Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [AGK-Community Project] ADG Arcade!

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 20:01 Edited at: 17th Sep 2011 16:38
ADG Arcade is an idea started on the App Developers Group thread a while ago. It will be a set of games using the theme "arcade" (classic or otherwise) made by multiple developers and sold or made available as donation-ware for charity (as mentioned in issue 104 of the TGC newsletter, it's for the benefit of Birmingham Children's Hospital).

If you want to join in there are a number of considerations I will ask of you in order to make it easier for me to put them all together into one app:

Resolution setup - Please use the following setup.agc file configuration:

...and the following display setup in the first few lines of your code:

Constants / Types / Globals - must have an abreviation at the start for example "SPI_player = 1"

Image / Sprite numbering - Use the following method for getting unused sprite / image numbers rather than giving them your own numbering system (that way we won't have any "Sprite already exists" errors!). Use this convention for ALL numbered items such as sounds too...

That way AppGameKit will find a free item number and feed it back to you.

Tidy Up - every image, sprite, particle, sound, music and anything else you use must be freed when your game quits and returns to the menu.

Media Folder - create a "GameName_Media" folder inside the main "Media" folder so that I can just copy/paste the "Gamename_Media" folder into the main project.

Controls - try to make your game none platform specific. Use mouse / touch controls available as well as keyboard control (if that's the main control option).

CURRENT CONTRIBUTORS - Tell me if I missed you out or if you want to join in!
baxslash & Deathead - Menu and Missile command clone - "Oblitinator!"
TheSlayer - Menu Graphics
Hodgey & TheSlayer - Space Invaders type - "Radar Invaders"
Bursar - Asteroids clone - "Rocks from Space"
Impetus73 - ?
Ashingda 27 - Tower defence game
Josh Mooney - Snake / Pong
DVader - Frogger clone - "Froggit"
Deathead - Graphics (ask here and he may be able to help with your game!)
Rich Dersheimer - Break out clone - "Ball Bricker"
Martin Donat - Pacman clone
Batvink - Lunar Lander clone
you?

Currently we have an early menu system but no finished games, if you want to make a game for the project just say so!

We will all help as much as we can to get this project off the ground.

Here's a quick view of the menu system which you can scroll through by dragging the mouse (or a finger in touch screen) and clicking to select a game.

Download the latest version (including code and media):
Download!

WIP Demos!
Oblitinator! - "Missile Command" clone by baxslash

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
Rocks From Space (Asteroids clone) should be done pretty soon. More details in the thread here: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=188617&b=41&p=0.

I'm using RFS_ at the start of my global and function names.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 22:50
That's great, thanks Bursar!

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
I would like to contribute, dont know what game to make yet but I'm thinking of tower defense but not sure if it fits the arcade theme.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 00:25 Edited at: 4th Sep 2011 00:43
Looking good, I just hope we get a few more people to contribute. My prefix is RI_. How's your Asteroid mining game going baxslash, I know you've been busy working on the menu but any news?

I like your Asteroids game Bursar, are you adding any power-ups?

@ Everyone: Should we try to avoid using device specific input commands as well?

Edit - Oh yeah, baxslash considering that you are practically lead developer (hey! ADG Lead Developer) you could start an In Dev article on this on the ADG website.

Edit 2 - Ashingda ninja'd me and I'm only just seeing it now. @ Ashingda I think a tower defence game is fine!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 01:02
@Ashingda 27, thanks! That would be great!! A tower defence style game would be fine, glad to have you on board

Quote: "How's your Asteroid mining game going baxslash, I know you've been busy working on the menu but any news?"

I've written precisely zero lines as I've been busy with other things including the menu, I will definitely write something just hope I have time for the game I had in mind!

Quote: "Should we try to avoid using device specific input commands as well?"

hmmm... preferably we are trying to create a set of none platform specific games here so yes. Having looked at your WIP thread Bursar it might mean some extra work for you as it looks to be keyboard controlled only at present... could you look into adding touch / mouse control?

