Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

PureGDK / Buy or Not buy PureGDK?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 16:54
my question is: PureGDK has been released?, it support all dbp plugins like darkphysics, lights, newton, shaders?, and what i need to start code in puregdk?, i am confused, because in the main page of PureGDK is being sold, but in the forum there is a downloadable version (beta 12?) please, can anyone clarify these doubts, because I really want to buy or use it!
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2011 19:30
Beta 12 is out and very usable. I'm currently working on a project using it with no problems yet. My guess is that the pause between beta 12 and whichever version is being released next is that something is being updated.

Warning! May contain Nuts!
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
PureGDK 1.0 which is the original PureBasic-only release is still being sold. The PureGDK 2.0 is the new version which compatible with PureBasic and C++ is currently in beta and is available free for download:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=177817&b=38

PureGDK 1.0 users will receive a free upgrade to PureGDK 2.0 when it releases.

Almus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2011 21:32
hi, thanks for the reply, ive downloaded this beta version, but i cant install it, get some error about compiling dbpro engine with plugins, i have purebasic 4.4 x32 and x64, puregdk can compile in 64bit?
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
You will have to post the exact error message if you want help. Also, PureGDK has only been tested with the 32-bit compiler. It won't work with the 64-bit compiler as the underlying engine itself is 32-bit.

Takis76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2011 22:01 Edited at: 19th Oct 2011 13:25
Today I purchased my PureGDK , but I am not satisfied much.
I manage to download the version 2 from forums because the members area have the old version only.
(And I thing the version 2 from forums is demo , because no one will purchase).

Also this lack of fullscreen, I don't like it.
And another thing I realize was, the PureBasic core commands are not compatible with PureGDK commands, for example I tried to use catch sprite command to load a sprite from some datafile and I tried to use it as DarkBasic sprite to show it and this wasn't compatible.

All purebasic core functions are not compatible with PureGDK commands. For example I tried to open a screen with the core commands and use sync commands of PureGDK and this was failed.

If you open a screen with PureGDK commands which not allows you a fullscreen , none of the core PureBasic commands works then or not even flipbuffered on the screen , all PureBasic core drawing , sprite and image functions lines of code becomes red.

So the PureGDK, works just in PureBasic compiler, but is like to have only DarkBasic with another compiler, not full incorporation with the host language in this case (PureBasic) or with the other language which will compiled for example C++.

It's like to have the DarkBasic Language in PureBasic compiler or other compiler, but the other compiler (PureBasic) functions are not compatible and not working at all.

You can't open screen with PureBasic core commands and display it with the PureGDK commands. Big Mistake, these must be compatible.
You can't have fullscreen mode.
You can't have catch sprite or catch image functions, are not compatible with PureGDK. You can't catch or load an image with PureBasic function and display it with PureGDK functions
You can't have the core Keyboard commands and Mouse commands of PureBasic with PureGDK, the one prohibits the other.

You can't have core sound libraries with PureGDK sound libraries, you can't load a sound with core PureBasic functions and play it with PureGDK functions. You can't load sounds with PureGDK and play it with PureBasic core functions. I thing data in data out, even if the interface changes the data must work.

You can't use text and 2D drawing commands of core language the PureBasic one with PureGDK one, I tried to create a box , but the core rgb() function is not compatible with the PureGDK dbrgb()

And others which I am not yet tested them.

Try to draw text side by site with both Languages , use the text functions of PureBasic and use and text function of PureGDK simultaneously.
My conclusion is, Use DarkBasic Pro alone in the DarkBasic Realm with separate IDE and compiler.
Use the PureBasic Alone in the PureBasic realm with its separated IDE and compiler, both can't survive.

I will wait to see what will happen with final version 2 of PureGDK or if I have access to it in the members area, but, I wasn't satisfied or that I have is a demo , I don't know.

Another one thing which needs is fully keyword detection in the help refferecse file system. For example if you try to press F1 for help, when highlight some command and you want some manual, this is not possible with PureBasic IDE, I can't have online help or manual when I am pressing F1 in PureGDK functions, there are not mapped as keywords in the PureBasic IDE.

There is one .chm help file, I downloaded from the forums , but it needs more documentation and most of the functions are referred in the manual or help file,there are have not examples.

