Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Showcase / [x9] Zombified -Full Game-

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2011 18:53 Edited at: 16th Sep 2012 13:05
ZOMBIFIED

Developer: MetalDevil123

Description:
I call this description because the story is so poor I wouldn't call it that But the "story" goes like this:
You have been forced to run into your hotel room, where you were staying over the night, when the infection spread to you area. You were attacked by an infected, so you fled to your room. But that's only a temporary option, as you want to get to that evac center while it's still there.

So yeah... that's it. BUT! If some of you still don't know the idea of Zombified, then here are some rules:
-Only a shot in the head counts, as you have to destroy the zombies brain.
-One bite kills you, only one bite is needed to spread the infection.
This means that I'm playing by the Romero rules. I also took away crosshair, bullet count and other unnecessary huds (I forgot the weapon hud there, accidentally). So it's some "hardcore" stuff.

Screens:

Download Zombified! The Fixed one!

I know it's got a lot of bugs, but try to bear with it, if you can. I tried to make it as good as I can, and I'm actually quite proud of it, maybe because it's my first full length game (9 medium size levels) I got built! WHOO!
Comments and crits are welcome, and be totally honest with me. If you find something that makes the game totally unplayable, or ruins the game somehow, tell me so I can make another build.

If I forgot something from this post, please tell me.

Desecrated Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2011 23:25 Edited at: 19th Oct 2011 23:50
Looks very cool man, i like the atmosphere. The only thing i noticed is the lights in the first picture. They don't seem to go well with the room, maybe it's just me?

Downloading now, 500mb really?
- Josh

EDIT: Im already stuck XD I made it to the stairs in level 1 and i don't know how to get through the boards? I never found a weapon or anything to break them after 20 minutes of searching. I tried to crouch, but that did nothing. Also i should note that i can not jump, did you do that on purpose or no?

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2011 23:56
Quote: "Im already stuck XD I made it to the stairs in level 1 and i don't know how to get through the boards?"

SPOILERS

Thanks for taking your time with it

Desecrated Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2011 05:17
Well it says to press enter to open the door, so i did but it didn't open. I did see that door, just i could not open it. Did you change the keys? Like is the enter button F or something? Anyways, thanks for the help!

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2011 10:47
Well, yes I did change the keys and I also changed the huds to say "press "F" to use"...

Desecrated Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2011 21:45
It didn't change on mine, it still says press enter? Hmm..

TheVoxyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Are you using any mods? I tried using WASP mod and it did something similar to me when I built my game. It didn't copy over some vital files, like segments, scripts, and HUDs. If you're using vanilla FPSC, maybe your script isn't directed to the right file for the HUD? Like, it's still aiming at pressentertouse.tga instead of whatever yours is.

THIS IS A SIGNATURE. I swear.
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2011 19:53
I'm going to do another build, as this version is clearly too buggy. I should have a new version up tomorrow, or by sunday tops (Finland time that is)

sic1ne
Years of Service
User Offline
well the game was not to bad i was only able to make it to the second level because there is a part in level 2 which you need to crouch and there is no crouch option also it says hit enter to open doors but you have to hit f i would say if you fix thoose 2 problems it would and could be a fun game now im going to wait till i can complete the game before i give u a review but so far not 2 bad!!!

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2011 23:19 Edited at: 21st Oct 2011 23:20
Quote: "you need to crouch and there is no crouch option"

Ctrl is the crouch button.
Quote: "if you fix thoose 2 problems it would and could be a fun game"

Wouldn't say that quite yet. I noticed a lot of the zombies were getting stuck or randomly being transparent, I don't know what to do to the latter problem, as it happens at total random when they are transparent. Also, when my friend played this the second time, half of the loading screens didn't work anymore, which is weird as they worked the first time around.

There are a ton of problems that are inexcusable, like I forgot to delete some extra ammo, so (if you explore, which you're supposed to) you will have way too much ammo, or being able to see the end of the world and stuff like that. I'm sorry everybody (the 23 people who downloaded, which is more downloads than I thought this would ever get, thank you!), but this is really a disappointment, the next build should be a lot better, but no too big promises on that one either.