Quote: "Oh yeah, baxslash considering that you are practically lead developer (hey! ADG Lead Developer) you could start an In Dev article on this on the ADG website."

I'll do that! Great idea Hodgey

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 01:46
Quote: "I've written precisely zero lines as I've been busy with other things including the menu, I will definitely write something just hope I have time for the game I had in mind!
"

Well unless you're planning to write an MMORPG I think you'll be okay...considering you have those time-travel watches

Quote: "preferably we are trying to create a set of none platform specific games here so yes."

This makes things a little easier for me actually

@ Bursar, I think a virtual joystick would work quite well. It would give it that retro arcade feel.

@ Baxslash: I know Bursar asked this question but I'm going to re-ask it, should we program to a specific resolution? I think we should so that you don't get one app at 320x480 and another one at 1024x786 etc. I'm going to put my vote in at 320x480. For my app I'm also going to lock the orientation but hopefully I'll remember to unlock it upon returning to the main menu.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 03:27
Is this using the new AppGameKit language?

If so I was planning to convert my old-school mini-games Snake and Pong once I've learned it. I could contribute those.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 08:35 Edited at: 4th Sep 2011 08:45
Quote: "Is this using the new AppGameKit language?

If so I was planning to convert my old-school mini-games Snake and Pong once I've learned it. I could contribute those."

Yes it will all be made using AppGameKit basic. It would be great to have at least one of your games in there Josh!

Welcome aboard!

EDIT: Just a thought but Pong might be tricky without multi-touch support, unless you have AI? Or you could add multi-player via LAN?

Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Having looked at your WIP thread Bursar it might mean some extra work for you as it looks to be keyboard controlled only at present... could you look into adding touch / mouse control?"

Yeah, I'm using GetRawKeyPressed at the moment. Mouse will be a problem, as there doesn't seem a way to get the state of the individual buttons without using GetRawMouse, and ideally you'd want something like left mouse to fire, right mouse to thrust. Not sure how you'd activate hyperspace though...

I'll have a play with the various button and joystick commands to see what I can come up with.
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 12:25
@ Bursar: What you might be able to do (if you can be bothered) is to make two versions of your game. One could be for PC like it is now and another version for mobile devices. In theory baxslash will need to compile the final app natively with each sdk and so for the windows sdk he could use your PC version and for the mobile platforms he could use your mobile version. Just a thought and you'd need the go ahead from baxslash but I think this method is quite feasible. Also check out using the accelerometer for movement in your mobile game because that could work quite well.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 13:10
Quote: "Bursar: What you might be able to do (if you can be bothered) is to make two versions of your game. One could be for PC like it is now and another version for mobile devices. In theory baxslash will need to compile the final app natively with each sdk and so for the windows sdk he could use your PC version and for the mobile platforms he could use your mobile version. Just a thought and you'd need the go ahead from baxslash but I think this method is quite feasible. Also check out using the accelerometer for movement in your mobile game because that could work quite well."

For now just build the game and get it working. I may try to get other control systems working at a later date so don't worry too much at the moment. If you have the time then add a control option in but if not we can work something out later!

I have no way of compiling the code on a mac but I'm hoping someone involved might at some stage. Otherwise we may need to try to come to some sort of arrangement with TGC for getting the app published on other platforms...

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 13:32 Edited at: 4th Sep 2011 13:32
Quote: "For now just build the game and get it working."

True, I'm always jumping the gun but when the time comes it might not be a bad idea, I might even take my own advice.

Quote: "I may try to get other control systems working at a later date so don't worry too much at the moment."

"You are an ideas man Steve" Have you ever tried making a drag and drop game maker baxslash because I think you could pull it off. It wouldn't make a bad app actually...I'll be right back

Quote: "Otherwise we may need to try to come to some sort of arrangement with TGC for getting the app published on other platforms..."

