Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / DNG - Berzerk! remake [DBP]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2011 05:12
Yeah, I've definitely learned alot from this. Probably not as much as I've learned from my own projects (Mainly due to me coming in late and only doing simple stuff) but I still learned

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2011 07:33 Edited at: 20th Dec 2011 00:49
Hi guys,

Glad you got how the high score stuff went together. I think that thisotherguy is working on scrolling the rooms when the player goes through the door, so we'll see what he comes up with. I am still hoping to be done by next Monday the 7th.

Quote: "Haha, kinda true. LFBN could easily code this by himself, but I think the idea is for us to become better coders, and learn how to work with a team. I know I've already learned a lot!"

Daygamer, you absolutely hit the nail on the head. I understand about you deciding to abstain from the next project. You sound like a busy fellow and I wish you well.

It is very satisfying to me personally to hear you guys say that you have learned from this game. Having fun and learning new things is the whole idea.

Quote: "I'm still here if you need help."

I do have one thought. I need some rocket / missile images for Eddie to shoot at the player. Any chance you could make up something that has a flame tail on it? Maybe 12 X 24 pixels. Horizontal is all that is needed. If not, I can do them, but I thought I would ask.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2011 07:39 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2011 07:43
Ok, I'm not too good at art, but I'll try.

EDIT: DONE! (That was fast O.o )
Its attached, I'll probably work on it more, consider it a beta prototype lol. (Also its in .bmp so you can't view it

Attachments

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2011 08:10
Okay, nice. When you update it can you make additional images so the flame looks like it is flickering? Also, I meant to say vertical instead of horizontal.

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2011 17:01 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2011 17:13
rotate sprite Rocket, -90 ?

Ok, I'll make a vertical image and make images with bigger and smaller flames, though I think I may do a slightly bigger image so I can get bigger and smaller flames. (Just like 4 pixels or something) Though I'll try the original 12 x 24 first.

EDIT: DONE! (Again, alot faster than I thought it would take.)

The only one I think needs a bit of improvement is the middle one, its a little out of control. (ATTACHED)

P.S. Its all one image, like a sprite sheet but with rockets

Attachments

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2011 17:08
12 X 24 seemed like it would work, but is only a suggestion. It would be cool if you could also give the appearance that the rocket is spinning.

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2011 17:14
Lol just edited my other post.

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2011 17:27
okay thanks. I plan to edit it a little bit, but it should work fine.

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2011 17:51
I can also do an exploding animation, maybe after school, but right now, I have school

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2011 18:05
I have some pretty cool explosion stuff already, but you are welcome to come up with something.

It is worth mentioning that I have created an animation that shows Eddie falling backward and then falling face first flat to the ground when he is destroyed.

thisotherguy
Years of Service
User Offline
no way i can get this done by the 7th man havent even got my laptop back yet. i didnt think we had a deadline. right now i suppose the best thing would just be to get it done yourself, ill try to help out on the next project.

Darkseid?
Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2011 02:32 Edited at: 4th Nov 2011 02:49
UPDATE

Explosion images done. (ATTACHED)

The thing I plan to work on is mainly the final 2 explosion animations.
I think I overdid it with the dust, plus it just appears, it has no real origin, so I plan on fixing that and adding more frames.
Other than that I'm pretty pleased with the job I've done.

EDIT: I added those new images, I think it looks way better now, I'll still keep working on it, It's not perfect.

Attachments

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2011 02:34 Edited at: 5th Nov 2011 06:24
Sorry for double, just needed to attach another image.

So I started working on a different one. (This one expands and then explodes, the other one caught on fire and exploded into dust) I decided to have them both attached so you can decide which one is better and which one I should work on.

I personally like this one better, though I think I should add more frames to the expanding and exploding but I can do that later, it's good for now.

Also, this should work for getting all the images? Right? (To be specific, just the top 3 idle/moving animations, it should work similarly for the rest, except that I'll have to do img * 24 * 12, I think...)