In the website there are some examples , but are not reffered completelly, for example , the fire example (One shpere with one fire in orbit) you see one MDI window with one MDI child window which in this MDI Child window you see the sphere and the fire , but the source code of the example and you see and one menu,the example doesn't explain how these MDI child windows was created and how these DarkBasic commands worked with PureBasic commands and how the menu was created, the example shows you only the core of the example and if you are complete newbie you can't see how the menu was created and how both languages work each other.

But the example alone is not working, because you need the header library files and are missing in all examples.

For example this code is missing from all examples.

So the example is not compiling alone. If I will find and other thing I will report.
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2011 13:20 Edited at: 18th Oct 2011 13:25
Hey, easy there mate before you start pouring dirt over the PGDK.

First of all, please download the latest beta from this thread http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=177817&b=38

All of the examples have necessary headers and include files, so you most probably have an outdated beta.

Second of all, please read the included help file carefully. It has answers to most of your questions.

Quote: "Also this lack of fullscreen, I don't like it."

Takis76, you completely misunderstood difference between the two fullscreen modes that DarkBasic Pro supports. Fullscreen Windowed (supported in PureGDK and DarkBasic Pro) is nowadays the standard in all games whereas the Fullscreen Exclusive is quite a bit outdated. Difference is that exclusive fullscreen will change the resolution of the desktop (you don't want to do that because if the game crashes you're usually left with messed up desktop and icons) and does not allow overlapping windows on top of it. So, just to conclude, PureGDK supports fullscreen mode and there are multitude of examples included in the chm help file and here on the forums.
Fullscreen Windowed mode (with resolution stretching):

This image illustrates how fullscreen windowed mode works:

Quote: "You can't have catch sprite or catch image functions, are not compatible with PureGDK. You can't catch or load an image with PureBasic function and display it with PureGDK functions
You can't have the core Keyboard commands and Mouse commands of PureBasic with PureGDK, the one prohibits the other."

You cant mix different versions of DirectX (PureBasic's native libraries use older DX version as far as I know) and combine DirectX with OpenGL (PureBasic 3D library is a wrapper for Ogre3D Engine - which has OpenGL rendering). I'm sure Mistrel (author of PureGDK) will explain you all the technical differences a lot better. Believe me there are a lot more 3D/2D commands in PureGDK than there will ever be in PureBasic so it kinda beats the purpose to combine them both.

Although I agree with you that some functionality like catching data from PB's data sections or reading raw data and loading PureGDK media from memory address would be extremely useful.

ACER Aspire 5920G: Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, DBPro 7.5 + PureGDK 2.0b
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2011 23:34
I'm dreading the when the beta expires, I'm well stuck with it now and just starting to use it with wxWidgets in Code::Blocks because the resource editor is awesome.

When it comes to it I'll have to shelve it for a short while (hopefully less than a week) and save up, but I like what it has to offer at the moment, so I will purchase it for C++. After using PureGDK I would find it so restrictive to go back to Dark GDK.

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought beta testers got it for free?

How much will it cost?
Takis76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2011 16:43 Edited at: 19th Oct 2011 16:45
I purchase it for 40 Euros here.
But I am already own DarkBasic Pro and PureBasic.

Quote: "
Hey, easy there mate before you start pouring dirt over the PGDK
"

Do you beleive I am pouring dirt? I thing I am a customer and I am paying and I would like to get served as all customers.
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Do you beleive I am pouring dirt? I thing I am a customer and I am paying and I would like to get served as all customers."

Well to me you definitely sounded like you did. See you wouldn't have to come here and complain if you've red the PGDK manual and tried the beta version before you parted with money. Every product will/can have some limitations and they're clearly stated in the manual. PureGDK is a complete rendering solution not and add-on to any existing language. For example you can use PGDK with C++ and in the realm of C plus plus you don't have commands like CatchSprite and the rest. That's why PGDK provides a complete package which might seem like unrelated attachment but this is the way it works. I'm sorry if you feel like you wasted your money, hopefully Mistrel can address some of your issues in the future.

ACER Aspire 5920G: Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, DBPro 7.5 + PureGDK 2.0b
Solbit
Years of Service
User Offline
Had read quite a number of posts on the puregdk here and some in the pb area too.

Finally bought it with the dbpro $129.99 package so could use with purebasic. When had checked prices came out within a penny of buying both separate.