Publishing through TGC might be the way to go as I believe they pay for the developer fees as well.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 13:48
I think its a great idea, and a great start, baxslash!
Also, a big thanks to all those willing to contribute.
Just wondering though, isn't it possible with AppGameKit to make one resolution and deploy on different OS? Or, do you still need to make several versions of the same game to be able to run it on other platforms?

Cheers

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 14:01
Quote: "Just wondering though, isn't it possible with AppGameKit to make one resolution and deploy on different OS? Or, do you still need to make several versions of the same game to be able to run it on other platforms? "

Yes that's possible but let's say you develop for a resolution of 320x480, it look natural on ipod touches/iphones but if you then deployed the exact same game to a netbook, the window size would only be 320x480 or, if maximized, there would be very noticeable black boarders on either side. So that's why my suggestion to Bursar was to make a PC version and a mobile version.

While you're here The Slayer, could I make an art request?

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 14:26
Quote: "While you're here The Slayer, could I make an art request? "

Sure, go ahead.
What's on your mind?

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 14:33
Quote: "Sure, go ahead.
What's on your mind? "

I need an alien and a ship if that's not too much to ask? Both around 64x64 (I'm not that fussy, you don't need to use up the whole 64x64). If you need context, Radar Invaders, I'm even using the background you sent me . Thanks The Slayer!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 14:38
Quote: "I need an alien and a ship"

An alien spaceship? Or, is this the players ship? And, do you want transparent background on both of them?
I'll see what I can come up with.

Quote: " I'm even using the background you sent me"

Excellent.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 14:43
Quote: "An alien spaceship? Or, is this the players ship? And, do you want transparent background on both of them? "

An Alien spaceship and a player spaceship please! A transparent background would be excellent.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 16:04
@Hodgey:
Players' ship done.
Will send it to you right after this post. Made three versions from the same model. Pick the one that you like the most, okay? And, if the design isn't what you wanted, just let me know.

Cheers

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2011 16:15
Quote: "Players' ship done."

Wow, that was fast! Thanks The Slayer and considering your record for graphics I'm sure they'll be more than fine.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Just wandering do you want any help? Graphics wise? I can help out on the menu graphics and such, also I don't mind doing some sprites.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2011 10:35
Hey thanks Deathead, that's a generous offer. Currently @TheSlayer is doing the graphics for the menu but if you would like to help I'm sure someone would benefit from your work!

If I get the menu finished and have time to make a game I may take you up on it myself

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2011 12:29
I've decided that it will help if I do make a game, I'll make it separate from the menu project and feed it in as I get working code ready (IE. that won't cause any problems with the main system).

I figure I might find more issues out earlier that way!

So I've decided on a slightly simpler game than my original idea, I'll be doing a "Missile Command" clone I'm calling Oblitinator!

I'll be using the prefix "O_" for my variables and functions.

I'll be posting updates here for that game too...

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2011 12:44
Quote: " I'll be doing a "Missile Command" clone I'm calling Oblitinator!"

"You're an ideas man Steve" - This is my compliment to you from now on . That sounds good baxslash and I'm sure you'll add some exciting twist to it. So, I imagine that you have more than precisely zero lines of code now.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2011 12:54
Quote: "This is my compliment to you from now on"

Thanks Hodgey

Quote: "That sounds good baxslash and I'm sure you'll add some exciting twist to it. "

I have some ideas...

Quote: "So, I imagine that you have more than precisely zero lines of code now."

Not yet, but I do have the style, story and game-play worked out in my head. Also I have an interesting idea for the 'physics' element...

