Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Weapons Question - Need Help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 21:56
As some of you know, I make educational games and as such I have rarely worked with weapons in x10. However, I am having an issue that I have never seen before and am wondering if it is MM related.

I am in the final passes on a game about invasive aquatic plants and I decided that in order for the game to be a bit more fun, I'd like to give the player a shovel. However, no weapon will show up.

I've tried about 15 different weapons. Half melee and half projectile and I get the same thing. I've tried adding it to the player start point and I've tried have the weapon as a pickup item.

I've looked for it in my inventory by hitting the number buttons and using the wheel on the mouse.

What I do see is the cross hair. But no weapon.

I thought maybe a HUD script that I am using may have caused the problem so I restart x10 and loaded a new scene. Same issues.

I'm supposed to package this game by Sunday so any help is greatly appreciated.

Oh and as an incentive...the person who solves the issue for me gets an animated decal pack - explosions.
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 22:09
I just found that if I have two weapons in my inventory, and then hit the "1" on my keyboard that it shows up. But that is the only condition that it does.

Also, even when it doesn't show up, my weapon inventory in the top right, shows the weapon but I can't use it.

On a separate topic...if I have turned collision off on an entity does that mean that it can not be killed with a weapon?

Sorry for all the noob-ishness. I've really no knowledge of the weapon system in x10.

Thanks!!
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 22:57 Edited at: 14th Oct 2011 23:54
*SIGH*

Rebooting solved the problem... *punches self in face*

However, I still would like to know if it is possible to have entities without collision be destroyed by melee weapons.
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 00:06
Quote: "However, I still would like to know if it is possible to have entities without collision be destroyed by melee weapons."

No, coloff and colon (I always find that funny) affect all collision, including weapon collision and raycasts.

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 00:38
Lol...yeah some days my colon and some days my coloff.

Alrighty...well I have noticed that projectile weapons work so...I guess I'm gonna give the kids a flame thrower. LOL...this is an actual technique for invasive species removal (as I just now discovered).

Anyone make a flame thrower for FPSC? I think I remember seeing one before.
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 00:59
Quote: "Anyone make a flame thrower for FPSC? I think I remember seeing one before."

Yes, but it's very old, not sure how well it would work anymore.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=89857&b=24

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 20:03
THanks for the tip on the flame thrower. It's an interesting take on it but yeah, a little outdated and the flame itself leaves a lot to be desired.

Interestingly, it seems the only weapons that work are projectiles that explode - like the grenade launcher for instance.

Waiting to get approval to use explosives in an educational game about fresh water ecology...lol
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2011 18:59 Edited at: 18th Oct 2011 19:14
So...here is how I am going to handle it. The flamethrower idea didn't take so I have a simple script that allows the player to kill the invasive plants while keeping collision off. I'm using the button "R" for remove. Also, I added in a decal and floatrate so the user will know that they have selected the plant for destruction.

I tried using the mouseclick condition but it always tested positive regardless of clicking the mouse.

Anyway, this works well enough:
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2011 19:15
Quote: "I tried using the mouseclick condition but it always tested positive regardless of clicking the mouse."

Thanks for pointing that out, I found a bug in the code for that function, I'll fix it up and send out the beta later today, when I get home.

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2011 19:34
I may not entirely understand how to use closetocenter but if I pick a value of 30 or less, it never is true even if the entire screen is filled with the entity. Also, I think the "center" point is at the bottom of the screen. But maybe I am just confused.

Thanks!
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2011 19:50
Just looked, it's the same problem that I had with mouseclick. I mixed up the < and > symbols.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 14:59:32
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 14:59:32