Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / App Game Kit is Released!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
Just downloaded the Mac AppGameKit and it looks like it was packaged as a *.pkg (was expecting a *.dmg). Anyways, I clicked on the file and followed instructions and where is the IDE to start? I can't seem to find it. It looks like it created a folder in Applications but nowhere is the IDE can be found. Please help.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 10:38
Only Tier 2 development is supported on Mac OS X. At the moment Tier 1 is Windows only. You can also use Tier 2 on Windows.
JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2011 18:49 Edited at: 16th Aug 2011 18:58
Hey guys, Nice work on the 2D app game kit. I was wondering, is the 3D version a separate price ? AND is this price to be a yearly thing ? Are there ANY yearly fees / prices to this or to the 3D version in the future ?

Also are the upgrades free, like they are for DB Pro ?

EDIT : Scratch what I asked about Upgrades,I just read on the AppGameKit website that only minor updates are free. So even though DBPro has major updates over time that are free, this one does not. Only bug fixes. Good to know. I guess that also means the 3D version of this would be a separate price then since its a Major upgrade.

I am still curious if this is a yearly price though like some of the other APP Kits out there.

"If you can sing that high, you must have been kicked in the crotch a little too hard."
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 06:13
We avoided the subscription route as we feel once you've bought something it should be yours to keep. There will be 'major' upgrades in the future which include new tools, features and platforms for an upgrade fee, but this is entirely optional based on whether you want or need the extra toys.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 02:13
Good to see you on here for once, Lee. You don't often get out of.....I was going to say "the office" but since you would be replying from the office it's a bit irrelevant.

Quote: "We avoided the subscription route as we feel once you've bought something it should be yours to keep"

Just as well! I would hesitate to buy AppGameKit at all if it required a yearly fee.

Quote: "I was wondering, is the 3D version a separate price ?"

There's going to be a 3D version??? YAY!!! I thought it would purely 2D!

Really, though, is there going to be a 3D version?

I love the way since this thread started it has been instantly flooded with bugs and problems! I suppose DBPro had that when it as first released - probably more so.

Clonkex

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 02:24
Sorry to double-post.

I just looked at the AppGameKit docs on the AppGameKit site. I AM EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Especially since it will support 3D commands in the future! Wow, this is like THE ultimate game creation tool!

Clonkex

P.S. I wouldn't normally use more then 3 exclamation marks but I decided to do it this time because it really is exciting

JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Yea, I'm more or less going to hold off from buying this until its gone 3D. Until then, I'll use the free apps out there that allow you to make 2D stuff for phone devices. There are plenty. But 3D on the other hand, no one has done yet for free. So once this app kit can do that, then I am fully interested and would be willing to buy it. The free apps are not using the BASIC language, but 2D apps are easy to create in practically any language. 3D on the other hand is a totally different ball game.

I look forward to your new 3D version. Keep up the good work guys.

"If you can sing that high, you must have been kicked in the crotch a little too hard."
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 10:00
Quote: "I'm more or less going to hold off from buying this until its gone 3D"

You could be waiting years.

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 10:18
Quote: "You could be waiting years."

Exactly. I like making 2D games, but DBPro isn't very well suited to making them. So I am going to buy AGK. Plus I want to get it soon and if I wait till September I will have to buy it at full price. I could wait until it came down, I suppose, but that might be years. I can just afford ~$80. I can't afford ~$112.

Clonkex

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 14:05
@ The TGC Team: There is one aspect of AppGameKit I really want to thank you guys for. In DBPro, when loading images and switching to other windows, using alt-tab etc you would have to reload the images back into the program or else it would crash. In AppGameKit, I tried to crash my program but was unsuccessful. So thank you for taking this heavy burden off our backs, I (and I'm sure everyone else who uses AGK), am very appreciative.

Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 23:55
@ Everyone.

Just ordered the AppGameKit, I have an Android phone, so plan to write and test using Windows 7 for now, then as soon as the Android platform upgrade is released (soon I hope) I will be ready to test and publish (maybe).

StevenP
Years of Service
User Offline
I finally got the go ahead from the wife to get AppGameKit but I had a couple questions first before I take the plunge.

1. The AppGameKit web site advertises the following devices will be supported: Android, Windows Mobile 7, Blackberry and WebOS. Will these be a part of the initial purchase price (when they are released) or are you planning on us paying additional money for each additional platform?
2. Does the Tier 1 language support Classes? If not, will they be added in the future?

I also wanted to share a concern. I am wondering if the iPhone\iPod app will be approved (hard to say with the Apple store) and I think this is a big selling point for testing games, so, that part is making me nervous.

Thanks!
JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey StevenP, the thing about apple is they are very strict when it comes to APPs. Its not about the AppGameKit in this case, the competition is tough when it comes to apple accepting apps for the iPhone or any of their devices. I knew a few people that made apps for the iPhone only to be turned for their months of hard work. There is no guarantees when it comes to them.

