Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Interior Decorating

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2011 21:42
As I've mentioned, I've been working on an Olympic Air Rifle game, and one problem I've been running into is finding good inspiration for designing the arena where the competition is being held. I've searched Google for images of air rifle venues, but all of the pictures I have found are of the shooters themselves and haven't given me good ideas of how the venue looks.

Anybody have any ideas of how I can find some inspiration for how to design the arena? I'm thinking that it would be a large convention center hall that has been converted for the occasion. The shooting line would be about 50 meters from the back wall, and behind the shooter's line is the spectator seating area. But for all the attempts at decorating the walls and hanging up banners and such, everything just looks so bland.
Pbcrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 01:13
Got any screenshots of what you've modeled so far?? We can give you some more appropriate suggestions from there.

And have you considered creating fictional or even irrational settings? Personally, some nondescript white-walled room shooting seems boring. Perhaps some interesting themes such as an industrial factory, an alleyway, or even a scifi space station??

Not only would it make it more fun, but you'd have a lot more for reference too.
PirateJohn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 01:39 Edited at: 20th Aug 2011 01:40
Sounds like an interesting idea. I suppose I could create some extra scenes like that for fun, too. I do also want to create a realistic looking one, too, since I am attempting to make a fairly realistic Olympic Games sim.

Not sure if I plan to sell it in the end, since I am making it mostly for my own amusement, but if I do, I like your idea of crazy settings, since I'd legally be required to strip out all references to the real Olympics.

Anyway, here's one screen shot of my first attempt. Yeah, it's pretty painfully boring. I'm thinking of adding some sort of cement brick texture to the walls, and coming up with some sort of original designs since there aren't any for the London games available yet, other than the crazy looking 2012 logo.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Pbcrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 05:47
Alrighty, well. I'm assuming that little rectangle with a red dot above it is a door in your scene. In which case, there needs to be some more stuff to give the world a sense of scale. Just looking at it, I'm not sure how long or tall that room is in comparison to a person.

I did a few image searches for warehouses and basketball gyms. Albeit, neither of these are what you want, but they could give you a place to start. (I kinda forgot that this was supposed to be Olympic air rifle range, so you'll want something a lot more modern and spiffy than this stuff, but you can use it so far as what sort of structural pieces would go where, just make them look different).

http://www.thesportshouse.net/assets/images/Gym.JPG

I did a quick 3d sketch as well, only maybe 10 minutes, and forgot again that we're talking 2012 Olympics, but you can get some ideas perhaps. I'll see if I can come up with something more interesting in a bit.

Of course, a real modern Olympic stadium would be a whole lot more spiffy. More than likely with a bunch of smooth surfaces and nice round curves...
PirateJohn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 08:20
Wow! Thanks! I like the columns you created. I might try something like that in my version 2.0 that I have been working on. I also happened to find online an artist's rendition of the venue they're building for the 2012 Olympics, and noticed that they're using very different colors in theirs. They are also incorporating orange polka dots. Yup, not kidding.
Pbcrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 19:49 Edited at: 20th Aug 2011 19:49
http://www.london2012.com/the-royal-artillery-barracks

Like this?? Looks to me like it'll be pretty simple. White walls with orange accents, green turf. Purple stadiums and stuff. (Not colors I would have picked for a rifle competition but whatever... lol)

Seems like it'll be a fairly simple layout too, with the stands in a great back room, and then it narrows down to a low slender firing range. I'll see if I can come up with a mockup later.

Hope this helps, can't wait to see your second take on it.
PirateJohn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2011 23:28
Wow, thanks. That is the site I had been looking at, among some others. Interesting the controversy surrounding the construction of that building, too.

I'm thinking I'm likely to make more than one arena, ultimately, especially if I decide to sell the game, since I won't be able to use copyrighted designs. My idea is that, in the end, whoever is playing will be able to decide what country will host the games, and I will design different decor depending on the venue. For now, I'm sticking to London, but I think I'll expand to, say, Paris, Los Angeles, and Tokyo. The fundamentals of the game won't be changed a whisker by doing this.

In the meantime, I started on my design for version 2.0 that still uses blue and green as the base colors. I also have made the arena larger (90m long and 25m tall as opposed to 80m long and 15m tall) and have started working on the spectator area. Originally, the shooting lanes and guides were going to be added in-game, but in this version, they are included in the arena.x file. The shooting tables and targets will still be added in-game via separate models I have created.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Pbcrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 00:37
Lookin' good, if you're going to make it that tall though, be sure to do something besides a tall box. Add in some other forms and shapes to give it a different feel. Tall walls that go to a flat roof are boring.
PirateJohn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2011 09:20
Yeah, my plan is to add some hanging decorations such as banners and flags. I also want to decorate the walls but not sure how. The hanging banners that I used in the first version ended up looking so blah.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 18:46:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 18:46:05