Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / FREE AGK Trial Version Released!

Author
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 17:33
Now you can try out AppGameKit for FREE!

AGK Trial Version

Financial Director
TGC Team
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 17:41
Awsome, hopefully this will get even more people using this awsome tool!

Srry about my english im from sweeden
MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 17:43
I've bought mine already, but I'll send that to some friends.. I bet they will try it out.

----------
Paulo
http://www.mobilecreators.com
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 19:12
I'll send it to a couple of my friends too. I know at least one or two people who would like it

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 20:09
Funny. I work in Indonesia, managing a programming team. One of our guys came in today asking to get a signature, so he can work on the weekend. He wanted to work because he was bored, and had nothing else to do. This made me sad, so I told him to stuff work, and make games instead. I showed him AppGameKit, but he couldn't afford it. This will be great for him, because he was well enthused by the product!! Awesome!

Greenlig

Your signature has been erased by a mod as it is far too big.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 20:34 Edited at: 9th Sep 2011 20:36
Thanks TGC!

You guys really are the best!

Davee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2011 22:24
I wish this had come out a week earlier.

Of all the things I've lost, it's my... my... oh darn it.
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 12:33
Does the Trial version allow Tier 2? I tried following the instructions in the 'Dcouments' section but there is no 'Templates' folder. Does anyone know how I set up VS 2008 Express so that I can work with C++?
rujo
Years of Service
User Offline
hi, which are the limitations of the trial version?
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2011 13:38
The trial is Tier 1 only. We cannot offer tier 2 because it would be left unprotected.

The trial allows you to use Tier1 for 30 days. Then it will start nagging you to upgrade.

You cannot broadcast apps to the device players but you can compile tier1 games and see them on the PC. A small end screen is shown after the app you have created ends.

So this allows you to get a very good idea of what it's all about and then you can decide if it's the tool for you.

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
dapeeper
Years of Service
User Offline
Unfortunately the trial link is only for Windows.

Is there a trial for the Mac/iOS?
marty
Years of Service
User Offline
my download of the trial seems to be corrupted...

Marty

only the strange survive, make the familiar strange
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 04:51
If any of you have tried to do searches on the web for AppGameKit stuff, then you probably ran across the "Angry German Kid" (AGK).

Here is what happened when he found out about the AppGameKit Free Trial version...

Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 15:51
HAHAHAAAAAAA OMG how hilarious! He must be suffering from ADHD+ v2.0 or something. I once got so mad i smashed my keyboard also, haha

----------------
AGK user - novice
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's, just started programming again with AGK.
liam236
Years of Service
User Offline
hahahah wtf
what an idiot
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 16:35 Edited at: 11th Sep 2011 16:37
Quote: "I once got so mad i smashed my keyboard also, haha "

Me too.
Ah, the good old days of gaming on dial up connections.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2011 18:08
I like the bit when his '@' key fell out just before he got to type out his email address

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 00:31 Edited at: 12th Sep 2011 00:31
I think we're are all likely to have the odd AppGameKit moment with AppGameKit!

Financial Director
TGC Team
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 02:45
Downloading...I must rule the world!

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 02:55
Hey Josh, how's it going? Your website is looking very good!

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 06:48
Hey Rich, thanks. How's Dungeon Hack going? I was actually going to try and port your rnd dungeon snippet into AppGameKit as I've had a few ideas that I want to tryout.

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 06:59
Josh - I work on it off and on, I usually end up testing (playing) more often than writing code. But right now, I'm doing more AppGameKit than DBPro, so QuickHack is on the back-burner.

And of course I'll try a rogue-like for AppGameKit, but with AGK's limited array commands, and no Matrix1 utilities, porting that dungeon snippet code is going to take some heavy work-arounds.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 07:18
Tell me about it, but I found a way around it by having it randomize prefab modules instead of single grid spaces...anyway, that's for another thread. :p

DaveP
Years of Service
User Offline
Having trouble installing the trial - after the welcome screen I get this:

"Installation ended prematurely because of an error"

Same thing every time - after four different downloads...

