Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Publishing test builds for android and IOS?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 00:33
Is it possible to do test builds or is it strait to store on these platforms?
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 06:42
When you chose self publishing you have control of your own compilations so in the case of iOS development you have the same powers that any iOS developer has including the production of test builds. Of course you can use the AppGameKit Player right away if you just want a local test within your home/office. Android allows the APK files you produce to be distributed over email and installed on any Android device that supports it, so distributing test builds is relatively easy.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
Greenster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 10:24
I currently do contracts(I'm still not sure licensing allows that in AppGameKit which is another reason I'm not a user yet(I'll read up on it today)) for these two platforms, and would like to cut production times by switching to a single tool. This would require a package I can send for approval by the employer.

Also another problem I guess is they would want to publish under their own stores and/or sites. Is it possible to produce a package I can just send and they can publish? I'm not sure how you handle signing.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
If you want your employer to publish the app in his own apple account, you need to send them the sources. that is unless your employer gives you his apple developer id & password and you can log in his name... but few would accept this option.

no idea how android works though
Greenster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 16:29
Yeah I'd have to publish under my license or they'd have to purchase AGK+IOS licenses.

Android is a lot easier, you don't need a license to get your app signed. Just a google account which takes like 5 minutes.

I currently use xcode and google tools. It looks like I'll have to roll my own framework when I get time. I may get AppGameKit when I finish one title I'm working on though for fast porting.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Greenster, you didn't get my point.

Forget AppGameKit for a second.

If you want your employer to publish the app you wrote under his own Apple account (not yours), you need to send them the source code. The employer will then compile the app in xcode, sign it, and upload it himself to teh app store. That is unless your employer gives you his own Apple developer id & password so you can log into his apple account, compile & sign the app in his name, and upload the app yourself. but I guess few employers would accept this option.

When you put AppGameKit back into the equation, your employer has to buy AppGameKit, but this is only needed for 1 time.

In your scenario, I think, things would get complicated as usually these employers have little or no idea of app development, they are just project managers with good contacts, so as soon as you start mentioning agk licences, they might get scared away!
Greenster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 20:53
Illiteracy of employers is actually what I thought of and why I gave up on the idea. You tell one they have to buy something extra and it becomes a problem in most cases too, even if it was ten USD..

AGK is very appealing because of BASIC and portability, my best solution is my own simple IDE and C++ headers with a matching API across the platforms. I'm going to ARM windows 7 soon too.

If TGC ever manages to do a contractor/distribution friendly runtime distribution license I'll definitely be on board though ^^. They could probably do a solid solution off current licenses by using RSA on a precompiled runtime somehow, it protects their IP from crackers and expands their market.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
You can always buy an AppGameKit licence on behalf of the client and add the AppGameKit price to your quoted price
Greenster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2011 13:04
yeah, and maybe distribute a build tool to automate things. It would pad quotes and potentially lose contracts, but it'd be the way to go if I were to go to AGK.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
@ bjadams, you beat me to it . Of course you would have to mention the turnover issue. If dealing with a company, they may already turn over more than the 100k limit, and potentially are already required to pay the $999 license fee. Although I am not 100% how that works, but I assume it is overall turnover, they couldn't really police it on turnover earned from AGK's use only.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes if you take into consideration the turnover licencing, then AppGameKit might not be the best solution for doing contracting work.

I never cared about this contracting work myself, there are so many 3rd country programmers online offering to do big projects for a miserable $100, and it's impossible to beat their prices.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2011 02:36
Our licensing model is pretty flexible, and our one time product cost of $111 was designed to makes us attractive to developers. If there are opportunities we are missing due to license concerns, contractor issues, e.t.c just email me directly at lee@thegamecreators.com and describe your situation. We're here to create a win-win for you guys, and let's not allow a piece of paper to get in the way of creating great solutions for people

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
TGC are GREAT people!
Greenster your problem might be solved now!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:50:31
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:50:31