Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Showcase / [X9] Silence. - Defy the Odds Competition Entry

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2011 14:02

Story : The year is 2052, the United Kingdom's population has been split between the upper class and the lower class. Due to the economic crash of the 2040's the wealthy survived and recovered whilst the poor became more and more deprived. Eventually the government had no choice but to relocated all the needy into council housing free of charge. As time passed the corrupt British government turned a blind eye to slums and even left the European Union on disagreement of human rights. Lower class citizens are forced to live in slums of cities while the upper class enjoy a life of luxury. London has been split into upper London and lower London. As a former lower London resident you worked your way up to upper London and got a job as an agent for the government primarily operating in lower London due to your experiences of growing up throughout the crisis and fending for yourself over the years. Gone back for a friend who needs a hand you learn it's worse than you thought.

DOWNLOAD

http://www.filefactory.com/file/cd245ed/n/Silence_Installation.exe

Omegamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2011 15:16
Will try ASAP

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2011 15:28
You had me at "cartoon violence" Will try this out.

Bootlicker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2011 18:42
sweet, let me know how it goes.

Omegamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2011 19:18
Well you have to add invisible walls all inside your map because as example at level 2 at the beginning I was able to jump over the fence out of the map.
My maps are much smaller and 50-100 invisible walls per level

Help bugs!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2011 12:55 Edited at: 20th Sep 2011 10:27
Downloading this now. Going to scope out the competition haha

Help bugs!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2011 10:26 Edited at: 21st Sep 2011 15:23
OK. I tryed the game. Here's my thoughts.

Pros.
The map design is great
Excellent Light mapping
Text tips are good
Voice acting
Music is very good
GUI

Cons
Hard to know where to go. (this is annoying)
often to dark to find anything
the ai (I know you can't do much about this though)
At level 5 or 6 (can't remember) where you had to find a key.
I looked for ages and thought I had to stack crates to jump over the black wall of boxes.
And ended up trapped having not saved game.

Overall pretty entertaining but needs a little work.

Bootlicker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2011 23:16
your supposed to use the boxes to go through the window at 'club bella', i thought that was pretty straightforward, id hate to see your frustration at the little annoying thing in the next level then

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2011 03:15
I realized how to use the boxes but found it unecessarily tedious to run 3 times through half of the backalley for that task. Thats no fun, just stretching playtime imo.

I have a hard time decideing how my review will be and I'll have to replay it a couple of times - but with some days in between.

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2011 11:09
Quote: "I realized how to use the boxes but found it unecessarily tedious to run 3 times through half of the backalley for that task."

I did with one trip by taking a box throwing it, taking another box throwing it next to the other one and the same with the third box. Took alot less time and wasn't so tedious and I kept all the boxes with me all the time.

I think it was a pretty good game, it was the most touching story I've seen in a FPSC game, that's not saying much, but still, good job there. I also liked that it wasn't just a linear pipe, it had some exploring elements to it, but in the sewer map I think it was way overdone. It went from "Cool I'm exploring" lost to that "Damn this place is a maze!" lost, which is not good. But on a second playthrough it wasn't so bad, was actually able to find something.

The humor was also good, especially liked the letter in the bar, telling they have to go outside if they want to do their business. The dildo weapon (did I just say that?) was kinda WTF funny, I actually made me laugh when I found it. It was great, but with the touching lost daughter story, it felt a bit out of place and made the game a lot less touching and epic as it could have been, if some of that fart humour and sex jokes were instead used for character development, so that the player could have felt more sorry for the father. But if you intented it to be like that then, well alright.

The combat was quite fun, but in the bar fighting sequence, you could have given the player something to hide behind. Other than that, fighting against people was really fun. The monsters were okay. The ones in the sewer made me jump a bit, but other than that they didn't leave any kind of impression. It would have been cool if the dogs attacked you if you went too close or something, but I could even jump on them and they would just stay there and eat. I know it's not your fault, that's how the dogs are in the pack, but for this game it would have felt approppriate in my opinion.

The ending was good in my opinion, not gonna spoil that for people however, but good job on that. Then generic "game completed" screen happened. Maby an outro video or something? The ending could have been, again, more touching and epic than it now is, atm it's good.

I liked it and would give it 7/10, it had alot of potential, but a lot of that potential, I felt, was left unused. I hope you take my criticism constructively, because I know you are able to do something great with FPSCreator.