System: win7/64bit
DaveP
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm having trouble installing the trial - after the welcome screen I get this:

"Installation ended prematurely because of an error"

System: Win7/64bit
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
DaveP
Years of Service
User Offline
Unfortunately, none of it works - and I've been installing .msi files quite regularly so I don't think it's windows. Is there an unusual setup or setting that the package uses? I'm on Home Premium Service pack 1, in case there's anyone out there who has tried the install and had no problems...
DaveP
Years of Service
User Offline
Further on it - after a bit of research I found a solution:

* Open a DOS prompt and navigate to your AppGameKitTrial.msi file's directory.

* Run this command there:
msiexec /i AppGameKitTrial.msi /qb

It runs more or less silently - I got a caution from Avast (program wanting to make changes) and from ZoneAlarm (DirectX install request via Internet), but otherwise very simple.

Once the prompt reappeared, I had a new (working) menu set up for the program under "The Game Creators".

Never had this happen before, but it seems to work, so I'm happy - and I'm posting it here in case anyone else gets the same sticky issue.

Now to try it out... and "Regieren die Welt" ("rule the world" - seemed appropriate after watching Angry German Kid here).
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 21:54 Edited at: 12th Sep 2011 21:56
Downloaded this and must say...

I'm in love.

As a coding language it's DBP...but better. Added with multiplatform support it's win. Sure I've not done a lot with it yet, but what I've been coding has been very simple to do off-the-bat. No tutorials required, it's very intuitive as a DBP user.

I guess I'll need to get some money together and buy this beasty.

Quote: " I got a caution from Avast (program wanting to make changes) and from ZoneAlarm "

I get Bullguard doing the same.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2011 05:06
There is a Trial for the Mac?

The Power System Developer - Street Karate Fighter Developer
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2011 08:59
Quote: "I think we're are all likely to have the odd AppGameKit moment with AppGameKit!"

Brilliant marketing
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2011 14:53
Nobody help me?
How to get the trial for Mac?

The Power System Developer - Street Karate Fighter Developer
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
There is no trial for the mac as OSX is Tier2 only. I think the trial is only Tier1.
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2011 03:15
I`m waiting to press the buy button, but I want to see something running on my iphone.

The demo download is fine and I am confident that the missing things will be added, but I am thinking the timing is a little premature with no appstore player. What if it doesn't get approved? Waste of time for me.
The 30% discount should be extended if the appstore player isn't approved in time...?

Arynderquane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2011 22:50
Hi, i believe in this software, but running on my pc is very different from running on my mobile.
Can you do something about it?
I want to buy this product, but i would like at least to see how it runs on my mobile because benchmarking on a pc is a different matter from benchmarking on a mobile.
Using tier 1 or tier 2, i would like to benchmark performances and understanding if this product is better/worst than java + android (i'm currently using that).
Alternatively, i believe in your words whatever you answer me about my benchmarking matters, but as u can mind the problem i'm posting about can apply to a lot of persons who can simply decide to discard this framework since they can't try it on a mobile.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Android AppGameKit is not even out yet!
If you want to benchmark AppGameKit then download an AppGameKit game from the Apple app store and test it!
If you want to make casual games, the price is really affordable. even if you make only 1 game with AppGameKit it will be still worth the small price tag investment
Arynderquane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 02:27
Eh, i don't want to benchmark casual games, i want to benchmark the same game written in java and written in AppGameKit
I'm still trying AppGameKit, it's my 1st day, so i'm full of questions as natural i am.

The truth is that my mind is seriously object oriented, so i find a lot of troubles in tier 1 programming because for example i can't define arrays in types (i opened a thread about this), and in bigger projects (like a game is) i'm not sure i can handle with order all the pieces, since i don't have objects.

I'd like to try the tier 2 version since it's object oriented, but as u know it's not included in the free trial.

