Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK_SQL Library

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

I just bought AppGameKit and it is amazing.
One thing that really is missing and is a must, is the possibility to connect to Databases. Is there information when this will be added?

It wouldn't only boost Games made with AppGameKit, but gives possibility to make actual apps in AGK.

Or am I able to use a C++ Library to get around this?

Cheers,

Leo
Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2011 18:54
If you use Tier 2 of AppGameKit then you can add SQL (SQLite etc.) support to your project.

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
I am already happy to hear that, do you have any links to confirm that [tuts/docs]? And are you talking about AppGameKit and C++ version?
Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2011 21:46
Here're some information about the C++ version of AGK. You can use C++ to extend the whole thing but also use the advantages of AppGameKit commands: http://www.appgamekit.com/go-native.php

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2011 09:19 Edited at: 5th Oct 2011 09:24
Yes I knew that. But the problem is that you can ONLY go native right?, meaning you can't use C++ Library MySql to make your app, it won't be allowed by Apple. Can someone confirm this?

EDIT: I should have read the FAQ, dumb me...

Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2011 09:25
Use SQLite for databases on iOS devices. SQLite is supported by it. There's no MySQL on these devices as there's no server software for it. The question is "what" do you want to achive with MySQL? If you want to connect to a MySQL Server for highscores and stuff then try to use a direct connection to a PHP or ASP script on a server. Otherwise use SQLite for storing stuff on the machine.

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2011 09:28 Edited at: 5th Oct 2011 09:39
Stored Message Board. Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down, and so on.

Quote: "PHP or ASP"

Not totally safe.

And yes I was going for SQLAPI. Thanks for the info anyways! Appreciate your help!

EDIT: Change SQLite to SQLAPI.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 05:08
Before we consider adding dedicated SQL commands into a future command set, does anyone have an alternative suggestion? Currently you are in charge of your own file formats using sequential read and write commands. Primitive but you effectively have total control with just a few easy commands. We also have network commands to create server client systems for online hi-scores, and we also have some HTTP/HTTPS commands lined up for the future too for PHP script communication.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 05:30
Although I understand the idea of using SQL, I don't think it would be really necessary to be supported directly by AppGameKit tier 1. The problem with that is the fact that it should be a database supported for all platforms. Not sure if this is true for SQLite.

Thinking about Tier 1 code, I think it would be more useful for keep configuration files, saved data, etc in a structured text-base file. The two that comes to my mind is the old Windows INI format, and XML.

If TGC wants to be safe for future implementations, maybe creating a generic set of functions to access SQL-type data (aka table, row, field) that could be connected to the actual driver. The concept would be very similiar to ODBC for example. That way, if platform A supports SQLite, it could use it, and if platform B supports WhateverSQL, the same code could be used, just changing the underlying library. This is very nice, but I'm not sure if it worth the effort to make versus the number of people that would use it.

My vote would be stay with a INI or XML format though.

Cheers

----------
Paulo
http://www.mobilecreators.com
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I think adding a few HTTP/HTTPS commands would be great. if we are able to call php scripts then we can have access to sql too!
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "We also have network commands to create server client systems for online hi-scores, and we also have some HTTP/HTTPS commands lined up for the future too for PHP script communication."

That's a pretty good solution, i use it in Objective-C (which doesnt have a good mysql library too to integrate).

Basicaly you send a http request, this being a php file with some given values. And after that you get the result (basicaly what is outputted by the php file itself).

Add that and you can have alot of powerfull stuff in it. Can imagine it already.

Cheers,

Leo
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 17:53 Edited at: 12th Oct 2011 17:54
Coming from a software company that has fairly recently (unnecessarily) integrated SQL into a perfectly usable program (...and rendered it far more complicated to maintain, update and fix!) I would opt out of using SQL for anything that didn't 100% require it. There are so many other (more maintainable) ways of doing what most people believe you need SQL for...

I would rather read an INI, XML or even a simple text file 99% of the time.

Davee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2011 01:16
In any software development you should only introduce technologies that are absolutely essential to the success of the product. It is easy to implement a technology just because you can, or know how to but it should be avoided. A database backend can be useful but not for me right now.

Of all the things I've lost, it's my... my... oh darn it.
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Coming from a software company that has fairly recently (unnecessarily) integrated SQL into a perfectly usable program (...and rendered it far more complicated to maintain, update and fix!) I would opt out of using SQL for anything that didn't 100% require it. There are so many other (more maintainable) ways of doing what most people believe you need SQL for..."

I am pretty sure if you want a remotly controlled database where you can log in to and view peoples profile of a game you will need MySQL (or any other database format). Yet I understand what you are saying, alot of things can be done without it, think about a personal highscore etc. But with HTTP Requests you can do alot more, so i think implementing that will only add more power to the game engine.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 16:24:45
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 16:24:45