Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / [WIP] Zombie Massacre

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
This isn't getting any love in the wip board, barely any comments despite like 580 views. Would like to know what people think of my zombie game.

Here are the things completed:
Load Levels from my level editor(Link below)
Bullet and player collision
Customer particle system, programmed from the ground up for max control
Blood sticks on the ground when it hits
You have limited ammo in a clip now, right click to reload
Movement
Sound effects
Pathfinding(still needs work)
Set AI spawn points in level editor and load them up in game
You can now shoot each zombie and it will die, the only one you cant shoot right now is the one following you around.

Shaders
Storyline
Items & Inventory system
Event driven scripting system

Video:
http://youtu.be/GGh7Dumadcs

Pictures:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, that looks very good, it gave you a lot of work right?

C++ Medium 3.5/5
VB6 Advanced: 4/5
VB.NET Advanced: 4/5
Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
It was quite a bit of work but it is also like a combination of two different games I've been working on for like two years, so a lot of the code I was able to take from my other projects and optimize it. I also have a level editor for this that allows me to load in models and position them where I want and then poosition the ai's so that makes things a lot easier as far as designing the levels went. The hardest part was probably creating the particle system and being able to load in this many ai and still get a decent frame rate.
vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
well, im steping into 3D game making but not with DarkGDK, im learning SDL/OpenGL, i want to question you about the editor.

How can i start making one?, of course i will start for a 2d game im making in DGDK but how to start?

Thanks in advance

C++ Medium 3.5/5
Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
I just started basically making an editor where I had the ability to position an object using the mouse and took it from there, it's not too complicated honestly.

What specific questions did you have?
vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
well, first i want to know how to make the proper GUI to simply add the objects and stuff.. and then i want to know how can i "save" the "map/level" to a .txt file or so and then the game load it up like it is on the editor.

C++ Medium 3.5/5
Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
With the gui its basically to your preference you can use sprites and then use the mouse location to detect if its within the sprite. The easiest way but probably more complicated if you are a novice is integrating the win32 api into the program. Then you can use menus and toolbars from windows, it makes things very easy to manage.

As far as saving the file goes there are tons of tutorials on the web about it, basically the way mine does it is it has a list of files to load in the program then I save that list to a file then for each object in the level I savethe number of the file to clone from as well as paramaters such as the position of the object and such and then use a for loop to save each of these paramaters on its own line in the file. Then loading the file is just a for loop as well but it reverse it reads each line item.

These particular type of things are things that probably no one will be able to just tell you how to do, they can give you ideas but I learned mostly everything from just programming and experimenting.
vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
well, i dont know S**t about Win32 api... its just very confuse ..

but if you can recommend some good tuts about it i appreciate

Thanks a lot for the time.

C++ Medium 3.5/5
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2011 19:23
Quote: "This isn't getting any love in the wip board, barely any comments despite like 580 views. Would like to know what people think of my zombie game."

Hi Dogda, I thought we actually had a really good discussion going on in the other thread. In fact, I would credit that discussion to the inception of the Golem System - a construction system for creating a variety of non-humanoid undead Monstrosities from severed body parts of humans, animals, plants, machines.

Looks like your game is progressing well. I like the headshot. Do you really intend to let dead bodies pile up like that? I know the current models you're using are low poly, but, getting them out of scene will not distract from the immersion/gross factor and reserve some rendering cycles for other things.

Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
There is a good tutorial about it I can upload when I get home
vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks dodga

@TechLord

True, if he make a cleaner that after some secs from the death of the zombie it will clean his body the game FPS should increase and the game will handle more models (unless you use classes, that you probably use xD)

C++ Medium 3.5/5
Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
@TechLord, I thought the other discussion was very good too, I just get lazy lol. Trying to stay focused on the gameplay more than the blood and guts right now, I'll add some more to it in a second lol.

I want to let the bodies pile up, but I think it will be very hard to manage at this point, especially because right now nothing stops the bodies from intersecting with walls so their legs with stick through and suck. I'll probably end up having them fade away, or make it so that when they die they shrivel up, like all their flesh rots away or something.

And vitinho, I do use classes, but the great thing about classes is not so much the speed, it's that it makes things so much easier to manage. Instead of having a variable for player life, and having to remember that variable name, I can just create a player class, and then make player life a member of that class. SO then I can just go like Player.Life=Player.Life-10;

The awesome thing is after you call your class and put the period down like "player." it automaticlly brings up all the members of that class. So you dont have to remember each individual fuction and variable you create, just that you have a class named player.
vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah i still dont use classes in my games but everybody say good things about it so im gonna start using now

C++ Medium 3.5/5
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2011 02:14
Quote: "The awesome thing is after you call your class and put the period down like "player." it automaticlly brings up all the members of that class. So you dont have to remember each individual fuction and variable you create, just that you have a class named player. "
Intellisense is Feature of the IDE (VC++) and I'm sure other modern C++ IDEs use it. I had a hard time grasping C++ using older IDEs that lacked the feature.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-02 19:26:39
Your offset time is: 2024-10-02 19:26:39