BTW AppGameKit is so easy to use that sometimes results embarrassing. It's about 3 hours i've installed it and i've just now developed a game (snake clone). For sure the problem wont lie there.
dapeeper
Years of Service
User Offline
Regarding the trial, I think you should include the iOS player so that while you solve your problems with Apple, we can at least try out the player and see how AppGameKit works with iOS.

At the moment, all we have is a windows player so Touch and other iOS specific items cannot be tested.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2011 20:33
Currently the trial does not offer any kind of broadcast functionality so the player would be redundant. The trick with unlimited free trials is where to draw the line between offering a sample experience of the product and doing yourself out of a livelihood I am considering opening up the trial to include 'app streaming' which will send the app to any iOS device you might have, but that feels a little partisan and might just make the other platform supporters a little miffed.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Can't you just splatter a big AppGameKit logo in one corner of the player?
Westmere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2011 17:38
I think there are LOTS of ways to limit the trial but preventing people who want to try it from trying what it is intended for is pretty pointless.

My PC has 4x2,8 GHz but I am fairly certain that even if I underclocked it to the 1,0 GHz and shut down three of it's cores it would still be faster then my android Galaxy S phone. So where would be the point in trying the trial? I would have no idea if it went fast enough where I need it or if it would even work as promised as I cannot test what appears to be the most important part of AGK.

I just downloaded the Trial version but after reading that you cannot test on your mobile phone I am just gonna uninstall it again. No point in trying that for Windows, I have DBP for that

If you manage to get out a trial that let's you try it on mobile plattforms I will be happy to try again and see if it's worth it for me to start developing for mobiles (android) and if so I will most definitely buy AGK. But right now I cannot even try what I might be using it for... great concept though.

DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 13:24
I'm not understanding what you are saying. If it works for Windows, it should work the same on the other platforms. (Just like other people are doing on Android), so I fail to see your point.

App Game Kit (A.G.K.) - Want to be creative on many platforms at once? This is the tool you need.
Westmere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 16:28
Let me put it this way: If you are using Dark Basic Pro you will probably assume that what you compile in Windows XP will work the same way in newer Windows versions. But when you try it on other Windows versions you will find that certain things don't work as expected. For instance: Registry commands are not working properly under Windows 7 64 and older DBPro games won't run with Win 7 SP1 unless they are recompiled with a more up-to-date DBPro version 7.7.

And those are essentially the same operating systems! Now imagine you wanted to compile that same game that runs fine in Windows and put it up for Android which just happens to be a completely different system. Sure the promo material promises that it will work the same way.

But without my own codes to fool around with and see how fast or slow it will operate on an actual android phone I have no way of confirming if it behaves as I would intend my app to behave. What runs perfectly smooth on a Core i7 860 with 4x2,8 GHz might be unusably slow on an ARM processor with 1x1,0 GHz for all I know.

And is the touch interface working anything like I would like it to? I can't even try that on my Windows PC as touch screens are still pretty rare on desktop computers and even if they weren't a 24" screen is a totally different story from a 4" mobile phone screen.

And with all the rescaling AppGameKit apparently does to suit all the resolutiones do my graphics look as I intend them to or is it screwing it up? If so, can I fix it in a way that it suits my needs?

I'm sure if I would think about it longer I would come up with many more reasons. The bottom line for me is that without a trial that let's me test stuff that is important to me in the environment I need it for I don't need to test it at all. And I'm surely not gonna spend 100 $ on something I don't have the slightest clue of whether it will suit my needs or not.

I use DBPro for programming games for Windows. I would like to try AppGameKit to see if it makes sense for me to develop for mobile phones such as my Android based Galaxy S. I don't mind if the trial generates something that brings up a screen like "If you bought this game and see this screen, the autor of it has commited software piracy, please call the police immediately!" I don't care. But before I even think about buying a software to develop for a device I haven't developed for before I need to see if that software does what I need and how I need it.