PS: Sound acting was great, 10/10 on that part. Great job.

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2011 12:40
Quote: "the ai (I know you can't do much about this though)"

Copy any "you can do better AI, just try it" speech of mine I made in the past few years and insert it here.

I'll review this together with ohter showcase titles later

Matter is energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively Theres no such thing as death,life is only a dream,and were the imagination of ourselves.
Bootlicker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2011 16:21 Edited at: 25th Sep 2011 16:24
Quote: "I realized how to use the boxes but found it unecessarily tedious to run 3 times through half of the backalley for that task. Thats no fun, just stretching playtime imo.

I have a hard time decideing how my review will be and I'll have to replay it a couple of times - but with some days in between.
"

yeah, i know that it got tedious, i was actually expecting a few people to cheat like i did when i was testing and just use one box, but it was actually intended just to stretch game time a little.

Quote: "I think it was a pretty good game, it was the most touching story I've seen in a FPSC game, that's not saying much, but still, good job there. I also liked that it wasn't just a linear pipe, it had some exploring elements to it, but in the sewer map I think it was way overdone. It went from "Cool I'm exploring" lost to that "Damn this place is a maze!" lost, which is not good. But on a second playthrough it wasn't so bad, was actually able to find something.
"

thanks, i wanted it to be quite unique for an FPSC game. also, that map i wanted to be a little like a maze to stretch the game time a bit more, i wanted the game not be one of them where it takes 5 minutes to play the whole way through.

Quote: "The humor was also good, especially liked the letter in the bar, telling they have to go outside if they want to do their business. The dildo weapon (did I just say that?) was kinda WTF funny, I actually made me laugh when I found it. It was great, but with the touching lost daughter story, it felt a bit out of place and made the game a lot less touching and epic as it could have been, if some of that fart humour and sex jokes were instead used for character development, so that the player could have felt more sorry for the father. But if you intented it to be like that then, well alright.
"

i wanted it to be quite funny, but i did not intended it to ruin the atmosphere of the story, goddamn. :L i shall remember to maybe make the humour a little more subtle and less like toilet humour to try and keep the atmosphere a bit more serious.

Quote: "The combat was quite fun, but in the bar fighting sequence, you could have given the player something to hide behind. Other than that, fighting against people was really fun. The monsters were okay. The ones in the sewer made me jump a bit, but other than that they didn't leave any kind of impression. It would have been cool if the dogs attacked you if you went too close or something, but I could even jump on them and they would just stay there and eat. I know it's not your fault, that's how the dogs are in the pack, but for this game it would have felt approppriate in my opinion. "

ah, i need to work on the AI for my games a bit more, i dont concentrate on the combat very much, just stock scripts and i test with much more health than i build with, i shall pay extra special attention to AI in future projects to make it better hopefully.

Quote: "The ending was good in my opinion, not gonna spoil that for people however, but good job on that. Then generic "game completed" screen happened. Maby an outro video or something? The ending could have been, again, more touching and epic than it now is, atm it's good. "

Thanks, I was gonna make an outro video but i wasnt quite sure where to get resources or what to put in it. i will remember to make the ending much better next time to give a more rounded story. Also, i got a bit bored of creating this towards the end so i just wanted it out of the way in the end. xD

Quote: "I liked it and would give it 7/10, it had alot of potential, but a lot of that potential, I felt, was left unused. I hope you take my criticism constructively, because I know you are able to do something great with FPSCreator.
"

thank you very much for all of them crits! thats probably one of the first times where ive seen a comment in my games that actually helps me genuinely. thank you so much! I shall try to make a special effort on the points that you said, then maybe ill get myself into the BOTB titles.

Quote: "Copy any "you can do better AI, just try it" speech of mine I made in the past few years and insert it here.

I'll review this together with ohter showcase titles later
"

ahaha, ill be waiting mate. thanks

kulet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2011 11:27
Hey dude, I am currently making a developer/publsher website, would you like your game be published on my site? Free, no charge, I will also put this in the free games section. If yes, drop me an email, rwsbgames@gmail.com

work in progress
Bootlicker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2011 16:59
sure you can! take anything you want, as long as you credit me.

im too lazy to email you though xD

kulet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2011 04:49 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2011 05:21
It's there.. wanna see it? www.rwsbgames.com

work in progress

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 20:55:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 20:55:58