Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [Feature Request] - Get Screen Locations From Sprite Pixels

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've found a need for some commands to return screen locations from particular sprite pixels...

These would come in handy if possible...

float GetScreenXFromSpritePixel(iSpriteIndex, iSpriteImageX, iSpriteImageY)

float GetScreenYFromSpritePixel(iSpriteIndex, iSpriteImageX, iSpriteImageY)

iSpriteIndex - The ID of the sprite to check.

iSpriteImageX - The x pixel of the sprite's image to check.

iSpriteImageY - The y pixel of the sprite's image to check.

The idea is to return the exact screen location under a particular pixel on a sprite.

I've found a need for this when trying to accurately place sprites at specific locations on sprites that have dynamically changing angles, that are not using physics.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 05:57
Does anyone else wish to see these commands, they seem a little long to me also would these commands respond with the correct location if the sprite was stretched, rotated and offset? I personally can see a few uses of such a command (firing spot and exhaust spot on a ship, e.t.c.) and would replace some fiendish calculations that would otherwise be written in code. We are soon to look at adding a few extra commands to AppGameKit in the next few weeks, so your input on whether these commands make the grade (or better command suggestions) would be most welcome.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I would love to have the option to have some kind of bitmap in memory (non displayable) where we can paste sprites, draw single pixels, and hence build graphics, and then a command to grab parts of the screen as a sprite!
Grumpy Jedi
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "would these commands respond with the correct location if the sprite was stretched, rotated and offset?"

I see your point - stretching, rotating and offsetting the image would all change the pixels location on the sprite.

Let me revise this to a more precise approach.

float GetScreenXFromSpriteXY(iSpriteIndex, fSpriteX, fSpriteY)

float GetScreenYFromSpriteXY(iSpriteIndex, fSpriteX, fSpriteY)

iSpriteIndex - The ID of the sprite to check.

fSpriteX - The percentage based x of the sprite to check.

fSpriteY - The percentage based y of the sprite to check.

Using fSpriteX and fSpriteY as percentage based sprite space locations in place of image pixels, will return an exactly precise location, even if you put the sprite through an industrial strength blender!.

It also has the added benefit of making the commands SHORTER!
Grumpy Jedi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2011 00:11 Edited at: 10th Oct 2011 00:33
I decided to see if I could figure out the math and wrote the functions.

I'm going to have to agree with you Lee, they were...

Quote: "some fiendish calculations"

I accounted for display aspect, rotation, resizing etc.

I'm releasing them here for the community. Everyone feel free to use the code as you wish.

I'd still like to see them added as commands

EDIT: Found a problem going to solve it and re-post the code later.
pedrolbs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2011 00:16
Hey there, I'm not sure that this is exactly what you want, but I've been planning for a game that me and my wife had in mind and we needed something similar to what you mentioned.

However I took a different approach, for the sake of calculations instead of trying to specify the exact x,y coordinates of the parent sprite I'm using a more trigonometrical approach, so what I do is, considering that the child sprite (the one that we will move according to the parent one) will have to obey angles and scaling according to the parent I assume that it will move in an imaginary circle inside the parent sprite.

Instead of saying that the child sprite will be in the x,y point of the parent I say that it will be in a circle that is x pixels away (basically the radius) from the center of the parent sprite.

I don't cater for sprites where you changed the default offset but I guess that it could easily be taken into account.

The functions go like this :

The parameters are this :

spriteid - id of the parent sprite
spriteAngle - current angle of the parent sprite
angleOffset - this is the angle at which the child sprite will be placed, just remember that for AppGameKit 0 degrees is located where 180 degrees would be in an ordinary trigonometrical circle and then it counts clockwise
radius - the distance that the child sprite will be from the center of the parent sprite
spriteOffset - this can be used to adjust the location of the child sprite, you can use it to place the center of the child sprite at the rotation point
scaleFactor# - the scale that was used for the parent sprite in SetSpriteScale

Download the code if you want and try it out, maybe it will help you or at least point you in the right direction.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
pedrolbs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2011 00:18
Oh by the way, I forgot to write, although you will see it in the code, pressing the left mouse button will rotate the parent square and the keys wasd will move it around the screen.
pedrolbs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2011 00:20
Eheh as soon as I posted I saw your solution, my post will take a while because I'm still on probation. Good work
Grumpy Jedi
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, I made a couple of updates to the functions and updated their usage in the comments.

I had to account for offsets changing the rotation point. In my absent mindedness I was only testing with a 0,0 offset.

Anyway here are the updated functions, enjoy...

Quote: "Download the code if you want and try it out, maybe it will help you or at least point you in the right direction. "

Hey there Pedrolbs,

It looks like we were going for similar results with different approaches. It looks like your passing more values into the functions.

I hadn't accounted for offsets on my first draft, but quickly discovered the problem when I went to use it on an offset sprite. I think I've got it all working now.

Thanks for the post
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 06:07
If you would care to post this nifty 'GetScreenYFromSpriteXY' code as a feature request in the issues board, it might come in during our next command update: [href]null[/href]

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:07:21
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:07:21