ATM I'm fixing the bugs, it's getting late, so I will probably build tomorrow, I will fix the bugs for now and then get some sleep. Thank you all for showing interest in this! Makes it worth making these games (on top of being a ton of fun in itself )

TheDesertEagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2011 04:37
It looks cool

Joey-May god have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
Favourite Game-Call Of Duty MW2
King Fluffs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2011 17:12
Awesome.

Swift Beta Studios
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2011 19:07 Edited at: 27th Oct 2011 01:37
I will do a full review in my usual format after I have (hopefully) reached the last level - but I have to put up some comments right now after playing "Zombified" for over 30 minutes.

For me this game is the surprise of 2011 and everyone in the midst of developing/planning/imagining his own game should not only play, but study it.

Thread after thread I have to endure self-dillusional loudmouths praising their WIPs (mostly for some fancy screenshots), which rarely produce anything and if, then its mostly boring and annoying at the same time.

And then comes “Zombified” , a 9(!)-level game, where the developer humbly explains, that his game has no real story is full of bugs and says literally
Quote: "but try to bear with it, if you can"
In fact I didn’t expect much – but I found myself eagerly replaying the game from level 1 after my first death in level 5.

Yes, there are bugs - like the “radioactive zombie ghosts”. Yes, there are design mistakes – like scattered debris that has no explanation why it lies around in a most decorative way. Yes, there are unrealistic things – like sidewalks that aren’t raised. Yes, there is the usual laziness – like using the same bunch of vehicles over and over although there are more than 20 available for free. Yes, picking up keys and weapons is as old as it can get.

But at the same time the story is believable – paper thin, but not thinner than the start of “28 Days Later”. And the levels, both interior and exterior, feel right while the player travels through them – despite all the mistakes made. Even the simple “find weapons-get keys-shoot zombies”routine is surprisingly motivating. But why?

It’s the same as with some of those 50.000 $ independent movies, you end up watching several times. Although the shortcomings and limitations are obvious, the movie is still exciting and entertaining. And knowing how “cheap” it was produced, even adds a certain charm and you cannot help but admire the few things that did work out perfectly.

And the one thing that did work out in “Zombified” is the flow of the game, which in my opinion is one of the key elements.
- Before each level, the loading screen tells in short words a) the players situation, b) his surroundings, c) his immediate goal and even d) how he feels.
- The level design surrogates that there is a whole city outside the players reach, cleverly masking the map borders, providing extra rooms or passages to the main path.
- Level after level the threat rises (with a belivablel explanation behind), while at the same time the player has a feeling of progress.
- The varied surroundings look and feel realistic enough to create a certain level of immersion
- The placement and AI of the Zombies keeps the player constantly alerted and the combat is balanced enough to provide a sense of achievement.
Although the elements are all simple, the game never gets boring and that “I want to see what’s in the next level” feeling comes back after each one.

For me “Zombified” is the prove, that to have a game with the necessary degree of playing value it’s not about putting a shader on everything, copy AAA title game mechanics, creating overrealistic weapons or bringing the engine to its very limits. “Zombified” is simply clever level design, balanced gameplay and solid player motivation and that makes it work.

This is my favourite view in the game so far:
The black skybox and lighting disctract from identifying the map borders, the depth of the map sucesfully feigns freedom of movement and the lit rooms in the opposite building clearly mark the next target of the player. It's a movielike shot with the player standing in the frightening dark and the well-lit building opposite promising safety.

In fact the screenshot (taken by me) looks quite boring and wouldn't get much clicks on the TCG site. But thats the secret folks: Fancy-schmancy screenshots are completely worthless if there is no working game behind the shaders

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2011 21:29
I always enjoy your reviews Storyteller, and I'm ashamed to say I don't play many FPSC games, but this review has made me leap for that download button.

I totally agree that the feel and flow of a game is worth so much more than fancy shaders and textures (although they are pretty).

I'm really looking forward to playing this!