The one thing they constantly throw in your face is the "virus" issue. In fact this was brought up again just recently when they sued Amazon for the Amazon / Germany Appstore. Amazon no longer accepting apps from germany according to the August 1st info of this year.

http://www.lovefortech.com/2011/08/01/apple-lawsuit-causes-amazon-to-stop-accepting-apps-in-germany/

And if you google anything on this subject when it comes to Apple, you'll see tons of law-suits that apple has had over the past years.

My advice, don't count on making a career on making apps for anything related to apple. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying don't expect anything from them because there is so much competition and they turn down people by the thousands every day.

The only reason I brought up the info about the law-suits is because it goes to show their way of thinking.

MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Naaa, I don't think they turn down that many apps. If you go by they guidelines and use the tools which you are allowed to use, then the chance of getting let down is very slim. Espercially for games.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Steven,

you can create the player yourself (if you have a mac and a dev license) as some on this forum already did.

And Tier 1 has no classes. Simple types and no OOP.
StevenP
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, Mike. BTW, I know you from the PT days(you know who that is.) Good to see you over here.
JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2011 00:14 Edited at: 25th Aug 2011 00:17
Hey mike, yea I can understand that most people dont realize how many app devs there are out there. Most barely make anything off their sales.

Here is just one example as of a year ago.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/16/iphone-app-sales-exposed/

Now if AppGameKit pushes strong in the market, the games for apps should rise in numbers, but the "denials" will also rise as well. Its a tricky numbers game. Even my friends who all were good at what they did and sold a few apps, get denied more often then not. One of my friends in general sold one app, and tried to make more. After 200 apps later he gave up. All 200 were denied. His one app was the only one accepted. And it was the only one that was not a game.

My other two friends are also struggling.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
This one person did 200 apps?
Not so sure if 1 person can do so many good products one after the other...
JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Its obvious that not all 200 were good as apple pointed out. But using your same logic not all could have been that bad either.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@StevenP: Hi Steven. Yip I remember your nickname too. I prepurchased AppGameKit because I like the simplicity and featureset of it. Atm I am working mainly with another tool where I write a book for it. By the end of the year I will dive deeper into AppGameKit to see how I can use it.

@JackDawson: Sure, there will be always denials. Only on the Android Market you can be almost 100% sure that your app goes into there and stays there. The mobile market is overcrowded anyway and making serious money with it is either like winning the lottery or you have to have quite a good amount of apps out there and in total you make good money. I see the game market shifting to a more free2play model, where you make your money through ads and IAP. Tier1 of AppGameKit doesn't support that so it will be interesting which AppGameKit games will be a success.
Anyway, at the end, it is about the game and not the tool you have used to develope it.
JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
@MikeHart You just summed up what I was trying to explain. Its tough out there. The Android phone I was able to make an app for it within a few minutes once I understood the mechanics of it. All I did was use the free App Dev Kit for it. Although I have never made any money off of App Development, I do recognize what your saying about the Ads along with the Apps. A lot of people use Ad Blockers though. I am sure that has already been made for Android apps as well. You cannot do that in iPhone yet that I am aware of. Correct me if I am wrong there.

I use Ad-Block Plus for FireFox to get rid of my ads on computer. But the guy who makes it says he will not make it for other browsers. Its probably why FireFox is now leading the statistics in the browser wars.

With money tight for most folks now days, they are not spending like they used too on apps and games. And with all the indie developers out there now, its getting tougher and tougher to sell anything.

As you said, it all depends on how good the app / software is, which is becoming few and far between.
DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2011 21:53
Mike, according to the FAQ here you will be able to have ads in your games with Tier 1 with a 1.1 update.

Source: http://www.appgamekit.com/faq.php

Q: Does it support advertising platforms like AdMob for monetisation?

A: If you use the Tier2 libraries then you can add this yourself. Apps made in Tier1 BASIC cannot access these features - but we are planning a Version 1.1 update which will add an advertising component to the BASIC language.

App Game Kit (A.G.K.) - Want to be creative on many platforms at once? This is the tool you need.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2011 09:51
Advert support is not quite ready, so it won't make it into the next update.
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2011 11:31
Quote: "so it won't make it into the next update. "

You mean the first update, right? 'cause I'd hate to think I'd missed an update!

So... what is going to make it into the next update? Is there a list of potential added features and bug squishings?

And when will it happen? Hmmmm?

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2011 02:13
Quote: "Is there a list of potential added features and bug squishings?"

Please can we have a list of bugs fixed, please please please!

I love reading changelogs!!