Just hoping it is, because if it is, I got it right

Attachments

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2011 07:36
These look pretty good. I will plan to use the 2nd set. I may make a few edits. The actual explosion will need to be much bigger, but I have stuff for that.

I have room 37 in place and the player can shoot Eddie, and he 'lights up' when hit. I haven't done much other than that so far.

I'm thinking about having Eddie mock the player and actually give him some shield power before working to destroy him (that way he will make the humanoid's suffering last longer). The player and Eddie will have health bars over their heads. I don't want the player to be destroyed after one hit with Eddie's laser blasts or rockets. I think it will make for a more interesting finish.

I'm also thinking of ways to make it easier / harder depending upon the difficulty level.

Anyway, these images will help, thanks much.

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2011 07:48 Edited at: 7th Nov 2011 03:15
We should make him lose limbs and sparks fly out of the empty sockets

EDIT: Any updates? I think we're not going to finish by tomorrow lol, but we're really close, now its just the boss and have the robots shoot (We were supposed to do that at some point, right?)

I have a couple ideas for the next project. Though I don't want to distract, I'll tell when we're done.

EDIT: Got a new sig

-------------------------------------------------------------
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2011 03:18
Quote: "We should make him lose limbs and sparks fly out of the empty sockets"

That is actually a cool idea, but the anims are already done for Eddie. With all that needs to be done yet, I really would rather not redo them.

Quote: "EDIT: Any updates? I think we're not going to finish by tomorrow lol, but we're really close, now its just the boss and have the robots shoot (We were supposed to do that at some point, right?)"

No updates worth posting are available. I have been working on the player vs. Eddie scenario and it is difficult going, as AI programming usually is. I am having difficulty with the PLAY SPRITE images. I am just about ready to write my own animation routine as I hate using PLAY SPRITE anyway. It definitely will not be done tomorrow, especially since thisotherguy bowed out . I did say it was a target date, but I should know better than setting one, as it always takes longer than expected. So, we'll finish when we finish; not that big of a deal.

Having the robots shoot is another feature that needs to get put in and it may take some time to get that right. I also have to finish up the high score table, where it checks your score and if you are in the top 10, it inserts your score and allows you to enter your initials, plus saves the file. I only have temporary graphics in place for the final battle, so that will also have to be done.

Quote: "I have a couple ideas for the next project. Though I don't want to distract, I'll tell when we're done."

At this point, I have mixed emotions about even making another game, to be candid. I feel I have had to be more involved in the media creation and coding on this one than I should have been. I would like to have at least two more people to show genuine interest in making a game. I prefer to be more of a guide and helper on the project.

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2011 03:40
I can do some art. The only problem is I'm not too good at people. I can do missles and rockets and terrain and buildings and just general objects, but when it comes to actual characters and animations for them and stuff it takes way to long to actually look good.

Plus the next project I was thinking of doesn't even involve media (Well the first one does)

I might as well just tell you now.

I wanted to do a text adventure creator type thing, so people can place and edit text. Have special events happen. Customize battles and characters and a bunch of other stuff. That would be really cool. If not. I'm fine with that. I'll just keep practicing and stuff until the next project. I thought it would just be a unique idea.

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2011 05:47
I do have a bit of an update, but I am not to the place to where I want to post the code. The final battle between Eddie and the player can be played. Both have health bars over their heads and as they are shot, it diminishes. Once Eddie's health is at 0, he falls face first and dies and the game is over. The player also dies via exploding into nothing.

Eddie rotates right or left and walks that way for a short time. He then rotates back to facing the player. Once he is facing the player, he fires missiles pretty regularly at the player. The animation comes off pretty well in my view. Currently, the player can take 10 missile hits before they die.

The problem I have is that if a player moves up to the side of Eddie, they can blast him without any recourse from Eddie - that won't work obviously. I will have to put in where Eddie can shoot while walking if needed.

