Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / "Which" - Revisited and unlocked

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2011 14:08 Edited at: 28th Sep 2011 17:41
Let me start by saying I have no experience on this site, or with DarkBASIC in general, but I do know just enough to get into trouble, so I apologize ahead of time to the moderator who will probably move this post into the proper sub-forum or delete it outright. I registered a few hours ago because I've spent a sleepless night hammering out a couple of annoyances I was having with a scary, short adventure called Which.

I know that front-ends can be a boring pain to write and test, and I understand that to most designers, showing off their awesome game as soon as possible is usually the top priority, and though that can be a good thing, I just couldn't play this game at its compulsory 800x600, staring down half each of two different frames the entire time. It's a good looking game, and it was aggravating to be unable to get a good look at it, so I took a hex editor to the executables, and I'm going to share what I figured out. Hopefully, now everyone can [re]play it at resolutions up to, and at the limit of their hardware, without any mandatory screen tearing, and without bothering Which's creator.

The offsets I found are identical across all three executables (Lo, Hi, and 3-D). All these changes/patches have been tested with each EXE to my satisfaction, and also on separate hardware, but use them at your own risk. I can't guarantee you won't randomly melt your computer. Of course, at higher resolutions and/or with Vsync enabled (especially if altering and running the 3-D EXE), expect to see a moderate to severe drop in framerate, depending on your hardware.

Here are the offsets:

*Refer to this list for common resolutions and their formatted hexadecimal equivalents.

If your field of vision seems incorrect, make sure sure that your patched resolution's aspect ratio matches the aspect ratio of your Windows desktop. I found no offset for setting FOV; the game automatically corrects FOV for changes to the aspect ratio.
Koalu
Years of Service
User Offline
I have also just successfully applied these same adjustments to "Where," another Mike Inel creation.

The important offsets for that game are listed below, and oddly, they're precisely 4096 lines higher in the compiled hex:

Again, no manual FOV changes are (at this time) possible, or really even necessary.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2011 22:52 Edited at: 28th Sep 2011 22:54
It's a really good game, I suppose it doesn't hurt to fix the res.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 17:49:47
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 17:49:47