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2011 23:12
Wow; with that kind of review from Storyteller, I'll have to check this one out.

-Keith

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2011 00:05 Edited at: 29th Oct 2011 00:07
First, I'd like to say HUGE thanks to Storyteller 01! It's very motivating to see someone really get into the game you made. But before I continue, I'd like to say the reason I couldn't get the fixed version out there yet:
The weekend was busy, and I had to go to school for the week (I live with my parents for the weekends and at a student apartment for the weeks). Also, I was totally isolated from the world of internet for the whole week, as my internet connection stopped working at the apartment. I tried everything, but couldn't get it to work, so that's why I'm responding so late to you all. Sorry!

Quote: "Yes, there is the usual laziness – like using the same bunch of vehicles over and over although there are more than 20 available for free"

Yes, and you'll probably notice some of that laziness in the latter levels, tried not to hurry with this, but there is still a lot there that I can admit, I made a mistake with. You'll probably notice that in the finale, where the zombies' re-textures didn't work, so there is only about two different looking zombies there (meaning a ton of cloned in the same place) wondering around there (I'll try to work on that), but they randomly stopped working after the 5th or 6th build and I kinda forgot all about it then... :S

And yes, I cut down a lot on the visuals, although my intention never was to make a visually the greatest game ever, I wanted the levels not to be so that you can run through them in 2 seconds, and give a feeling of some "freedom" in there. So just some simple stuff

I'd like to thank again everyone who has taken the time to play this and comment here and take interest overall in this game Excuse my crude english, I'm off to building a fixed version!
(BTW. Do you all have the same bug that the loading screens stop working from level 5 or 6 forward? )

PS: If there's something that you don't understand, I'm getting tired as it's 12am here already and I'm laughing my butt off as my friend just randomly called me drunk, saying "I'm sorry for calling you" So yeah, I got distracted a lot...

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2011 00:17
I hope you'll have a fixed version up soon, because I am holding my review until I've played it.

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2011 10:54 Edited at: 29th Oct 2011 13:40
Built, almost tested, and I will upload it to Megaupload then.
So yeah, now I uploaded the fixed version. What it fixes is basically:
-Loading screens
-Huds

And some little changes on the levels, so that not so many enemies would get stuck, some may still occasionally do that, but it's in a lot better condition now
Download here (or the first post):
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q276YA9T

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2011 10:52 Edited at: 30th Oct 2011 10:55
Quote: "If you find something that makes the game totally unplayable, or ruins the game somehow, tell me so I can make another build."

There are several things, that I will post here to avoid others getting frustrated.

Problem: The autosave doesn't work. It will leave you stuck with no weapons at the start of the level.
Solution: Save immideately after the start of a new level.

Problem: The Nazi Zombie (retextured stock German Thug model) and the Zombies taken from J. Fletchers(?) Fantasy Pack have a hit range that seems to reach over a whole segment (beating the players Axe or Bat) and therefore they also hit through walls.
Solution: If you spot one, save game and then avoid getting too close - shoot them from a distance. They appear only after level 5 btw.

Problem: Sometimes the Zombies become invincible after a save game is loaded. As far as I can say this happens only when you load a game which includes allready spawned Zombies.
Solution: Make additional saves after you think you have cleared an area. If this problem gets you stuck, load a game from the previous level, play the level to the end and save right before you enter the trigger zone sending you to the next level. From then on you can then start with a clean load of the next level.

@ MetalDevil123: I don't think you can fix 1. and 3. as these seem to be engine problems.

Myself I am completely stuck in level 7 because one of the Fantasy Zombies seems to spawn stuck in a wall where it cant be shot or ran by (narrow passage between where the gas comtaniers can be found and the street). If you want to fix the stuck models, it usually works to build invisible wall entities along the segments where the models get stuck.