It is slow going, but it is at least going.

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2011 06:00
Well can't you just have it so Eddie turns right/left if the player is to the side and keep shooting?

If you don't want it like that, you can always make it so that Eddie jumps onto an unreachable platform or something like that so the player can shoot him but not get to him. Then comes down later on or something. I think it would be kinda cool, but it would take much more work, so keep that as a last resort.

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2011 18:36 Edited at: 8th Nov 2011 19:31
Quote: "Well can't you just have it so Eddie turns right/left if the player is to the side and keep shooting?"

Yes, that was my intent, but the player can shoot at 45 degree angles, and Eddie cannot currently. The player could park at an angle where they could shoot Eddie until his health was gone without getting a scratch. I do not want to make more graphics to allow Eddie to shoot at 45 degree angles. Also, it was hard to have Eddie animate as he moved left / right and still keep pace with the player in easy mode.

So, I've decided to put a force field between Eddie and the player. I have modified the code to allow the player's shots to pass through it. I haven't made up the force field graphics yet, but the player fries if they run into it. I am planning to animate the force field so that it appears to be moving. I think it will work out okay.

EDIT:
Here is an in-game pic; the force field is animated, though you cannot see that here.

Attachments

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2011 01:52
Nice! I can do some force field art, if you want me to. It looks sort of off.

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2011 02:32 Edited at: 9th Nov 2011 20:01
Quote: "Nice! I can do some force field art, if you want me to. It looks sort of off."

It looks decent when it is moving in-game, but hey, knock yourself out. If you can come up with something better, I would be glad to use it. You need to make 6 tiles at 32 X 32 each. In order to work well, they will need to start and end near the middle on the vertical (i.e. left side starts around the 16th pixel down, right side ends near the 16th pixel down - do this for all six tiles).

I have at least one other idea I wanted to try also.

EDIT:
I have Eddie moving and blasting at the player pretty good now. I added some additional animations so that when he shoots a rocket at you, it comes off looking decent. It seems that there needs to be some additional challenge though, as I was able to beat him more easily than I expected. I'm thinking of having doors open at the sides of the room down near the player and having a few bots come out now and again and hassle the player too. Also, I'm thinking about giving Eddie some sort of super bomb that he can shoot out on rare occasion and have it explode near the player. Maybe I can give him human-seeking missiles too =D

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2011 01:51
Sounds alot more challenging then boring rockets

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2011 02:30 Edited at: 11th Nov 2011 18:15
So, are you working on creating some force field images?

I had another thought; insted of allowing robots to come out some doors, what about using drones that move along the walls, back and forth, shooting randomly across the screen? We could have one on each side and one on the bottom. That would keep the player hopping. Maybe on the easy level, we only put one. Maybe on the insane level, the turret is aimed at the player before it shoots.

EDIT:
In-game pic:

Attachments

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2011 02:41 Edited at: 13th Nov 2011 18:45
Good job. Wish I could help, I could try, but I'm not too good at these things.

EDIT: Updates?

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2011 06:32
I have completed the wall graphics for room37. I also have redone the force field. It looks quite a bit different; I'm not crazy about it, but it is good enough.

I remembered that using music for sounds is a bit goofy with DBP and you have to write workarounds to make them work correctly. So, I have placed the music numbers into an array instead of naming them. The array also holds the status of the music as to whether it is playing or not and how long it should play. I put together a short bit of music for the final battle with Eddie; it seems to quicken the pace a little bit. I also have redone the music files so that they sound like a (sinister) robot talking. I created a sound (music) for the player's shot and for Eddie's shot. I also created an effect that sounds like an electric shock for when the player dies. However, I don't like it and will redo it to make it sound less like white noise. I also added a short verbal taunt of the player by Eddie when the player first gets to room 37.

Saving the high score table and allowing the player to add their initials to a high score still needs to be put in.

