Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Alienware Entry: Testers Needed

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2003 18:04
I think I've finally found the right forum to put this in. Anyway, can some people please test my entry for the Alienware Competition.

The bandwidth on the website is limited so please only download it if you are going to post feedback.

Any ideas/ bugs you find please let me know. Enjoy

http://www.geocities.com/alienware_competition

Thanks

...and like that; he's gone...
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2003 18:24
Website up but zip file don't exist!

If your mansion house needs haunting, just call Rentaghost!
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2003 21:43
Sorry about that, didn't realize that file addresses were case sensitive. It's fixed now.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2003 22:09
Very odd game indeed but strangely playable!

The pause that happens every time a new alien appears is most annoying. Suggest you find a different way to create new alien. Load it once and use clone or instance. If you can't get that to work, maybe best to load up, say 30 aliens at the start, hide them, and just show them when needed.

When you get powerup that makes you big, you can wander off into space

Put a limit on number of aliens. I had about 30 on screen and game gets slower and slower with every alien.

Crashed spaceship on left could do with a texture of some variety, although the green dome is nice!

Looking good so far. I Like the music, and using alienware logo as mouse pointer is a good idea and works quite well. Even changing the icon of exe to alien head. Anything to persuade judges!

5. The shadow that appears under meteors would look better if started off lighter and grew darker as rock fell.

That's all from me. Anyone else?

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2003 12:42
Did you get a chance to play the multiplayer?

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2003 16:52
Just played multiplayer but don't get it at all! Seems running through ray from ufo's gets you points and that's it! So just running around in circles gets you loads of points.

Game bombed out after about 30 aliens on screen.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2003 17:51
Hey? To score you need to get an enemy alien to be abducted into your ufo. (Red into Red UFO, Blue into Blue UFO). First to 40 wins. You shouldn't be able to score by just running under the beam your self. Are you sure you can do that? You have to get the aliens to follow you rather than your opponent and them lead them into your UFO.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2003 18:15
You are right (obviously!). Maybe it would help to have a simple Instruction page to explain the rules - judges of compo will obviously need a little help on knowing what to do!

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2003 20:21
Good idea, I'll add a little splash screen when you start a game (I was trying to think of a way of not having it just go straight into the game anyway). I've added a hi scores table (which was a lot harder than I thought it would be) but looks pretty good and works well.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2003 14:17
New version is on the site.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2003 15:58
Your new version works except 'controls' menu option causes a runtime error 10.

I would also consider making the green text a bit brighter on all menus as it is VERY dark and hard to read.

There is also a problem in multiplayer mode where you can wander into space at top left and top right of playarea

heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2003 20:30 Edited at: 27th Oct 2003 20:33
I also get the error 10 for the controls pick.

I can move off the bottom right edge.

For games after the first one, the screen does not clear between frames so you get trails on the part of the screen that is not updated.

DO NOT force me to look at your title screen if I want to move on. A mouse click or keypress should allow things to IMMEDIATELY proceed.

I had no idea how to play or what to do. Obviously you haven't gotten the telepathy thing down, so YOU NEED TO INCLUDE THE RULES.

The more you see, the more you know.
The more you know, the more you see.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2003 20:56
I think I uploaded an older, bugged version by mistake. It's fixed now. That walking off at corners thing is REALLY annoying but its a bug in DB rather than my code. I've made it possible to skip the "Alien Rampage" blurry screen but I think I'd better leave the Alienware logo because I don't want to infringe on the rules.

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2003 23:09
thats a pretty good game, very original idea, well done! it does however have some issues:

- limit on the number of aliens. (i didn't think you could have that many aliens on screen at one time and still have a descent fps, especially with my average laptop )

- different types of power-ups would be nice.

- i got to a score of about 35,000 and didn't feel i had a reason to go on, you have to fill this void! maybe add different levels of play? faster aliens? aliens coming with guns and you have to dodge thier shots as well as them? etc

- the rest are basically summed up above.

like i said before, good game but it could still be improved greatly.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2003 00:22
Good idea about the aliens with guns/faster aliens. I'll try it out and see how it works.

I haven't started optimizing the code yet. At the moment it's really long and drawn out code so that I can separate bits out for easy development.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2003 00:23
I'm going to add a 'gun' powerup I think, as well.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2003 10:48
Don't double post please.
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2003 12:06
yeah, that should make things more interesting!

RossageSausage
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Chris,

Addictive game....I got some easy ideas for you. What you can do is instead of loading a new enemy every time one dies you can load say 25-30 enemies to start with, and hide the ones you arent going to use until later. You can put enemies "generators" or something and have them pop out of that (or have the enemies run out of a hut or ufo or something). You can have say 3 generators with 10 enemies a piece and have an enemy come out of the generator each time a comrade dies. Just one idea.