I hope you understand me better now.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 16:43
I completely understand your viewpoint Westmere. The whole selling point of AppGameKit is "Write once deploy everywhere" but how do you know whether this is true without testing it?

I'm not sure there's a way around this at the moment but who knows, maybe at some point TGC will produce a trial version that can be properly tested on multiple devices.

You could read what people are saying about AppGameKit on the relevant part of the forum to get an idea but for the time being that's about it.

I can tell you that AppGameKit runs very slick on iOS (don't have Android) even with my current WIP which is not very optimised and hugely complicated but there will be some devices you'll have to learn to be more efficient in your coding for (not you specifically, I mean everyone). It runs much more efficiently than DBPro from my tests. I can have hundreds of sprites with individual AI running on all of them with no slowdown whatsoever. I can run hundreds of dynamic physics objects at 60fps too.

I guess it's up to you whether you trust testimonials enough and I wouldn't blame you if you didn't.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 17:15
I think this is asking for too much. Grown-up development systems cost about ten times what AppGameKit costs. There is no perfect cross-platform system. I'd say, develop what you think your app should be on Windows, and if its well-received, invest the trivial amount TGC require to deploy to other platforms.

-- Jim
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 17:28
Quote: "I think this is asking for too much."

I guess that's OK for you. Westmere is not alone in wanting to test the capabilities of the software before buying it though, I wasn't worried and pre-ordered very early on. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I guess that it only matters to TGC if they think they are missing enough sales through this issue.

Quote: "I'd say, develop what you think your app should be on Windows, and if its well-received, invest the trivial amount TGC require to deploy to other platforms."

That's good advice. I have to agree that AppGameKit is a very cheap and surprisingly stable 'young' development platform.

DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2011 10:34 Edited at: 20th Dec 2011 10:35
Westmere,

I understand what you are saying, but the issue is that what devices do you plan to test with and how would that work with a Trial version?

AppGameKit could end up working on 15 different platforms, which one should we have it work on a trial basis for?

This is kind of like saying, well it's summer out and I am test driving this brand new car and I can't see how this car drives in snow, so I am going to keep the car until the winter to see if it can drive okay in snow and if it can I will start making payments.

On Monkey, they have it only output HTML5 in the demo and that is all and even that is very limited. You can't test on other platforms without buying it including Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, etc..

Maybe you could provide code for the App Developer's group so they can get a feel if it works or not, but I think what you are asking for is a little hard to pull off to be honest.

App Game Kit (A.G.K.) - Want to be creative on many platforms at once? This is the tool you need.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2011 11:09
Quote: "Maybe you could provide code for the App Developer's group so they can get a feel if it works or not"

I'm sure there are plenty of us that would be happy to test your game

Quote: "This is kind of like saying, well it's summer out and I am test driving this brand new car and I can't see how this car drives in snow, so I am going to keep the car until the winter to see if it can drive okay in snow and if it can I will start making payments."

Well... not really in my opinion and here's why:

AGK is a development platform for multiple devices. Not being able to test on your intended platform makes a decision to purchase hard to judge. I realise that TGC have no control over being able to test on certain devices (EG. the iOS Player issues) but wherever it is possible to test on a device it is not unreasonable to request it be made possible in the trial version.

The example you give is entirely different because that request would be unreasonable.

If Monkey have made it possible to test only in one way then that's up to them, if TGC decide to do the same that's up to them but please don't say it's unreasonable to request more features in a trial version because it is just a request.

DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2011 00:20
Quote: "
If Monkey have made it possible to test only in one way then that's up to them, if TGC decide to do the same that's up to them but please don't say it's unreasonable to request more features in a trial version because it is just a request.
"

Well, you can request it but that is not easy to do. How many platforms should be in the trial and what do you base the limitations on for the trial version?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2011 09:53
I would post something like this on the bug board:
"Feature request: Allow compile and broadcast on trial version"

Surely then people could test on any device there is currently a player for? That's not so hard is it?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 10:46:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 10:46:57