Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Zork (Remastered) - A text adventure game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2011 05:01
I created it via DBpro. Actually someone else had started it but I am continuing building it still now. It's simply a prototype of the game I want to create. The real game won't be 2d nor it'll be 3d but a hybrid of them.

This is TDM (i.e. The Dark Man).

Attachments

Login to view attachments
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2011 12:07 Edited at: 18th Sep 2011 13:12
Unfortunately the foundation code you have taken over, was written by someone who didn't understand how text adventure games are/were programmed. Especially the most important parts which would comprise of an "actual" parser, and a tokenizer... even if it's a simple 2 word verb/object tokenizer.

(Zork I, while not sophisticated compared to more advanced text adventures as the genre progressed, it could handle actions : directions : objects :adjectives : prepositions : some syntactic constructions and ambiguities.)

It's probably not worth getting into, as it's not really the type of game you are planning on creating... but "handling" the user input should never be done, the way it is being done here.

Your signature has been erased by a mod please reduce it to 600 x 120.
Let the game begin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2011 19:08
I completely agree with you but as I've already said that it's simply a prototype and not more than that.
Here's a little description of my game:-
1. Navigation system
2. Parser supporting almost all statements.
3. The use of matrices in the background which will create 3d effect.

I know I won't be able to do much because I'm merely a beginner to programming since I am of 14.

Let the game begin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2011 09:52
The Initial Sources of my game might have been corrupted due to weak network signal. Here i am providing the prototype once again.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 21:00:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 21:00:45