Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / 1000+ polys just for the head of a character?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello all!

I'm finishing the head of my character, and right now (in quad mode) it is at 500 polys. I haven't even begun any hair modelling or anything like that yet, so it might be close to 3000 by the time it's finished. Then there's the rest of the body, which I'm estimating by the time it's finished the polygon count could very easily be over 9000.

That said... I know now I might need to scale back the detail on my model, however as I've stated before if I try to decrease the poly count, I've heard that going backwards from a hi-def model to a low-def makes it look horrible. Actually, I'm looking through Blender right now to try and find a tool to join faces together and I see none.

So I'm wondering... What're some good methods to model low-poly models? I looked through the "Helpful Posts" about 3D and it seems a lot of the links are old and dead.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2011 22:47 Edited at: 7th Oct 2011 22:54
I am currently creating an owl, and of course it has feathers. I made the owl quite low poly, and am adding the feathers as alpha plain type objects. Try looking at second life to see some nice hair cheats. I don't think you have to use too many poly's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoX8wuCMATc

But anyway 500 poly's is fine so far. The head will be the most detailed part.

Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I meant to say it will be 1000+ as triangles, it's only 500 quads.

And thanks for that vid, I'm looking over it now!

I saw a link posted by seppuku arts a while back that does low-poly modelling, which I'm reading over.
Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
Correction: I just triangulated the mesh... It's 1078 faces, triangulated. Neck included, so I guess that's not too bad since the rest of the mesh probably won't be as detailed as the head is.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2011 03:43
Quote: " I'm looking through Blender right now to try and find a tool to join faces together and I see none.
"

In blender it is called 'merge' in edit mode, select the vertices you want to join and press alt+m

also, ctrl+j will join multiple selected objects in object mode into a single mesh.

Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
Ortu - Thanks! Though I found it out earlier today.
Poloflece
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2011 14:35 Edited at: 10th Oct 2011 14:37
Quote: "Could very easily be over 9000"

Hey vegeta, what does the model info say about his poly level?

...Sorry, had to do that

Baking normal maps from a high poly mesh onto a low poly mesh could be the go (i don't know anything about that) as you'll get very convincing surface detail. Ideal for the nostrils ears and hair.

Poloflece

Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hey vegeta, what does the model info say about his poly level?
"

Lol, don't feel bad, I did the same thing to someone else in another thread. xD

Yeah, I've heard about that... My guess is what you'd do is you'd have multiple normals for each face for lighting purposes.

Thanks for the idea!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 12:55:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 12:55:27