I know, I'm also one of the weirdos who likes reading instructions manuals - every last word. It does mean, however, that I have to spend a lot of time writing changelogs, because I know there are people out there like me, who like to read changelogs and see what things happened to the game/program. Rift has a comprehensive changelog

Clonkex

JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I know, I'm also one of the weirdos who likes reading instructions manuals - every last word. It does mean, however, that I have to spend a lot of time writing changelogs, because I know there are people out there like me, who like to read changelogs and see what things happened to the game/program. Rift has a comprehensive changelog

Clonkex"

count me in as one of those "weirdos" then.. lol
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2011 03:25
Quote: "count me in as one of those "weirdos" then"

lol

Clonkex

P.S. Excluding the quote, my name, and this PS, this is shortest post ever

Jimmanator
Years of Service
User Offline
I love agk,but I bought it so that I could Create games for windows and my mac,but I discovered that the mac agk player does not work with power macs (osx 1.5).

Is it possible to get a player for power macs?
thanks.
LONGFromChina
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm a new learner from China,I knew a lot here.

Maybe someone wants learn Chinese ,please email me,I can also improve my poor English.

My Email: longkean@126.com

I am a student from China,I want to meet some friends like you.THANK YOU!
Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a quick question.

I understand that you're working on making it work for Android 2.3 and better.

Does that mean it will also work for 3.x (Honeycomb)? I would love to use it to make an app or two for Android tablets - a market that isn't exactly crowded at the moment.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 04:45
As I understand it, 3.0 allows backwards compatibility to 2.3 (so the back catalogue of games work on the new platform). Given this, your 2.3 binaries should fire up and run on 3.0 devices no problem. If not, we'll make sure you 3.0 users have an AppGameKit Player right after the 2.3 as been approved.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 00:29
Quote: "I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software."

Only a British guy would say that

Clonkex

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 00:43
Quote: "As I understand it, 3.0 allows backwards compatibility to 2.3 (so the back catalogue of games work on the new platform). Given this, your 2.3 binaries should fire up and run on 3.0 devices no problem. If not, we'll make sure you 3.0 users have an AppGameKit Player right after the 2.3 as been approved."

Sounds good Lee.

@Clonkex: now the question of what kind of tea he drinks arises and what is the desired ratio of cups of tea to hours of coding? 3:1?

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 00:55
Quote: "now the question of what kind of tea he drinks arises and what is the desired ratio of cups of tea to hours of coding? 3:1?"

lol

Clonkex

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2011 12:33
Quote: "now the question of what kind of tea he drinks arises"

Tea? Earl Grey, hot!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2011 13:46
I'm not too Android savvy so sorry if some of these questions are quite...basic. When developing for Android 3.x what resolutions do we set it to (ignoring AGK's scaling for now)? Is it like PC where you have a ton of options which will work on the same device (e.g 640x480, 800x600, 1024x600 all work on a netbook) or are there set resolutions for different devices like with iOS?

Quote: "Tea? Earl Grey, hot!"

I'm more of an English breakfast man myself... And on the offtopic subject of signatures I remember the incident with yours Mobiius. It was around when I just joined these forums and it gave me a bit of a laugh. I see you've still kept the same one since then but I think your avatar has been sped up.

Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "When developing for Android 3.x what resolutions do we set it to "

Typically, it's not that straightforward... Android has its own scaling solution for display http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html Not sure how that's going to deal with AppGameKit, as there is a good chance that depending on your exact resolution and virtual resolution settings, AppGameKit will scale your game, and then Android will rescale it.

However, it seems that most current Android phones run at 480x800, with some newer models supporting 480x854.

Tablet devices can go way higher such as the RIM PlayBook which operates at 1024x600.

I suspect we'll need some clarification from TGC as to how the player app detects the resolution (as defined by in the link above).
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2011 14:42
So it's probably best to let AppGameKit scale it anyway and just develop to 1 or 2 aspect ratios. Thanks Bursar.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2011 17:10
Quote: " I see you've still kept the same one since then but I think your avatar has been sped up."

The avatar is still the same speed. Only my sig text was changed. (Over and over again!)

Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "As I understand it, 3.0 allows backwards compatibility to 2.3 (so the back catalogue of games work on the new platform). Given this, your 2.3 binaries should fire up and run on 3.0 devices no problem. If not, we'll make sure you 3.0 users have an AppGameKit Player right after the 2.3 as been approved."

Sounds very good. Thank you!
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
I am happy to announce that I just purchased my copy of AGK. You gotta love TGC! For The Win!
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 08:28
Quote: "I am happy to announce that I just purchased my copy of AGK"

I don't have any money, otherwise I would have bought it ages ago...

Clonkex

LeGugusse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2011 11:16
My XOOM 2 MEDIA tablet (Honeycomb 3,2) doesn't react to the AppGameKit broadcasting...

And I still not succeeded in compiling my project...

So the mystery of the compatibility with honeycomb stay complete...

Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war
westalke
Years of Service
User Offline
Agk works perfectly fine on my new Acer a200 running android 3.2.1
Westa

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 07:42:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 07:42:05