Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / FPS In The Making (9 Screens + Demo)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 00:01 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2003 00:30
I was originally going to make an FPS for the alienware compo but I do not feel that I will be able to finish in time.

Basically here is a zip for what I have done so far [5MB]:
http://stateproperty.users.btopenworld.com/fps.zip

At the moment I am just making the engine, story and maps come after I have done this. I am currently using Hammer to make my levels but one of the big draw backs with BSPs are that you cannot retrieve the brush entities from the bsp file. In order to have an interesting game things need to happen and so I had to make my own editor for placing them:

Props to RobK if I hadn't have used your pluggin I doubt I would have finished this editor by now.

And here are some screens for all you people that would have to wait half an hour for 5mb

Ive spent most of the time loading up entities correctly and making the doors work so there's no shooting yet, but i'll work on it.

Im quite pleased with what I have done so far, its my first attempt at anything major in DBP but think that I will be forced to start again soon and use cshop for my levels and entities instead due to the limitations of DB's BSP handling. I am constantly finding myself falling through the floor at steps and so a completed game with this bug wouldn't be acceptable

Still let me know what you think, sync rate is capped at 85, I am able to achieve this constantly with an AMD 3000+ and a Geforce 2.
I even got about 60fps on a Celeron 1.5 with intregrated gfx

[EDIT] Controls are in the zip unlike the controlls as I spelt them
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 00:37
Thats looking pretty impressive, but does it handle as well as it looks ....

Brains are for idiots.

Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Some really nice screenshots, is it all your own work? Or are the textures from another game or something?

Pincho.
Ronaldaveo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 00:47
Textures are nicked from Halflife/CS but the map is mine.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 00:50
For some reason the whole map appeared black . I may try it on my other pc when it gets working.

Brains are for idiots.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 00:57
Ok, that was my mistake, I think it was meant to be black, but that's way too black. It handled ok until I fell through the floor , a bit slow, but i was at 40fps. Make the guy stand up slowly, like he crouches down, but it was too dark to see anything, I couldn't find all those places in the screens.

Brains are for idiots.

Ronaldaveo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 01:02 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2003 01:22
I think there might be a problem there :/ I took those screens just by pressing print screen so what you see there you "should" see when you load it. I get a problem like this on my laptop with SiS graphics where the map doesnt render at all and you just get a blue backdrop and the .x objects, but its fine on my Geforce 2.

[EDIT] Just got two friends to run the zip and it worked fine for them, one has a Radeon 9800 and a P4 2.4Ghz the other a Geforce 2 and P4 2Ghz both at 85 fps.
granada
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2003 21:22 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2003 21:26
refug

I got constant 59 fps,found all doors.
showed as in the screen shots
waiting for more

dave
athlon 1.3,windows xp home,512ram,gforce 5600256ddr

just trying to learn
athlon 1.3,windows xp home,512ram,gforce 5600256ddr
Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
All I witnessed was a door or two and a few textures. Then I walked through the door and fell through the floor. I was expecting to land on something but instead I kept on falling forever! I'm really confused here...

"Power, precision, and don't forget about speed. If you practice everyday with these things in mind... you begin to develope A FIGHTING MODE." - Fist of Legend (Jet Li)
Ronaldaveo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2003 15:32
Well seeing the problems that bsp has caused I think I will move on to .x, APEXnow's .map -> .csm converter works very well and in cshop I can make entities easier. Maybe its for the best anyway. When I get something substancial done i'll post it
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2003 01:08
looks nice RefuG please email me as I might be interested in helping/making multiplayer

Jeriko The Slyz,Yian The Craft,The Mechanist,The Lost One,Master Of Dots,Bambos O Bellos,Zolos O Kolos
Ronaldaveo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2003 01:36
Cool thanks for your offer, I wouldnt know where to start with multiplayer so I wasn't going to include one, I will let you know when I have something worth showing as im deffinately starting over. Im not sure how long it will be though.
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2003 03:09
I got 60 FPS, it'd be nice if you added a take off the cap option so i could see how fast it really runs.

The level is pretty cool, just like a CS level, except the collision is very iffy, I'm constantly falling out of the bottom of the map. But the whole level is good.

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2003 08:53
hey RefuG, can you email me? barrettm80@cox.net I have a couple of questions.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 00:29:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 00:29:23