A sound (music) needs to be created for when the robots are destroyed, which I plan to do.

The robots (other than Eddie) still do not shoot.

A SoundFX menu has not been created yet. I am debating on whether to scrap this idea or not.

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2011 00:17 Edited at: 17th Nov 2011 07:00
Well for the initials part, are you making graphics for each letter? Or just using a font?

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2011 18:26
I am just using the 'Agent Orange' font that is used to display the top 10 scores. There are several ways it could be done, but this way is straightforward.

I plan to get the game completed before updating everything.

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2011 02:05
Oh cool. I hope it goes well.

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2011 05:43 Edited at: 21st Nov 2011 05:44
Okay, I have the high score working pretty well. I have the robots shooting now and they can destroy the player. I don't have their shots colliding with walls yet, but that shouldn't be too hard to put in. Nothing fancy here, just a pic that shows a robot's shot headed at the player:

Attachments

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2011 19:18
Well good job, I've just been playing skyrim

Also I'm kinda hoping you finish this soon cause I have this whole week off

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2011 02:51 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2011 04:46
Okay, I have the soundFX menu in place. Here's a pic:

The 'Play All' selection is highlighted in this pic. I have put in where the user can listen to all of the game sounds/music by clicking on this button.

EDIT:
Okay, I am pretty much done with this game!!!!
The FTP has been updated, as has the link to the RAR file in the first post of this thread. I'm sure there are a few things to touch up, but it should play pretty well. The robots shooting at you indeed makes it more challenging. The 'insane' mode is really insane, as you pretty much have to find an exit quick as Evil Otto is on your heels almost as soon as you start.

Eddie is beatable in the easy level, but then again, I mostly played on the easy level so I could check it. The normal level gives a reasonable amount of difficulty IMO.

Anyway, have fun. Hopefully this has been a good experience for all.

Attachments

Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2011 07:34 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2011 20:28
W00T! Good job!

So does it save the defaults and do the initials ect?

EDIT: Never mind, it does, I checked. Also, the FTP version already has it saved as 'joystick' so yeah...

EDIT TWO: You know what we should do? I know darkbasic pro has FTP commands, do you think its possible to make an auto-updater? If so, can you show me? That would be awesome.

Oh yeah, and is anyone going to make that splash screen? I can do it if no one is going to, In fact I'll try and make something up right now.

EDIT THREE: Just did the boss battle, I think its a bit glitchy, your speed is increased and the rockets don't explode and everything stays when its done. But besides that its cool.

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2011 15:15 Edited at: 25th Nov 2011 18:12
Quote: "Also, the FTP version already has it saved as 'joystick' so yeah"

Yes, it works fine. I think I will re-save it using the arrow keys as a default.

Quote: "EDIT TWO: You know what we should do? I know darkbasic pro has FTP commands, do you think its possible to make an auto-updater? If so, can you show me? That would be awesome."

It does have FTP commands, but I have no plans to attempt that...sorry.

Quote: "Just did the boss battle, I think its a bit glitchy, your speed is increased and the rockets don't explode and everything stays when its done. But besides that its cool."

I have played that battle many times and have never noticed a speed increase at all. The same routines that move the player, shots, etc. from the game are used in the final battle. I don't know how you could get a speed increase there.

Quote: "Also I'm kinda hoping you finish this soon cause I have this whole week off"

You wanted me to finish soon, so I left out the exploding rockets and the screen scrolling slowly between rooms. Since no one was learning anything from the code / improvements anyway, it seemed like the thing to do.

Everything stays when it is done? I know that cannot be correct, as I hide Eddie, his health bar, the player, his health bar and the cannons. It is possible that the cannon shots, Eddie's shots and the player's shots could be left. I will hide those and re-init them.

EDIT:
I have made changes to the game and to the defaults. Updated the FTP and first post in the thread. This will likely be the final version of the game.

Goodbye and good luck to all.

LB

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:32:03
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:32:03