Btw, I had a stop watch running and before I got stuck in level 7 I have had a whopping 46 minutes playing time (inlcuding loading screen)

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2011 14:17 Edited at: 30th Oct 2011 15:21
Quote: "The Nazi Zombie (retextured stock German Thug model) and the Zombies taken from J. Fletchers(?) Fantasy Pack have a hit range that seems to reach over a whole segment (beating the players Axe or Bat) and therefore they also hit through walls"

Yes, this forgot to mention. I wanted to get some variation from all the Bond1's zombies, as awesome as they are... I'm fixing Level 7 atm

Also, I've been thinking about Survival maps, just a couple of them, but I already have some neat ideas, maybe they would be a nice little add-on? Interested?

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2011 17:56
downloading now. awesome looking game, metaldevil!

imageflock.com/img/1303928322.png[/img]
skype = isaacpreston. I want to talk to YOU
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2011 18:12
Thanks, I just put the new link up, a new built version with some bug fixes again So if you can, please, try this one that I just put. I fixed (what I think was) what Storyteller said about Level 7. I know it's a pain in the butt with this game with all it's fixes and stuff, but it's my first big game so I didn't expect it to be totally clean and bugless anyways

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2011 19:22
Just bumping to say: Do you think that this game could have chances at BOTB? I'm waiting if you have some reviews or comments or anything, so that I know should I bother Thanks!

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2011 11:52 Edited at: 5th Nov 2011 12:02
@Metal Devil 123
I promise to replay the latest version and post a review this weekend.

Regarding BotB, personally I think "Zombified" will be considered, if only because it's exceedingly long for an FPSC game and because it's one of the few, that tells a complete story (Which might be run-of-the-mill but it still counts imo).

Having said that, I still see a lot of work ahead for you

kulet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2011 11:21
@Meta Devil, hey there friend, I am currently making a developer and publisher site, is this one for free? Do you want this one to be published on my free games section? If yes contact me rwsbgames@gmail.com and I'll send you the list of required files.

work in progress
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2011 20:07
Hey, sorry I haven't checked this place for a while. I will look into it kulet, and yes, this is a free game. Thanks for the interest

kulet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2011 01:20
Hey, here is the website so that you can check it out, www.rwsbgames.com

work in progress
spaceman750
Years of Service
User Offline
aww you stole my idea! haha. I was trying to make a zombie game that starts out in a hotel but my computer is too slow. do you know how to make it still look good and keep the speed up?
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2011 00:00 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2011 00:03
I played it and here are some things I noticed:

If you don't have perfect aim every time, you will suffer for it at least by level 6. It seems to me that ammo gets really scarce.
I felt almost like I was tricked. At first you give the player a ton of ammo... only to spread it super thin in the last 3-4 levels.
I literally had to RUN and AVOID at least 10 zombies trying to beat it. I also really hated fighting anything besides Bond's zombies.
It was instant death with any other zombie, for you, even if they breathed on you. Sounds like a joke but it isn't. The fantasy zombie
also has insanely long reach and that also made it hard to "avoid" them.

There reached a point where I had to decided what I NEEDED to KILL and NEEDED to AVOID. If that was how you
wanted it to be played in the first place, that would be pretty intense; I know it was for the first few tries. Even with
the ammo "trick" pulled on me, I still managed to get through and beat the game. I was pretty impressed and I'm sure I spent at
least 1 hour and a half on it.

Overall, it was a decent experience. I'm reminded of Ehetyz's old "Hardcore Zombie Project" when I reflect on your game.
Well worth the download in my opinion. It's not perfect, but its something worth playing.

Whoever said that Intel graphics fail, obviously never owned a Core i5.
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2011 16:11
Hi, and thanks for the review!
All the feedback will help me, as I am going to make a sequel or something of some sort, but I'm not going to be building this again and again
And Bond1's zombies are the way to go, I see. And yes, this wouldn't excist without Ehetyz's Hardcore Zombie Projecy, I'm a huge fan of that game!

BTW, I never got around giving a review on Dusk as I never got through the first level

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "BTW, I never got around giving a review on Dusk as I never got through the first level"

Ahh... don't worry about it. Its not even complete as it is. I will be working extensively on Artifact of the Accursed. It's basically
the spiritual successor. It's going to be MUCH heavier in story and interesting in my opinion.

