ADG Arcade is an idea started on the App Developers Group thread a while ago. It will be a set of games using the theme "arcade" (classic or otherwise) made by multiple developers and sold or made available as donation-ware for charity (as mentioned in issue 104 of the TGC newsletter, it's for the benefit of Birmingham Children's Hospital).
If you want to join in there are a number of considerations I will ask of you in order to make it easier for me to put them all together into one app:
- Please use the following setup.agc file configuration:
rem ----------*** AGK Setup File ***----------
rem NOTE: This file is used by the core binary
rem to configure basic setup values required
rem prior to execution of the AGC source code.
rem No spaces allowed beyond this point:
rem Window title (delete to hide window bar)
title=My AGK Portrait Application
rem Specify the initial device width
rem Specify the initial device height
// Specify whether to use fullscreen mode
...and the following display setup in the first few lines of your code:
Constants / Types / Globals
- must have an abreviation at the start for example "SPI_player = 1"
Image / Sprite numbering
- Use the following method for getting unused sprite / image numbers rather than giving them your own numbering system (that way we won't have any "Sprite already exists" errors!). Use this convention for ALL numbered items such as sounds too...
playerImage = LoadImage("player.png")
That way AppGameKit will find a free item number and feed it back to you.
- every image, sprite, particle, sound, music and anything else you use must be freed when your game quits and returns to the menu.
- create a "GameName_Media" folder inside the main "Media" folder so that I can just copy/paste the "Gamename_Media" folder into the main project.
- try to make your game none platform specific. Use mouse / touch controls available as well as keyboard control (if that's the main control option).
- Tell me if I missed you out or if you want to join in!
baxslash & Deathead - Menu and Missile command clone - "Oblitinator!"
TheSlayer - Menu Graphics
Hodgey & TheSlayer - Space Invaders type - "Radar Invaders"
Bursar - Asteroids clone - "Rocks from Space"
Impetus73 - ?
Ashingda 27 - Tower defence game
Josh Mooney - Snake / Pong
DVader - Frogger clone - "Froggit"
Deathead - Graphics (ask here and he may be able to help with your game!)
Rich Dersheimer - Break out clone - "Ball Bricker"
Martin Donat - Pacman clone
Batvink - Lunar Lander clone
Currently we have an early menu system but no finished games, if you want to make a game for the project just say so!
We will all help as much as we can to get this project off the ground.
Here's a quick view of the menu system which you can scroll through by dragging the mouse (or a finger in touch screen) and clicking to select a game.
Download the latest version (including code and media):
Oblitinator! - "Missile Command" clone