Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Air control tower ( W.I.P )

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2011 09:55 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2011 21:43
Hey !

I was bored in the morning it's 6 am here I Decided to make something to have fun since that I cant animate till now so I made this Air control tower it's just modeled still need texture I will search for it later I need to sleep xD

so here is screenie

Polygons : 228

- Edit -

after small update

Polygons gone from 228 to 798 low poly

- Edit 2 -

Done modelling now texturing

Polygons gone from 798 to 1211 low poly

Cheers,
Builder
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 06:03
Oh wow nice! but i believe you could put a few more polies in it, wouldn't really hurt since many buildings i make for games consist of over 3,000 polies and runs great on my crappy laptop

Good Luck to you.

My Mind is very odd, it can memorize hundreds of commands, memorize 2 dictionary's worth of words, and make detailed 3D models. Yet my mind has trouble with the most simple calculations.
GameBuilder
Years of Service
User Offline
Travis Thank you !

I don't like adding many polies I like my models to be less than 1,000 but in weapons it will be more than that

and I wish you tell me where to add the new polies ?
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 01:52
well, possibly put some lights on the wall, add a little more detail to the doors, add an inside room, that way when you can actually see through the windows, you will see something inside instead of only inside of the model. make the inside room really low detail though because it's only gonna be for looks.

You can have a little freedom on buildings but watch yourself on things like weapons, characters, and random debris because there will be alot of them on the screen at one point or another. Buildings aren't always on the screen, therefore will not always be in the render queue.

My Mind is very odd, it can memorize hundreds of commands, memorize 2 dictionary's worth of words, and make detailed 3D models. Yet my mind has trouble with the most simple calculations.
baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 00:22
Looking great so far!

I agree with Travis on everything he's suggested, to be honest.

I found this on Google - perhaps you could use it as some inspiration!
http://www.fallingpixel.com/air-traffic-control-tower-3d-model/2137

Keep up the good work!

Boomerang Studios Website -http://boomerang-studios.webs.com
Multiverse: the Free MMO Creation Platform - http://www.mulutiverse.net
GameBuilder
Years of Service
User Offline
@travis gatlin

look I am kind of new on the modeling so can you draw them by paint on the first pic and I will do them

@baconboy2

Thanks

I saw that pics it doesn't look hard I might start working on it right now but as what i said above I am not that good modeler I just started 2 weeks ago
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 04:56
Erm, lol I can't really draw, just use baconboy2's picture, it should give you a good idea on what to draw

GameBuilder
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah I was just doing that now it's kinda hard to do it
GameBuilder
Years of Service
User Offline
I was just asking how to make " Facets " in wings 3D i can't find it :\
baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 11:35
If you're talking about Facet Smoothing, I think you need to select the faces/edges and click Smooth.
I was using Wings3D up until recently, but I realised that the COLLADA .dae exporter no longer worked, and it wasn't being supported anymore. The Multiverse Platform uses this format for all its models, to the convert into Ogre's .mesh, but the exporter was churning out dodgy shapes, so am currently using the trial version of 3DS Max 9 (my laptop can't take anything newer!)

Your current model looks great so far! Keep it up!

GameBuilder
Years of Service
User Offline
yes i am talking about it but thanks god roger told me the way

and thanks I will

P.s : I am going to buy the 3ds max I want to see what it can do
Disrupter52
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, that looks really good. If you dont want to add more polys, then the texturing will have to make up for details. Really good so far, ive tried a lot of 3d software and Wings wasnt bad, but kind of clunky. I prefer 3ds Max and Maya.
GameBuilder
Years of Service
User Offline
Disrupter Thanks - yes of course 3ds max is better never tried maya
Disrupter52
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Disrupter Thanks - yes of course 3ds max is better never tried maya"

I found a student discount to learn both of them, got Maya, Mudbox, 3ds Max, and SoftImage (xsi) for like $300. Learned Maya first on my own, now im learning Max. Max is really better for gaming though, its like a universal standard for game modeling.
GameBuilder
Years of Service
User Offline
Lucky you are

and yeah max is way high for other modelling programs like wings 3D and blender and other stuff it's no. 1
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 00:32
i believe, of the free ones though, blender is best.

GameBuilder
Years of Service
User Offline
@travis gatlin
Quote: "
blender is best"

best for who can use it I tried using both but I can come up with greater things with 3ds max and wings 3D

and I just bought the Auto desk and now waiting for it to arrive
Disrupter52
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with Travis. I learned 3d on Blender and Blender is not to be scoffed at just because its free. Its really powerful and continues to get better and better the more it updates.
GameBuilder
Years of Service
User Offline
But auto desk is better right ?
anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 13:07
I hope you didnt buy it from your "friend"? Cause then Id have to take some action I hope you recall that convo. we had regarding piracy... I hope it hasnt flown out of your head this fast. Anyways, once you receive "3DS Max", can you send me an email PROVING you actually bought it? I would send this to you in an email, but for some reason every email i send you bounces Not sure if it as your end or mine

Nice model BTW

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
GameBuilder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 15:08 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2011 15:11
anayar my engineer did buy it for me and i am still waiting to receive it from him :\ so is this bad too ??

i will what exactly prove that i have it how about sending a pic of the cd or me and the cd as long you dont believe me

and i cant send you too :\ i dont know why hey look add me on facebook i am at the friend list of tim "mohamed osama"

Thanks
anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 16:48
No need, Im not accusing you of anything. Just had to be sure based on some previous convos. weve had

And ill add you on when I get the chance. Cant log in for some reason ATM

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
GameBuilder
Years of Service
User Offline
those previous were only one time mate

ok, i'll try to get you from his account
baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 17:22
Anyway, getting back on to the original topic...

Looking good so far, any idea what you're going to use it for?

GameBuilder
Years of Service
User Offline
what do you mean ? i still dont know what texture to put on it :\
baconboy2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 18:22
Well, are you using this for a game, or are you just making it because you want to model something and bin it later? If you finish it and texture it, you could sell it on TurboSquid for a tidy sum of money!

It could also be used for RTS games, as an airport building perhaps. Though you'd have to reduce the polys a bit for that!

GameBuilder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2011 19:04 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2011 10:06
mmm i would love to sell but i cant sell or buy anything on internet [ModEdit]

and yes i am planning on finishing it but searching for textures now
Disrupter52
Years of Service
User Offline
Look at real air control towers in pictures for textures. You'll want a glass texture (windows) a metal texture for the radar, possibly a different metal texture for the building itself, and at least one more for the roof.
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 01:34
Quote: "But auto desk is better right ? "

Well.... Not necessarily, Blender is quite up-to-par with 3DSMax. Really, the thing your paying for is like 2 extra really advanced features. 3DSMax and Maya are the universal standard for game modeling but Blender is also used alot in indie development, I can almost guarantee alot of these really high budget major networks out here use Blender at least for some things. For example, The history channel uses Blender for alot of their graphical representations of historical scenes. Also, "Syfy" uses Blender for some of their frequent movie productions, Just because you pay for something, doesn't mean it's better than a cheaper or free alternative. You probably should've done a bit more research rather than going as far as buying a $2,000 modeling program, you should've assessed some of the cheaper alternatives, look around some more, there are plenty of free or cheap modeling programs out there, don't assume the expensive choice is the best, cause that's just a good way to waste money.

Disrupter52
Years of Service
User Offline
You really wont go wrong with an investment in 3ds max, but if you dont need it or dont have money to burn, then Blender is a strong choice. Travis is right, expensive is not always best, but a lot of people assume such and are fooled and regret it later.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 16:55:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 16:55:14