It's going to be a meteor shower where the meteors are raining down on Earth and you have to blast them apart to minimise the damage. Direct hits will 'obliterate' but indirect will just reduce the size of the pieces. I'm thinking of having an occasional HUGE meteor you have to destroy a bit at a time as it gets ever closer. Maybe the odd nuke power-up... should be fun to make.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2011 13:09
Quote: "It's going to be a meteor shower where the meteors are raining down on Earth and you have to blast them apart to minimise the damage. Direct hits will 'obliterate' but indirect will just reduce the size of the pieces. I'm thinking of having an occasional HUGE meteor you have to destroy a bit at a time as it gets ever closer. Maybe the odd nuke power-up... should be fun to make.
"

And thus we have a twist. Don't forget to implement that "Nuke Hodgey" cheat.

I've attached a screen shot of my game. The Slayer, anything look familiar, anything ring any bells?

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2011 13:21
Nice! Looking very cool

It's kind of like a stealth fighter...

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2011 13:31
Quote: "I've attached a screen shot of my game. The Slayer, anything look familiar, anything ring any bells?"

Bells? You mean 'Hell's Bells' by AC/DC?
Looking good, I like, I like.

Quote: "Nice! Looking very cool

It's kind of like a stealth fighter..."

Yep, I wanted to give it that kinda look, considering the gameplay (radar). Thanks.

@Hodgey:
What's the size of the window? 320x480? I'm just asking because I noticed that the background is rather pixelized (probably because of the scaling?). I'll see if I can redo the background.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2011 14:36
Thanks baxslash and The Slayer!

Quote: "Quote: "Nice! Looking very cool

It's kind of like a stealth fighter..."
Yep, I wanted to give it that kinda look, considering the gameplay (radar). Thanks."

You are on the ball The Slayer.

Quote: "What's the size of the window? 320x480? I'm just asking because I noticed that the background is rather pixelized (probably because of the scaling?). I'll see if I can redo the background."

If there was anyone who would catch me out on that I knew it would be you. Guilty as charged, it is a window of 320x480 and I did scale it down... a tad.....Ok a lot. I will be very appreciative of a new background, thanks again.

Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " I'll be doing a "Missile Command" clone "

That's one less for me to worry about Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2011 18:18
Oh crap, was that one you were going to do Bursar? I didn't think it was...

Want me to change it? The code I have so far just fires missiles from a given point in a given direction and then the missiles home in on a target so the code's pretty flexible

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2011 19:34
Hey, here's some code to spin a logo, with no animation frames.

Of course, it doesn't have the perspective or lighting change.

I'm working on a breakout-type game, with a twist. It would fit in well with this arcade project, I think.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2011 19:42
Hi Rich! I did consider doing that and who knows, if there's a problem with the amount of media we are using I may well use your code, I'll leave it as is for now though.

It would be great to have you on board, I'll add you to the list of contributors! Thanks

Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Want me to change it?"

No, it's fine. I really need to get Rocks From Space finished before I start on Missiles From Space

Besides, it's not like there's a shortage old arcade games that can be remade
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2011 21:56 Edited at: 5th Sep 2011 21:57
Quote: "Hi Rich! I did consider doing that"

Oh, hey, I wasn't suggesting you change it, it looks great the way it is, the perspective and lighting make it look really 3D.

Quote: "It would be great to have you on board, I'll add you to the list of contributors! Thanks"

Well, thank you! I'll make sure to follow the guidelines for folders, names and such. Would it be okay if it was not the full game, maybe just 4 or 5 levels from the full game? If that's not okay, then putting the full game in there would be okay, I mean it's a good cause!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2011 22:51 Edited at: 6th Sep 2011 01:39
Quote: "Would it be okay if it was not the full game, maybe just 4 or 5 levels from the full game?"

That's fine by me Rich, all contributions welcome!

The main thing I guess is that you're happy sharing the code as only one person can compile the finished code!

I'll be sharing my progress with my game soon too, I'll also be sharing the code and media for anyone interested

Attachments

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 00:02
baxslash - I should mention, I'll use bbr_ as my prefix for functions, etc. The name of the game is "Ball Bricker".

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 01:34 Edited at: 6th Sep 2011 01:39
Quote: "I'll use bbr_ as my prefix for functions, etc. The name of the game is "Ball Bricker"."

