Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / No help for DarkNet :(

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 14:11
Michael from DarkNet/MikeNet gave me a link to the help files for DarkNet/MikeNet earlier, but the webpage has been taken off-line, and there is no good help files in the package I downloaded. The help files included just gives me an empty index.html, or somewhat empty, there is no usefull help Is there no way to get the documentation for DarkNet/MikeNet??

The byte chrunchers are coming...
DIVIDING BY ZERO/BECAUSE WE SUCK...
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 19:04
Okay, I got the help files working, but they don't tell me everything I need to know, can anyone tell me about the mn start server parameters? More specific instance profiles?

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 15:16
I always find it easiest to start from the examples, and modify them into your game.

Profiles are like saved settings; you set certain parameters that are stored in profiles.

I must be honest and say that I have had trouble with the latest version in DGDK and Visual Basic. Half way through working on my game with the networking commands set up nicely in the old version, with the new upgrade, it doesn't work.

When I start focusing more on the networking I will either install the old version, consult the creator for advice or abandon it and learn how to use the Microsft .NET TCP and UDP classes which may or may not be better for me in the long run.

It is excellent in DBPRO however; no problems there; and I am sure it works fine in C++; but I don't think us Visual Basic users are going to get very far with it; or perhaps it is just me.

From the examples provided with modifications; IP address handling needs to be changed:

The server creates a session so that a number of clients can connect via the given IP address (a bit like a telephone number for a building) and a port in the server.( a bit like a telephone extension number in an office in the building ). The port is set in the profile.

The clients must send messages to the server, and the server sends messages back. Based on these messages, you perform the appropriate actions; such as moving the character or displaying a chat message.

Server:

Client:

Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 19:24
Thank you Chris Tate, you are a life saver I have been programming this chess client for online chess playing, with a server side storing moves and sending them to players when they log on, for a couple of months now and it would all have been wasted without online code

Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2011 15:41
How do I determine what is in the packets I receive, for instance I have send a TCP packet with a string in it, or a memblock?

Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2011 21:34
Okay, I now determine packet types by using mn add byte sendpacket,packet type, so by reading the first byte I can specify what I send/receive (i.e 1 = memblock with logon data, 2 = memblock with player positions)

But I have a hard time reading my arrays, I send them like this

and I receive them like this:

I get garbled data or a string saying "CF$"????

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2011 23:31
I have not used the memblock network commands, however; the problem may be due to you using a multidimensional array. Most plugins work with lists ( single dimension non-UDT arrays ).

In the username and password scenario, you could send them seperately like:

mn add string packet, userName$
mn add string packet, passWord$
mn send

then receive them like this

userName$ = mn get string( packet )
password$ = mn get string( packet )

The code isn't perfect as I cannot remember all of the parameters, but it is easy in this situation,

For arrays, I normally iterate and send the array elements manually like this:

then receive them in the same manner. Copy and paste the commands, then inverse their function.

It does get tedious, but that is why have functions; so we can teach the computer how to do things such as reuse the same packet ID, without having to provide too many parameters.

Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2011 13:21
I have no problems sending strings, but the game I am programming uses arrays for storing positions. It makes no difference if I make the array single dimensionel, it started as a single dimension array.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2011 21:23
Unfortunately I cannot think of the cause of the problem; some how each byte in the sent memblock is not the same as the original.

Try posting this in the DarkNet thread, the developer will probably know the solution.

Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2011 14:56 Edited at: 19th Oct 2011 15:29
Where might I find this thread? I scrolled the forums and I can't find it :-P

EDIT: Found it, under program annoncements

Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2011 22:53
Allright, I will make the packages the way you suggested Chris Tate, thank you for the help

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 06:56:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 06:56:41