Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Cannot run project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I just installed AppGameKit (in drive D and created a test project and I get the following error messages when I try to run it. I did not make any changes to the default initial code in main.agc.

Failed to get bitmap bits for image: Arial.png at line 0
Failed to get bitmap bits for image: Avenir.png at line 7

I will appreciate any comments to this issue.

Respectfully,
Jorge Maldonado
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 04:39
Hi, have you tried installing to 'C drive'? Also are you running as Administrator and have UAC switched off, and there is no background tasks that prevent write access to folders? I have not seen this error before, and am curious if there are any unique aspects of your PC setup. Our tests used fresh installs of Windows XP and 7, and nothing untoward happened when installing, running, loading an example and compiling/running.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
Spacebuddy
Years of Service
User Offline
I just started getting the same error. Was working fine until now

I have it installed on C: drive.
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 08:14
Those files are created by AppGameKit in the same folder that is your write path. For me, it's C:\Users\Rich\Documents\AGK\ and then a REALLY long folder name for each project. And they are created once for EVERY project. So, poke around in there, see if you can find them. If they aren't in there, then maybe you don't have write access?

JORGEMAL
Years of Service
User Offline
What does UAC mean?
There is another user with this same issue and his installation is in drive "C:".
My drive "D:" partition is where my applications software are all installed, drive "C:" has enough space for the Windows OS only. It would be hard for me to change my configuration and reinstall everything to have a "C:" drive only.
I opened the "examples.workspace" and ran several projects and I have the same error messages, the only difference in such messages is the name of the ".png" file.
My PC has only one user account and it is an administrator so there should not be any problem reading/writing.
It seems that AppGameKit created a folder in "My Documents" called "AGK" and, when I run a project, other folders are created inside of it. For example, my test project is called "Pruebas" and this is what I get in "My Documents":
"My Documents\D_AGKProjects_Pruebas_Pruebasexe" and "My Documents\D_AGKProjects_Pruebas_Pruebasexe\Media". The "Media" folder has the files that are referenced in the error messages.
I have a folder called "d:\AGK Projects" where I plan to save my projects. When I created my "Pruebas" project, the following structure was also created:
"d:\AGK Projects\Pruebas" and "d:\AGK Projects\Pruebas\Media" (this latter folder is empty). I copied the ".png" files to "d:\AGK Projects\Pruebas\Media" but I still have the same results.
Please advice.

With respect,
Jorge Maldonado
Spacebuddy
Years of Service
User Offline
I found the solution to my problem.

I am running Parallels 7 under Mac OS/X Lion. As a last resort, I reinstalled Parallels tools, rebooted
and it is working again
JORGEMAL
Years of Service
User Offline
Any comment about my las post?

Regards,
Jorge Maldonado
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 00:41
@JORGEMAL : We're still trying to reproduce this at our end. It will definitely be something about your system that is different from a vanilla install of Win XP/7 and which is causing this result. We just have to identify what that is, reproduce those conditions here, then trace down to the exact bit of code that is not accounting for this alternative scenario. Right now we are at the identify stage Any extra info you can provide will be of help, or if you get it to work under some scenario, that would be of great help too.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 01:20
Quote: "My PC has only one user account and it is an administrator so there should not be any problem reading/writing."

Windows is a bit buggy so try to right right click on the agk icon and go in to properties and then advanced settings.

There will you have to tick the box that says run as administrator!

It dosent help that you only have one account as this is not ticked as default!

I had the same error when i installed on windows 7 and do this on all my programs.
JORGEMAL
Years of Service
User Offline
I ran AppGameKit using the "Run at" option and selected the Administrator without success. I also borrowed a PC (much older than mine) and installed AppGameKit in drive "C:" and everything worked just fine. I will go over my PC configuration and see if I can find any issue to solve this situation. If I do not find anything then maybe I will have to reinstall the Windows OS to my machine and set only drive "C:" (for for taking the risk of a failure because of the existence of another partition) and then install AGK.
I will keep you informed.

Regards,
Jorge Maldonado
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 10:40 Edited at: 11th Sep 2011 11:40
Quote: "I ran AppGameKit using the "Run at" option and selected the Administrator without success."

I know that this dosent work

You must try the option i wrote before !

I have had all these problems like you before with all kinds of programs.

Uac is a part of windows that stops programs from changing and writing files on the hard drive and is a mess.

Uac is a huge mess !!!!!!!

Only thing that solves it is the step i wrote before!

Right click on the icon , then properties at the bottom , advanced settings and tick the box run as administartor.

Then go back and press the button to save your changes.

This do most of the times also change the setting for the main program that launches the prg the icon directs windows to.

If not?

Will you have to do the same step on that file inside the agk folder.