Nice!! Is that supposed to be a pun?

Attached is an early version of my game "Oblitinator!". Very early really. You can play it for as long as you like and it doesn't get any harder but I only started it tonight so I don't think that's bad going!

Screeny:

Attachments

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 02:35
Quote: "Is that supposed to be a pun?"

You've met my ex-wife, then?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 08:24 Edited at: 8th Sep 2011 01:04
Quote: "You've met my ex-wife, then?"

[whispers]
I was thinking of my current one...
[/whispers]

Attachments

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 08:54
Your game runs really well baxslash and I like your asteroids . I know it's in early development and you're probably aware of this but sometimes the missiles spin in circles or figure 8s. This typically happens at the bottom of the screen. But otherwise it's very fun to play and the particle effects are a very nice touch.

I'm really looking foward to the completion of this project! I can see my self sitting down for hours playing the collection of games.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 10:33
Quote: "I know it's in early development and you're probably aware of this but sometimes the missiles spin in circles or figure 8s"

Yeah, I need to make the turn speed a bit quicker as the missile gets close just to make sure it hits. Thanks though!

I'm still playing around with the style of the game, I also want to add lots of different weapons too

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 11:07
Quote: "Yeah, I need to make the turn speed a bit quicker as the missile gets close just to make sure it hits. Thanks though!"

I have a piece of what I call tracking code lying about the forums in random threads. I can find it if you like and the beauty of it is that it should always hit and it doesn't use any sin, cos or tan functions.

Quote: "I'm still playing around with the style of the game, I also want to add lots of different weapons too"

Adding weapons, power ups etc is something I need to do with my game as well. I've already got quite a few ideas in my head but implementing them is the tricky bit.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 11:21
Quote: "I have a piece of what I call tracking code lying about the forums in random threads. I can find it if you like and the beauty of it is that it should always hit and it doesn't use any sin, cos or tan functions."

I would be very interested in seeing how you did it I may well use it if it works nicely, thanks Hodgey!

Rule #269
Never turn down good/free code!

Rule #3462
Never take sleeping pills and laxatives at the same time!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 11:27
Here you go, it's in DBPro but should be very easy to convert to AppGameKit!

Quote: "Rule #3462
Never take sleeping pills and laxatives at the same time!"

I'll try to remember that one!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 12:27
That's some neat code there Hodgey. Unfortunately I want the missile to gradually turn toward the target, using your code this would look odd as it is distance based rather than direction based which means I need to use my current method.

Also using my current method (which uses physics) means I can add some fairly realistic physics effects like the missile being bumped / blown off course by meteors / other forces (for some missile types).

I'm playing a lot with the style at the moment, adding some fun stuff to the graphics!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 12:37
That's fine baxslash, it's there for whoever needs it. It wouldn't make a bad homing missile effect...I've just added another possible powerup to my game.

Quote: "Also using my current method (which uses physics) means I can add some fairly realistic physics effects like the missile being bumped / blown off course by meteors / other forces (for some missile types)."

You just gave me an idea for your game...magnets/black holes. If you fired a missile close to a magnet/black hole it would steer off course. One could make a whole game based on this idea actually...I'm going to keep it in mind.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 12:44
Quote: "If you fired a missile close to a magnet/black hole it would steer off course."

Chalk up another ninja Hodgey, that's one of my main ideas (black hole missile)... damn you!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 12:56
Quote: "Chalk up another ninja Hodgey, that's one of my main ideas (black hole missile)... damn you!"

Ok lets see *checks list*, I owe you 4, The Slayer 2 or 3, Bursar 1 or 2 and Ashingda 1. I have my work cut out for me. I haven't been able to think it up yet but there has to be a game that I can make based on ninja'ing people.

If anyone needs an idea for a game I think a Berzerk clone would work nicely. See the DNG Berzerk thread for more info on it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 22:39:00
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 22:39:00