Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / 3d apartment building

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
So this is for the purpose of gaming.

How best would you guys build a full apartment building AND texture it for use in a game?

Im mainly worried about just floors, ceilings, and walls (inside and out).

thanks
GameBuilder
Years of Service
User Offline
I dont actually get what you want can you make it clearer ?
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 05:01
Well, what i usually do, is model everything separate, for example, model 1 window on a different layer, copy it, and move the copy to a different layer, Place it where you want on the main structural model, same for everything else. Works really well for me.

My Mind is very odd, it can memorize hundreds of commands, memorize 2 dictionary's worth of words, and make detailed 3D models. Yet my mind has trouble with the most simple calculations.
Pbcrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 06:32
Depends, is this just going to be a 1 room, or like a whole complex?

If you're just going to make 1 room. I'd make it all one solid piece of geometry (structure wise, props would be another matter). Just make a cube, and invert all the faces for your walls and floor/ceiling, cut them up into equal sized segments all around so you can use the same texture for the walls and tile it all the way around (using less memory for a large room texture wise). Then cut windows and doors out of the walls, or make those as separate props as well.

If you're doing a whole complex or multiple rooms, I'd take a look into modular modelling. Modeling out small sections of the room (like corners, straight walls, ceiling, floors) all as separate entities, and then copying and pasting them to form you whole building (think FPSC, but much more efficient).
Disrupter52
Years of Service
User Offline
I want to make a city, but i feel like its too much for TGC and also just too much in general. Im starting off with an apartment building to do tests. I want to have the inside and outside work. If i do modular rooms and pieces, i can make all the pieces and fit them together, but the more floors or buildings i add, the more resources are consumed to manage them.
Pbcrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 07:55
It shouldn't require much more resources. If anything it'll make up for it in the fact that so much will be instanced.

If done correctly, it shouldn't require any more polies on the screen either way, just that modular is much faster to develop, and probably even take up less memory (everything would just be copies of the original).
Disrupter52
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It shouldn't require much more resources. If anything it'll make up for it in the fact that so much will be instanced.

If done correctly, it shouldn't require any more polies on the screen either way, just that modular is much faster to develop, and probably even take up less memory (everything would just be copies of the original)."

Ok, i see what you're saying. Now, should i basically make one room and then instance it all within DBPro, or within that software? (as opposed to making the whole building in a 3d modeling program)

either way, once all the modules are together, i can probably fit a tight shell around all of it as the external walls for the building.
Pbcrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2011 20:10
I'd make all your modular pieces in the 3d modeler, and then place/instance them within your DBPro app. Copying them within the 3d modeler won't do anything to save you memory space, as they'll be exported as one big mesh as if you'd modeled it all at once.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 17:37:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 17:37:42