Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / First full-human model, low poly but no texture.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 06:21 Edited at: 11th Oct 2011 06:21
Well people, I finished my first full-human low-poly model. It's only missing hair and texture. It is currently only comprised of 627 faces.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Also any ideas for the model's texture will be appreciated as well.

Pic one is attached.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's pic two.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 11:38 Edited at: 11th Oct 2011 11:39
With such a small poly count you could subdivide the model. With one click it will suddenly look more realistic.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 14:03
It looks good. Better than my first model.

I think you could add a bit more detail to it; take your time with it; it gets easier later because you can derive characters from previous ones. You only have to model from scratch once. As far as quality, it is down to the expectations of your audience really.

Quote: "With such a small poly count you could subdivide the model. With one click it will suddenly look more realistic."

Indeed; the sub-division modifier makes a would of a difference. If you are making a character for a real time strategy or something; with hundreds on the screen at once then maybe 1 subdivision is enough; otherwise 2 would do good.

These days PC hardware can handle alot more polygons; looking at the games at Gamespot such as Dues Ex Rev, Max Payne 3, the characters are starting to look like movie characters these days.

The face count is at the top left of the Blender window, eg: [Fa:100]. The graphics card can handle 10s of thousands of polygons on the screen at once, you can judge how may polygons you have to play with.

My game characters have 2 levels of detail; 2500 and 10,000 polygons; one for gameplay on older machines, distant positions and polygon dense scenes; and the other other for close ups, cut scenes and high end machines. But the type of game it is leaves me with lots of polygons to play with, being a sports game there is not alot of scenery during sports gameplay.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 14:15
I would subdivide it once, then readjust the new vertexes, may I ask if you used a reference image? It is extremely thin and have a lot of anatomy issues

The result of origin.. Oh and ponies
Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks all!

Quote: "may I ask if you used a reference image? It is extremely thin and have a lot of anatomy issues"

I actually didn't, I just used a lot of guess work.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 02:29
#1 rule: reference reference reference!

it's pretty flat from the side view, subdividing will round off the squared edges but you need more definition in profile and sillouhette. more musculature and general bulk.

efficient low-polyness is always good, but don't be afraid to use as many polies as you need to define the forms initially you can go back and clean up any that turn out not to be needed afterall later.

in overall poly counts, characters can usually be budgeted more than most other things because they are often one of the primary focuses in the scene.

Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the feedback! From now on I'll use reference images for stuff like this. Do you know any good places to get reference images, namely side & front views of people, for free?
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 06:42
it's hard to find good usable photos, taken specifically for 3d in front and side, for free. if you've got a camera, you can take some shots of yourself to use.

look into the science of anatomy, particularly bone and muscle structure as these are what mostly shape the body. flesh and skin just layer on over them.

also look into human reference for fine art, there is a lot of good proportion material out there which can be loads of help even if you can't model over them directly.

Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks!
Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
Gah... I just animated it, it animated fine in blender (just lifts the left leg twice for now) and then I exported it to a .x file, and it doesn't animate when I use "play object" or "loop object". I checked the names of the vertex groups and they were the same as the names of the bones.

Any ideas?
born for game
Years of Service
User Offline
Not bad . Keep working.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 13:59
Hmm

If you are using 2.59, and the vertex groups have been full assigned ,which can be checked by pressing the 'Select' button in the vertex group panel with one of the groups selected, to see that they are fully assigned; then there should be no issues.

Check that the armature modifier added to the mesh with the correct parameters with vertex groups is checked; you may aswell uncheck the envelopes check box. Make sure the 'full animation' option has been selected and the 'export armatures' check box is checked in the exporter; then there should be no problems.

If you open the .X file in Notepad or Wordpad; you should be able to search for the word 'Bone' and 'Animation' somewhere in the file. If such words are not in there, then that will explain why it won't play in DBPRO.

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2011 01:36
you also need to 'make real' the armature modifier

Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2011 04:00 Edited at: 13th Oct 2011 04:47
Chris Tate - Animation wasn't selected, nor was armatures... odd. Thanks!

Though my blender froze after I tried to export that info.

Crap, second time trying the export... it took a good 5 minutes but it worked.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2011 14:58
Turn on the Console (Main Menu > Help > Toggle Console)

Turn on Verbose mode when exporting, it's a check box that tells blender to write what is happening during the export into the python console window.

Now you will be able to see what is going on during those 5 minutes. It indeed takes long on my machines aswell, I use an alternative machine for such things while I work on other things.

Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the tip!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:47:19
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:47:19