Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / New font packs - Price? Release date?

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2011 11:20
Just spotted this video and wondered when they might become available and for how much?

Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
Or free, you can use the Bitmap Font Creator and grab all the fonts you need from 1001 Fonts.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2011 12:14 Edited at: 4th Oct 2011 12:23
Yes I have two different free font makers but I was wondering about this particular set...

The main advantage of sets like this is that they come Royalty Free I would have thought.

In my experience many font sites state that fonts are free but if you check the "README" files that come with the set they are often NOT free, and you have to then either pay / ask permission / look for another font which can be very frustrating, particularly if you are a way into your project or ready to publish before you realise it.

That's why I wondered how much these were going to cost

EDIT: I just got an answer on the cost...
Quote: "$9.99 usd, £6.99 gbp, or $24.99 / £15.58 for all three"

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2011 12:40
Here are some more detailed videos:

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2011 13:13
Yes they are all royalty free, and there's no legal issues when using these font packs. They should go on sale today, final touches are just being made to the product page.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2011 14:52
Thanks Dan!

Maybe not such a big deal for anyone producing free games or just for themselves and their friends but it could save a lot of 'Royalty' hassle for people publishing their games.

Sorry for the spoiler!

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2011 15:05
I agree many users don't realise the legal hassle waiting behind fonts, I discovered the legal minefield when publishing my novel last year. It would be especially bad if their games hit the top 100 list. Hopefully this will make life easier for all.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 04:52
If there is one thing that will give your app away as an AppGameKit app is the default font you will invariably use at some point to display a score or title text. Much like the orange screen from AMOS and the dark blue screen of DBP, as soon as you see that initial flash of colour (and in the case of DBP the 15MB executable you know you're in 'easy programming' land. If you really want to disguise the origin of your app completely from the end user, switching your default font is probably the only thing you need to do. If you want to see some tutorials on how to use the AppGameKit font packs, post here as I am sure Daniel will be watching

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 10:35
I haven't bought them yet as I'm a bit low on finance and my games aren't quite at the stage where I need them yet but I definitely will.

They are a great resource. Looks like a lot of time has been spent choosing a very widely usable set of fonts.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:06:20
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:06:20