Also if you could make some way of recognizing that you just got hit, like make the screen flash a transparent blood red (easiest way) that would make it more tense I would think.....it would make me try harder not to get close to them at all.

Also maybe you can have a powerup or something that makes you deadly to the aliens touch (got to make it hard to get or use sparingly). It would be funny to have like 10 aliens chasing you and about to get you then haul ass away from you as you reach the power-up (PAC-MAN PELLETS! lol)

Just some thought...good luck

RossageSausage
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2003 23:30
Err.. that sounds exactly like the growth powerup. Thanks for the other ideas.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2003 22:06
New version is on the site:-

http://www.geocities.com/alienware_competition

Loads of improvements.
Can someone with a hi spec PC (same as the judges) tell me what the speed is like please; Just a rough idea (very fast/bit slow etc.)

Hope you like it. I've tried to do most of what you've said.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2003 01:07
Vast improvement - well done! Award yourself a pat on the back.

Only slight niggle is that aliens start position should not be right on top of you. Suggest a minimum distance away from you.

PS I have tested on a laptop Pentium4 2.5Ghz, Radeon 9000, WinXP and runs at just the right speed.

Boo!
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2003 12:02
Great. I'll try and fix that thing where they appear right on top of you. It seems to happen rather a lot even though, mathematically, the chances of it happening are about 1/400000. Maybe DB just hates me.

Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2003 05:25
1) Powerup notifications sometimes come up 1-2 minutes early, and sometimes say its a wrong powerup

2) When you get a quake powerup or kill masses of aleins at once it is veerrrrrrryyyyyyy slow (2.6GHz)

3) When you die you often go through another alein because it was the thing that killed you, have it back away so it looks better

4) It needs some overly dramatic music for when you die

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2003 12:03
The Powerup thing is just what powerups you could get. After 2000 points you can get speed, after 5000 you can get quake/speed, after 10000 you can get growth/quake/speed ...

I'm making it so that it kills them randomly over the quake. That should speed it up and make it look better.

I'll add a "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" (Platoon style) when you die.

3dZmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2003 14:26
Its pretty good... The soldiers ruined my day... But... It isnt synced with timer, true? Its annoying when it slows down when there are many enemies. I will test new versions too...
This strangely reminds me of the finnish game "Murkut" (Ants, in english), but now its 3d... =) Good luck improvng!

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2003 14:52
I can't find a download of Murkut. I hope it isn't too similar, the judges might think I copied it.

3dZmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2003 15:28
No no... It just reminds me of it. Murkut is a 2D game. Dont worry. Probaply the judges havent ever even heard about it and if they have, they wouldn think this is same kinda... Its just me and my head...

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2003 16:22
Phew

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2003 14:27
screeeeeeeeeeniessssssss

My philosophy:
LESS CHAT MORE SCREENIES.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2003 16:50 Edited at: 8th Nov 2003 16:50
Screenshot here :-

http://www.geocities.com/alienware_competition/1.GIF

Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 05:20 Edited at: 11th Nov 2003 05:32
I just thought of something for you to consider!
It would be nice if once the purple aleins w/guns appear there should be a health powerup!

Anyway, When I died i had just spun in a circle w/da gun killing a bunch of aleins. The explosition animations repeated over and over and over and over and over and over and my bullets stayed in the air, not moving. once again I fell through an alein

The explosions could use some work.
fiddle around with this:

I wanted to learn C++ but then I started having nightmares.
I would scream at night, "AHHHHH!!! THE SEMI-COLONS"
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 16:34 Edited at: 11th Nov 2003 16:36
Yeah, now I have the system where powerups come as the game progresses I think I am going to add a health powerup. Although, I think it'll only give you about 20 health (powerups come quite regularly). I don't really have that much time to code now I'm back at school.

P.S. I'm coding in DBC so that code doesn't work (I think thats why its not working anyway). Thanks anyway, I'll try and find some code for DBC (explosions are a bit crap)

Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2003 21:08
Oh, I didn't know you made this in classic.
Don't make the health powerups too healthy, it would be to easy

I wanted to learn C++ but then I started having nightmares.
I would scream at night, "AHHHHH!!! THE SEMI-COLONS"
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2003 15:37
Too much coursework to play on computers at the moment. Sorry, but I probably won't release any new versions before I submit it.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2003 17:08
I still really want people to test and comment.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 03:17:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 03:17:20