheimer, the iOS player is still under review with Apple.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Mike, thanks for the MEDIA folder in VS!
Steve O
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 17:06 Edited at: 15th Aug 2011 17:10
So happy AppGameKit is out!
I'm playing around with the example projects for iOS in Xcode on my MacBook Pro.
Everything is working fine!

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Steve, do you get any warning errors in Xcode or are you just testing in the simulator?
Steve O
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 17:13
@ bjadams: I'm testing everything for iOS in the iPhone/iPad Simulator and everything is working fine.

Are you developing for Mac OS or iOS?

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
iOS & compiling to device not simulator. all works fine but i get about 8-10 warning errors using the examples. i am using xcode 3.
will make a note of the errors and report later...
2Beastmode4u
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 17:41
Quote: "iOS & compiling to device not simulator."

The player isn't for IOS yet though? So how is that possible to test it?

Cheers.

God help me, Please.
Steve O
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 17:50
Quote: "The player isn't for IOS yet though? So how is that possible to test it?"

We're talking about compiling to the iPhone Simulator and iDevice in Mac OS X, not the AppGameKit player.

2Beastmode4u
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 17:58
Oh, so your just sending it to Mac. My mistake.

Cheers.

God help me, Please.
slyvnr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 17:59 Edited at: 15th Aug 2011 18:01
Download, Installed no problems, Open the examples.workspace and get everything opened in the Workspace pane.

I then select and expanded the "Games - SmackIt"
Double clicked on "Main.agc" under sources and loaded the source
Looked through it then clicked Run.

The system stated program had not been built and asked if I wanted to build the project. Clicked yes program built and then executed.

Program ran just fine.

Closed the running program. Closed the "Main.agc" file.
Opened a different "Main.agc" file under a different example.

Clicked Run and the "SmackIt" program ran.

Figured the program is running the last built program so manually rebuilt the "Main.agc" of the new program, then clicked run. "SmackIt" program ran again.

Closed AppGameKit and reopened. Opened the "examples.workspace" file again, went to the "Games - SantasBadElf" opened the "main.agc" file, clicked on "Build->Compile" output shows:
"Compiling: main.agc
Complete."

Click on run and the "SmackIt" program runs.

Closed program. Closed AGK.

Made sure AppGameKit is executing as Administrator. Restarted AGK.

Moved to the "Examples->Games->SantasBadElf" opened the "SantasBadElf.cbp".

Clicked "Build->Compile" then "Run", program ran correctly.

Not sure why the programs do not build correctly and run within the Workspace. Only way, I can get the examples to build and run is to open each individual project file.

If I open and Close individual projects within AppGameKit IDE I can build and run each example. It is only if I try to do it using the "examples.workspace" file to display all of the examples in the IDE as shown in the "Guides/10_ide.htm" file that I have the problem.

Kevin

Slyvnr
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 18:02
If you right click on a project and choose "activate project" that will be the one that is run, the currently open main.agc doesn't influence it.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 18:04
Of note, I find that workspace thing very annoying! Opening the source should automatically activate the project..

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 18:07
Can I just say I love this! The language is so similar but if anything slightly more intuitive than DBPro. I'm going to have fun making my first few games on AppGameKit I just know it.

Conversion of my existing box2d game will be the acid test for me.

Excellent work guys!

slyvnr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 18:12
Interesting.

After using the right click "Activate Project" now when I double click to open projects it is automatically "activating" that project so that when I run or build/run it is the selected project.

Thanks!

Great work. Love the program so far.

Kevin

Slyvnr
Jimmanator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 18:12 Edited at: 15th Aug 2011 18:15

I Played around with agk for a little bit and it is very awsome!

I found a bug: if you run agk at the same time as dbpro then the mistakes in your code go to the dbpro editor and highlight a random line in the dbpro editor and show no errors in the agk window.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
2Beastmode4u, I am working in Tier2 not Tier1.
Jimmanator
Years of Service
User Offline
where do i post agk code snippets?
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2011 23:59
Congratulations TGC for bring this to us.

My only frustration now is waiting for it to download - currently predicting 2hrs @ 55kbs....better get some red bull in!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 18:09:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 18:09:28