Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / popular animation file formats?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 02:09 Edited at: 19th Aug 2011 02:10
Hello everyone,

basically, i'm writing animation system for my engine, i will start on animation soon - since it's using DirectX11 i can't use .X files, so i'd like to know, what are the most popular animation file formats? i have already coded my mesh/model format so, i'm looking for a format that handles skeleton and whatever animation takes only, no model info

does that even exist? :s i can't get any results with google, if it doesn't, what are the most popular formats that supports both animation & mesh? and if you possibly know, simplest one?

now don't laugh at me if that made no sense - but i haven't really used any animation formats nor systems so i don't really know how it looks/how it works yet, does the animation info in the file only handle the bones and their matrices? or there are extra info for weights and whatever? skinning is defined in the file or it's the program's job?

thank you

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 09:54
fbx is a fairly popular format that holds model and animation data. .bhv on the other hand, is used to handle motion capture data(animation only).

I would recommend starting with .md2 or .md3, as there are lots of tutorials that explain how to use both of those formats. Both work in different ways(md2 uses vertex animation, md3 uses bones), so it will give you some insight into how you might want to create your animation engine.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 15:11
alright thanks for your input! i will check out md3 and bhv.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 21:34:12
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 21:34:12