I can't wait to see what you cook up next though! I might even have to borrow a few ideas you gave me for outside environments;
especially when I start talking about the ghost town.

Whoever said that Intel graphics fail, obviously never owned a Core i5.
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2011 23:17
Quote: "Artifact of the Accursed"
I thought I saw something like that on the WiP section, gonna check it out

Quote: "I can't wait to see what you cook up next though! I might even have to borrow a few ideas you gave me for outside environments;
especially when I start talking about the ghost town."

Thanks! Borrow any ideas you want, this project was actually pretty much "borrowed", but I did come up with some neat ideas myself, but mostly I got inspired by everybody on the forum, some other games and actual buildings (like the office building, is pretty much almost a copy of one actual office building here).

Have a nice day!

dxdragon86
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2011 20:56
Looks Awesome! Downloading right now!

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2011 23:33
Quote: "Looks Awesome! Downloading right now!
"

Ooh, haven't seen you in a while. Where you been? Or have I just not noticed... :S
Anyway, waiting for any comments

TheDesertEagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2011 02:18
I never got to try this game due to my storage on my old PC i will try now

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2012 20:30
A funny story (not really), but I seem to have lost the latest build of Zombified from my computer, so just wondering if anyone who downloaded still has it, could you post a link, so I can update the first post, as I can't do that, as I said, I have lost Zombified from my PC and MegaUpload is down...

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I have lost Zombified from my PC and MegaUpload is down..."

Too bad man. I deleted it as soon as I finished playing it. Whoops.

PC Specs: AMD X4 2.7Ghz, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Nvidia 9800GT, Win. 7 Pro 64 Bit
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2012 06:22
We just have to wait for a hero who still has it.

Dark_ITheI _Angel
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah, looking good!!!
the level-design could be better and it dosnt has to be that dark to be scary.
the textures are good but the same for to much area isnt good
the objects are way to blocky,some more faces would be good

street: put garbage,make it more dirt, put better lights, a better heaven. (sum stars?)

etc etc
keep up the good work

Animals
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2012 14:00
Quote: "Dark_ITheI _Angel"

Thanks for the feedback, but what was in the level design that bugged you, as you said it could be better and I want to improve in any way I can for the sequel and other projects too And yeah, it's a bit dark at times, I admit that, but I liked the sky, I thought it fit with the design, we'll see how I'll continue from here, but thanks for the tips And also:
Would you happen to have a copy of Zombified still saved, so that I can put it up again Maybe a link or you can send it to my email address or something, if you haven't deleted it yet Assuming you downloaded it in the first place in order to give a review of some sort.

bojandurmic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2012 15:33
Guys Megaupload is down , upload game to Rapidshare !
TheDesertEagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2012 00:46
R.I.T Megaupload...
I have a copy of the game

Cross Hair Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 00:28 Edited at: 14th Feb 2012 00:29
EDIT:
DE, could you upload it via mediafire?

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 21:32
Quote: "I have a copy of the game
"

Quote: "DE, could you upload it via mediafire?"

Pretty please I'd give you cookie, om nom nom, oh so delicious cookie?

StrikeForce
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks pretty cool!

The only way you can get there is to try.
veer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2012 18:12 Edited at: 20th Jun 2012 18:13
hey,,,,,can i placed your game in my website
http://www.obsessiongames.co.in

http://www.obsessiongames.co.in
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2012 14:56
Of course you can, if you have the file Would be cool if you also linked here when you put it there. Thanks

Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
can someone please reupload this game? the second part is in work so i want to play th first befor it!

Corno

Public void likeFpsc{ System.out.println("I like FPSC!" ) ;}
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=196656&b=24
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2012 07:20
I will see this weekend, as that's as soon as I get access to the computer I (think I still) have it in.

Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2012 08:04
If you could do that metal Devil that would be awesome, I wanted to play this game. Looking forward to the sequel even before I played this one.

"I'm inspired by my own wise quotes, thank you." - Burger, 6/7/12

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 05:29:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 05:29:02