Not getting anywhere with the regular support in terms of an order activation key for the dbpro. Msg for activation keys in my products area says "you do not have any activation keys."

dbpro keeps asking for it and I can do little without. This was closest topic area besides the online msg email type I could find.

So would any know why I didn't get the activation key as sure need it.
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2011 04:59
Not heard from Mistrel for some time now...

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Not heard from Mistrel for some time now..."

Yes, it's quite weird. He hasn't been here for a while. So unusual of him. I hope he's Ok.

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2011 00:00
Yeah, same here. Very unusual.

I'd just like to know what is the latest goings on with PureGDK and if he's doing ok...

He's usually quick to help and always there when you need anything...

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
I just noticed that Mistrel hasn't been on PureBasic forums since Aug 17, 2011. That's a long time for a software developer to be absent from community. I really expect to see him back.

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 5th Nov 2011 02:28
Quote: "I just noticed that Mistrel hasn't been on PureBasic forums since Aug 17, 2011. That's a long time for a software developer to be absent from community. I really expect to see him back. "

I'd like to see him back too. I wholly plan on purchasing PureGDK when 2.0 release date is announced, but until then I'll be sticking with the free beta.

Who says famine has to be depressing?
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually his last post was in the middle of September, not August, but it's still almost two months. I don't know what happened to him, I can only hope that he will return soon.
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'll be sticking with the free beta"

Well I wish you could - as far as I know beta version will expire at some point and then we're left with nothing unless we want to use PureGDK v1.

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2011 03:07
Quote: "Well I wish you could - as far as I know beta version will expire at some point and then we're left with nothing unless we want to use PureGDK v1."

Since I don't own PureGDK, I can't test this, but if you go into the initPureGDK.h header (for C++) and see:

There's the authKey. If you change this to your existing PureGDK authkey, will it still work?

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not sure about C++ version but PureGDK generates a dll called 'gdkengine.dll' in PureBasic version. I believe expiry code is contained within that dll as well.

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2011 20:41
The InitPureGDK() function in c++ sends an authorisation code to the DLL so sooner or later it will expire. If it runs out soon then I'm stuck until probably now after Christmas before I can purchase it. I'll be lost without it. Everything I'm doing at the moment is based around it...

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2011 22:25
Quote: "The InitPureGDK() function in c++ sends an authorisation code to the DLL so sooner or later it will expire. If it runs out soon then I'm stuck until probably now after Christmas before I can purchase it. I'll be lost without it. Everything I'm doing at the moment is based around it... "

Same. It would be nice to know if existing PureGDK codes worked or not. If so then I may just buy one so that I don't have to worry about it expiring.

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, but the problem is in fact that Mistrel's not here to provide us with a version that does not expire. Last release without built in expiration was PGDK v1 (anything before v2 betas) so we're out of luck anyway.

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2011 14:45
Quote: "Yes, but the problem is in fact that Mistrel's not here to provide us with a version that does not expire. Last release without built in expiration was PGDK v1 (anything before v2 betas) so we're out of luck anyway."

Ah, I see.

Guido Italy
Years of Service
User Offline
News ????
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
PureGDK has been experiencing an extended hiatus due to unavoidable circumstances an several subsequent burnouts while trying to put my priorities in order.

The situation regarding my support of my users here was handled very poorly and I apologize for that.

I have some time off right now and plan to devote the next two weeks to PureGDK full-time and with any luck, will get this product out of beta before Christmas.

I've also just released a new version (beta 13) which is available in its usual place.

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2011 16:14
@Mistrel - I don't think many were too bothered about how things were handled. I'm certainly not. Some of us were actually concerned as to what was happening with yourself. Glad to see you're back. And I wouldn't worry too much as to how fast things are getting produced. The only question I and a couple of others were asking was about when the license was going to run out on the free version.

Still currently I can't afford any TGC products but still like them very much.

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Glad to have you back!

Quote: "The situation regarding my support of my users here was handled very poorly and I apologize for that."

Certainly personal matters are way above everything else and I don't think there's anything awkward about it. As WLGfx said it's good to know that the license won't just expire on us now at some point.

Once again, thank you. Cheers!

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Mistrel,
A bit late but I would also like to tell you that I'm glad you are back. I fully understand that you sometimes have other priorities. Unfortunately at present I don't have the time either to do any hobby development, but I will keep Pure GDK in sight and hope to return to it later.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 00:11:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 00:11:07