I have an swedish version and dont remember the english name on that button anymore

Its atleast wath solved the same error on my machine.

PS..............
You did well enter the serial key when installing?
Because if you didt so will you get this error also!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
JORGEMAL
Years of Service
User Offline
I reinstalled Windows with drive C: only and now it is working correctly.

Regards,
Jorge Maldonado
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2011 05:48 Edited at: 14th Dec 2011 06:11
I'm having the same problem. Only thing is, I reinstalled Windows about a month ago (clean install) and have been very particular about what I install on this machine.

I'm uninstalling AppGameKit and reinstalling it, hopefully that will work. Otherwise, I will not be happy

EDIT: I'm noticing that it's not building the projects correctly. It puts all of the files in a folder, no where near the original source. I attached a picture to see how the output looks.

Hi there. My name is Dug. I have just met you, and I love you.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2011 08:03
Uninstalling and re-installing did not work. Same for uninstalling and installing an older version of AppGameKit I have downloaded. I poked through the registry and could not find anything that would cause it to choke up.

Is there anyway I can reset ALL of the settings, or delete every last bit of AppGameKit from my system, and try a fresh new install? Reformatting my computer is NOT an option, as I just reformatted Windows a month ago (this is unacceptable TGC).

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2011 10:47
Answerman, have you tried all of the above like turning User Accounts Control (UAC) off via Control Panel and running AppGameKit as an admin (Rightclick -> Properties -> Compatability -> Run as administrator)?

anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 01:12
Yes. I always disable UAC when I get a new PC. My user account is an administrator one, and running as admin didn't work either. I entered my code correctly, though when I was doing a registry search, the entered code comes up as non-ASCII garbage. I really do not know hy this isn't working. Why can't it compile and run in a standard windows temp directory, or in a BIN folder within the projects source folder?

This is frustrating me ... Grrr :3

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 09:42
Ok, if you go into your documents folder, there should be an AppGameKit folder in there. Inside that folder there should be more folders with really long names, similar to file paths. Open one up and check if the files which the compiler is having trouble loading are there.

Also, in your project media folder, there should be an "ErrorReport" text file. Is there anything in there that may help us narrow it down?

One other thing it could be is your anti-virus. I currently use Kaspersky and that flares up a warning each time I try to run a newly created .exe. I know you aren't reaching that stage yet but it's still a possibility (unless you don't have one installed).

anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 10:40 Edited at: 15th Dec 2011 11:12
Went to my documents, and found the AppGameKit folder. Opened up the AppGameKit folder, and found those path like folders you described. Opened those up, and I see the "media\Arial.png" and "media\Avenir.png" files. The only files that have been copied over are images; no code files, etc. Just pictures. So perhaps the compiled code isn't being copied over correctly...?

As for the ErrorReport file, nothing was generated within the project source directory, or where the temp files were generated. I'm searching my HD for files named errorreport, but so far nothing has been found.

I do have anti-virus, but I was able to run AppGameKit with the same anti-virus on another machine without problem. I disabled it on this machine to no avail.

As for user accounts, I gave AppGameKit all access to every user group on my machine.

EDIT: Could this be some sort of dependency problem? Perhaps if the AppGameKit team could chip in - they programmed it to spew out the error messages anyway - what are all the reasons why the error 'failed to get bitmap bits for image: xxxx at line y' could get thrown? Hardware initialization, cannot find file, etc.?

anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 11:18
you have got to be kidding me.

Display mode. It's the display mode. I changed my desktop color resolution from 16-bit color graphics to 32-bit color graphics, and it works. The application runs without a hitch. Switch it back to 16-bit color, and it crashes.

So, my question to you, The Game Creators - and I would like a response on this - why cannot AppGameKit run under 16-bit color mode? This would become a hardware limitation, as not all (but most) display adapters can support 32-bit color. I like having mine on 16-bit, because it makes my machine run faster (it disables Aero).

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 11:44
I will admit, I never would have guessed that 16 bit graphics was the cause for this. It might be worth posting it as a bug here.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 14:21
Quote: "I like having mine on 16-bit, because it makes my machine run faster (it disables Aero)."

Why not just disable Aero manually? Using 16Bit colour for this reason seems a little odd... to me anyway.

Chances are that there's a valid reason why 16Bit display is not supported although it would be helpful to have the minimum requirements for AppGameKit on the website somewhere (I couldn't find it).

What hardware after Windows XP or maybe even earlier does not support 32 Bit colour?

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2011 16:48
Please post this as a bug in the issues board (http://code.google.com/p/agk/issues/list) and I'll see if I can cobble together a machine that uses 16-bit graphics to test it I agree AppGameKit should be able to run on the widest range of machines!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 23:13:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 23:13:02