Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Sculpting or vertex-modeling for characters?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know how many of you use blender... But I'm currently trying to make characters in Blender, and I saw two different methods I could use thusfar: One is making a high-poly mesh and sculpting it using different tools. The other option is to take a base drawing or image and then create planes and extrude vertices to make face loops and connect different faces and create models that way.

Which do you all think is better?

-Rhyno
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2011 21:05 Edited at: 6th Oct 2011 21:06
Well, just remember that models used for games shouldn't have much more than 4000 poly's. You can add more detail with shaders if you need more detail.

Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, thanks! I think that gives me option two.

I'm using [href=this]http://cgcookie.com/blender/2009/01/09/modeling-a-human-head-series-part-1/[/href] approach to modelling.

I'll post some art when I have it done.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2011 14:29
however a sculpted model could be retopoed into a lowpoly model: its all about preference here

The result of origin.. Oh and ponies
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2011 14:55
Yep, either that, or use a program like Sculptris, Import the object into blender, Make a clone of the sculpted model, Decrease it's polygon count (with decimate or poly reduce), position the lowpoly at the same place as the highpoly, UV unwrap the Lowpoly, add a blank-black image, then go to the Render options, go to "Render", go to the "Bake" tab, click "Normals" and on a box, go to Tangent, then Bake Active to selected or something like that, then click bake, should be a good alternative

http://awolthehunted.blogspot.com/
For the latest news on my FPS in development, check out my blog!
Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "however a sculpted model could be retopoed into a lowpoly model: its all about preference here"

Well, there's a reason I'm not doing that... I've heard numerous times that blender isn't good with retopoing meshes from a high poly count to a low poly count.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2011 03:51 Edited at: 8th Oct 2011 03:54
it'll retain the overall shape pretty well, but it messes with the loop flow. It's workable but you need to invest some manual labor to clean up the mesh afterwards.

you're better off starting with a low poly base, then duplicate and use multi-res or subdivision on the copy to work up to higher detail levels and bake them back down to the base.

or if you're set on doing the high poly first, use the snap tool set to volume (to snap the new vertices to the surface of the high poly) to manually build a new low poly mesh around it, and bake them down.

Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm thinking about doing something like that... my head model is nice in detail and all, however for some reason a good chunk of faces in the forehead and around the face are transparent when I set up blender to show textures, and when I set seams up to that area it doesn't draw textures at all.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2011 03:58
transparents sound like you are seeing the back-faces. select those faces and flip the normals. you can try to simply recalculate the normals to outside but depending on your model that will sometimes just flip some bad ones to good and good ones to bad

Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
I managed to get it working, thanks!

BTW, I'm wondering, (and maybe you can help me with this...), does The directx exporter for blender already flip Z and Y for you or do you have to rotate your model 90 degrees?
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2011 07:10
yeah it flips them, I havn't had any issues importing into dbpro

Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks! That saves me an extra step in blender.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 05:02:59
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 05:02:59