Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Quiting DarkGDK ? [Discussion]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey community...

its been a while since i dont use DarkGDK..

I found a cool Lib called Allegro, it's newb friendly and very usefull..

But sometimes you cant forget some things from the past ... like the easy dbMoveSprite() ... like the dbLoadSprite() etc..

I wonder if there is a way.. to find how some of DGDK functions work.. because in allegro i dont know how to move a little guy on the 2D screen... (its sad i know but ... i was so addicted to DarkGDK... it teaches us bad bad habits ..)

Hope you guys help me

C++ Medium 3.5/5
VB6 Advanced: 4/5
VB.NET Advanced: 4/5
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2011 21:57
You can get the DarkGDK source code and have a look at how they have done it. I think it's on TGC's google code pages or something.
You may get some inspiration about how they wrap up certain underlying API functionality (DirectX in this case) to create those easy-to-use DarkGDK functions.

vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
I will try to find the source code

C++ Medium 3.5/5
VB6 Advanced: 4/5
VB.NET Advanced: 4/5
TerryRussell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 13:39 Edited at: 9th Oct 2011 13:46
You can get the very latest source code at
http://darkbasicpro.googlecode.com/svn/trunk

You need Tortoise SVN installed to download it all.

Regrettably, I have now abandonded Dark GDK for my development work and moved on to Irrlicht instead. It seemed to me that the Dark GDK was three-quarters finished, with some very serious bugs and omissions (3ds support not working, many memory leaks, no way to protect assets and so on).

I spent a lot of time bug-fixing and adding new functions, but it seemed to me that the developers had lost interest and moved onto something they found more interesting.

I am looking to the future (DXD11) and Dark GDK isn't there. Nor is the ADK, based on this experience. Having been disappointed once, I won't risk it again. It is a great shame, as I love the ease of use of Dark GDK. Had it worked as promised, my development times would have been substantially reduced.

Amazing Simulation
www.amazing-forum.com
Neotron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 00:32
I am sorry, but moving to the "future" doesn't always mean to leave everything behind.

What i meant to say was that you can make really cool games using old directx 9 or even 8. All you need is some determination and focus , FOCUS! lol.

Anyways , I think that moving on to higher levels of API's which most can't afford easily is not a good idea.

I love Dark GDK , despite of its unfinished weakness. But you can integrate directx directly into it.

They asked me for a proof.
Now i am making one........
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 04:00 Edited at: 12th Oct 2011 04:02
For me, GDK was great to start with because, hey, back to C/C++. I jumped into Pure GDK after a while and found that it gave a lot more freedom. Either way, it's the programmer who restricts themselves, either by knowledge or patience.

At the moment I'm working with DBP plugins and Pure GDK. DBP because I will always have a soft spot for DBP. Pure GDK because of the freedom.

EDIT: I've tried other libraries, Allegro, Irrlicht, etc. As an old hat programmer, namespaces are alien to me, GDK is an engine I can be comfortable with.

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2011 04:10 Edited at: 25th Oct 2011 04:11
DGDK is great! It has its flaws, but it's nothing a little determination can't fix. Some problems have plugins that can be used to overcome shortcommings, but others you just have to live with-- you adjust. I have been interested in PureGDK for a while, but I don't want to start over until I finish my current project. I have had some experience using DirectX and, I have to say, DGDK is WAY BETTER than developing your own libraries.

The fastest code is the code never written.
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2011 20:19
I agree with Hawkblood, I'm not quitting DGDK anytime soon

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2011 18:33
I too think DarkGDK is pretty sweet with its flaws and without - frankly there isn't an engine out there that doesn't have pros and Cons....

I've had #1 Famous Leading Edge Engines Fail because we couldn't devise a way to bring in media using the tools available... even starting with 3DS max formats... (the big guerilla for modelling packages) No blender didn't help either sadly...

We've bounced around which tech to use, looking at code and artwork workflow editors - they all have major selling points and often you don't find until later - major pitfalls.

MRPdeveloper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2011 04:06
i moved onto core direct x i pretty much make my functions like dark gdk becuase i do love how they went about designing the library's dbmove is so easy, to your answer they would use vector's

vectors are the only most important thing u need in gamedevelopment they handle the X,Y,Z positions on the screen of a object etc dbmoveup(1,1) would be just saying Vector.Y ++;
that is all, i havent seen the source code i tried to get the darkgdk source code to add it to further improve dark gdk through community support i contacted a TGC admin and he said there is no such thing dark gdk is not avalible for source code only dark basic profesional, he said dark gdk will never be avalible even though i seen on some websites mentioning dark gdk and dark basic profesional, i think its idiotic for TGC to not get a opensource agreement allow us to improve it and improve it.

it doesent take brains to understand dark gdk is different and revolutionary it deffinitly is something big being thrown in the bin
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2011 05:40
Quote: "contacted a TGC admin and he said there is no such thing dark gdk is not avalible for source code only dark basic profesional"

dark basic proffesional and dark gdk are the same thing. The source code that is compiled to get dbpro plugins is the same one that is compiled to get dark gdk librarys.
You can get it here:
http://code.google.com/p/darkbasicpro/

MRPdeveloper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2011 06:57
oh thank you ill check them out, i guess its possible for us to take the code and remake functions using this source and fixing problems them using them ourselves?? is it already being done? if not ill probebly like to do it myself
Zapleaf
Years of Service
User Offline
I would love to see some work done to the dark GDK code. To know it is still being worked on and a live would make me very happy.
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2011 19:34
Quote: " i guess its possible for us to take the code and remake functions using this source and fixing problems them using them ourselves?? is it already being done?"

check the license on that link, i don't know

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-02 21:31:39
Your offset time is: 2024-10-02 21:31:39