Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark Basic GDK/SDK and Windows 64 Bit

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

does anyone knows if a Dark GDK application can run on Windows 64 Bit version like Windows 7 or Vista?

I implemented a 2D game, but it won't run on Vista 64 or Win 7 64. I could not find an answer on the forum.

Did anyone else run in this problem?
Mr Bigglesworth
Years of Service
User Offline
No, I have a 64bit Win7 and everything works fine. If you give us the error it has when you try to run it, maybe we ca help you.
gdudas
Years of Service
User Offline
hey, thanks for that information!!

you can download the game here

http://labyrinth.nstweb.net/Labyrinths2011.zip

I have no Problems on XP 32 bit computers or Windows 7 32 bit,
but 2 users on a 64 bit OS told me that the game crashes on startup...
Mr Bigglesworth
Years of Service
User Offline
It ran perfectly fine besides a lot of system bitmap permission errors. Those errors may be the reason it is crashing on theirs, but I am not sure since I can run it on win7 64bit fine and they can't.
gdudas
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "system bitmap permission errors"

that is interesting. Did you get a windows box, and you had to grant access? I am using the dbGetImage() function and copy content to bitmaps, but I don't know what a system bitmap would be...

Do you know?
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
According to your bug report, the crash happens because of MSVCR90.dll which is a Visual Studio file. To distribute a program developed with VS on another computer, you need to install not only DirectX but the VS redistributables as well. Some computers may already have it, others may have a different version. Try downloading the version appropriate for your Visual Studio, install on the target machine and see if that helps.

For example here is the download for VS 2008 Service Pack 1:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5582

So far I haven't had a problem with Dark GDK on 64-bit Windows 7.
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2011 21:24 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2011 22:35
So, I ran your program just once and it contiuously says "trying to read a surface which has no read permission" or something like that.

EDIT: I found a post which says that this error could happen when you read an image from a surface with anti-aliasing on.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=131430&b=1&p=1
gdudas
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello, many thanks for trying it out... problem I have is that I do not have access to a 64 bit Windows...

there might be 2 issues:

1) redistributable files are missing or wrong
you could download it here and copy the files to the folder of Labyrinths.exe
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21125031/redistVC9.zip

2) texture loading

not sure about that since I don't use textures but I use LoadImage
with the flag set to 1 (no filtering or anything)...

anyone willing to try the redist files?

thanks,
George
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
To test the redistributables, you should install them on a computer where the program previously crashed, and see if it helps. It doesn't crash on my computer, so I can't try that for you. (The complaint about unreadable surface is a different problem.) Also, I would advise to use the EXE installer downloaded from the Microsoft site instead of just copying a few DLLs.
gdudas
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

now my game is at the IGF 2012 and of course some judge has the same error

I googled and found this exact message
MessageBox ( NULL, "Tried to read a surface which has no read permissions!", "System Memory Bitmap Error", MB_OK );

in some DarkBasicPro Source code CImageC.cpp

I think it is because I use GetImage()

I would think that there is a problem with GetImage() and Windows 7 (I tested with Windows 7 professional and it was fine).

If anyone from the GDK dev team could look into it, why GetImage could throw this message? Thanks!
gdudas
Years of Service
User Offline
could it be that a Virusscanner prevents GetImage() execution??
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2011 18:17
As much as some microsoft diehards say "Good application must behave, and never write to here or there..." I say heck with that

... Install the game to c:\myprograms\yourgame and lost all that pesky "you may" "you may not" that Microsoft arbitrarily tosses out there...

Perfect example - Leadwerks, 3DWorld Studio - GREAT program.. doesn't save settings now ... until you do something like I said - what a pain.

I'm not saying write sloppy code, I'm just saying - at a minimum - test in a folder that microsoft isn't micromanaging your code - then you can decide how you want to go...

If they made Program File (x86) work like legacy xp and the new 64bit Programs folder worked their new way - I'd be pretty content on that matter.

--Jason

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-02 21:30:58
Your offset time is: 2024-10-02 21:30:58