Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Spawnon Spawnoff

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2011 00:10 Edited at: 7th Oct 2011 00:11
These commands don't appear to have any effect on an entity. Granted, I am not using it with a character but with an entity. The editor settings seem to be the only thing that effects spawning.

For instance, I can set an entity to spawn in the editor and then run as its main script :state=1:spawnoff and the entity will continuously spawn anyway. I've tried several other existing spawn scripts and none of them have any impact whatsoever on the spawning.

Any insights? I'm trying to make a cellular automata for an invasive species game, but without spawning control, it's not possible.
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 7th Oct 2011 02:58
have you tried the activateentity command in MM? That might be of better help, because of the way that spawnon and spawnoff work, they'll only work at the very start of the game. They're not very useful commands.

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2011 15:51
I wasn't aware that there was such a command as it's not in the list. What does it take as a variable? The entities name?

Thanks!!
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2011 16:24
Quote: "What does it take as a variable? The entities name?"

Yep.

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2011 16:43
Fantastic. Yes this will work much better. I will post the scripts when done. Thank you.
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2011 23:11
Couple more questions...

Can activateentity except a global variable [string] as its input and is there a deactivateentity action as well?

Thanks again
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2011 23:13 Edited at: 10th Oct 2011 23:13
Also is there a condition associated with the action? Like entityactive="entity_name"
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 01:34
Quote: "Can activateentity except a global variable [string] as its input"

It should, yes.

Quote: " deactivateentity action as well?"

No, you'd just destroy the entity.

Quote: "Also is there a condition associated with the action? Like entityactive="entity_name""

No, but I'll add one to the next beta.

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 02:07 Edited at: 11th Oct 2011 02:24
I can definitely work around it but given that I am trying for a cellular automata, I don't actually want to destroy an entity as it should remain in its place even when invisible as it is possible for it to return.

Essentially I am placing a "good" entity in every segment, and a "bad" entity in every segment. Based on the rules of the automata, a good entity may occupy a segment during a period of time, only to be supplanted by a bad entity. However, as the simulation progresses, the good entity may regain that segment.

Does that make any sense?

P.S. Perhaps I could use alttexture to make entities invisible, though then I would need to rework some things such that when an entity is invisible, it doesn't reproduce. Hmmmm
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 02:33
So, do the cells ever move, or are they pretty much static? If they don't move, you could just hide and show the object. If they are dynamic, I think you could still stick with hiding and showing, and add a variable to check whether the entity is visible or not, and skip the logic if it's invisible.

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 02:38
They don't move but I need them to have coloff so the player can walk through them. How would you go about hiding and showing an entity? Using alttexture or something else?

P.S. You rock.
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 02:58
Quote: "They don't move but I need them to have coloff so the player can walk through them. How would you go about hiding and showing an entity? Using alttexture or something else?"

I thought FPSC had a hideentity command, but I looked through the list and it doesn't. Guess what just got added to the next beta? I'll send out the next beta to you and the other donators as soon as I get FPI encryption working.

Quote: "P.S. You rock."

No problem, I'm happy to help.

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 17:01
Ah, yes that would be fantastic! If it's possible to add a deactivateentity function as well, that would be very awesome, though the hide and unhide might actually cover these types of situations better - in that the entity logic can remain active even when invisible.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 05:41:44
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 05:41:44