Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Programmer trying 3d modeling

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
So I've been using C++ for about 2 years now and I've been playing around with Dark GDk for a couple months. I want to be able to make a game completely myself. So the only thing I'm missing is the modeling and texturing aspect.

I was wondering what 3d modeling programs would be acceptable for a beginner like me to start on. I've looked at unity 3d and it looks great for creating terrains, but i also want to be able to make my own
buildings and have some sort of control over the customization of my characters.
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2011 16:16
Unity 3D is a full on game engine, a great one at that, but the terrains it produces are only compatible with unity.

But to answer your question:
There are no real "easy" modeling programs, there is a massive challenge to all of them, but for a beginner there are things like

Wings 3D, which i have never used but i heard it's quite suitable for beginners.

Blender 3D, A lot more advanced than Wings, has tons of more features, but is much, much harder to deal with

3DS Max (student edition) More advanced than Blender, no commercial use, harder to obtain, but in my opinion, has a bad interface, but some may disagree.

Truespace, Free, but that's all i really know about it

Anim8or, Free but it may not be worth it.

Google Sketchup, Free, but definitely hard to make more organic shapes with curves.

There's a good list of 3D modeling softwares, but only you can decide which ones fit you most, I personally use Blender 3D but everyone has different preferences.

http://awolthehunted.blogspot.com/
For the latest news on my FPS in development, check out my blog!
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually, Anim8or is simple. If you do the eggplant tutorial you are pretty much there. The problem with it is you can't easily export 3D animations. But any object that isn't animated like a tank, or a building, or a jet, or a gun is easy to make on your first attempt.

NickH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2011 03:32 Edited at: 26th Oct 2011 03:34
Lightwave 3D is by far the easiest 3D program to learn. I've used a few of the ones mentioned above, but none of them are as easy to learn (from my experience). It's also damn powerful, though it does cost a bit. I've been using it for about 12 years now since my Amiga days

IlluminatedFX.com
For web design and graphic design services
anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2011 05:36
Quote: "3DS Max (student edition) More advanced than Blender, no commercial use, harder to obtain, but in my opinion, has a bad interface, but some may disagree."

Im one of them...

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2011 13:37
I use wings 3d, and it is amazing how quickly you can learn to use it. Just by playing with the different operations you can self learn the majority of the program. Then there is a wealth of clear tutorials on learning the interface, which is very simple.

NickH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2011 15:23
Quote: "3DS Max (student edition) More advanced than Blender, no commercial use, harder to obtain, but in my opinion, has a bad interface, but some may disagree."

...and I'm another. I haven't used it for about 11 years but last time I used it, I almost thought the interface designers had something against their users. I think their motto was "If you add a new GUI element, don't think where should it go, think where can I hide it".

IlluminatedFX.com
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2011 15:32
And that doesnt go for blender?
I cant find ANYTHING in blender

The result of origin.. Oh and ponies
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2011 00:40
Eh, I've never had a problem with Blender's interface, even when i was just starting out, that may be true for 2.5 though.

http://awolthehunted.blogspot.com/
For the latest news on my FPS in development, check out my blog!
NickH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2011 14:27
I've not used Blender for more than a brief look, but yeah I couldn't find out how to do much with it. I think the fact that Lightwave is essentially split into 2 programs helps a lot, though there is a new combined version in parallel development (LW Core). I find everything is where I'd expect it to be as there aren't a million menus to look through. It's mainly a series of tabbed button bars. If I was to recommend spending money on any 3D software for someone new to 3D, I'd say LW everytime.

IlluminatedFX.com
spudnick
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2011 01:57 Edited at: 28th Oct 2011 02:08
@NickH
Good old day using the amiga 1200 and LW and doing Babylon space scenes
i do have all 3d programs, well I do also Have an old LW 9 version but I have gone on to blender as it is free and has a good community for support, Eg blender guru.com

As with 3D max 2012 i just can't relate to the features/concepts of the menues/buttons and find you have to do a dozen things to creat a simple normal map or bump map, but you do get amazing results from using it tho. A nice person in the forum called Pirate mike is verry good to get help for 3d Max, he is a Gem

So for simple things i use Wings 3d or milkshape or even fragmotion
for proper structual buildings i use TurboCad,
And for all round modeling i do prefer Blender.

And again blender for anims, even tho i have Messiah 5

But as mentioened, every one has there own favourate,

But i would start of using a simple one like Wings 3d and get the jist of working in a 3d enviament and then progress to the more advanced ones.

Try not to run before one learns to walk

But saying that Blender has many tutorials that can get you creating in no time at all.

So in all grab a copy of Blender and give it a go you may not won't to bother about any others, and spend time learner them.

As for creating Terrains, I prefer EarthSculpter
http://www.earthsculptor.com/download.htm
there is a free version, and it is easy to use and create good maps in no time at all.

I'am not GOD but i can make you see again by taking my fingers out of your eyes and i can make you walk again by taking your beer away, but if you take my beer you will not walk again
NickH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2011 21:12 Edited at: 28th Oct 2011 21:15
One day (possibly in a galaxy far far away)...I might give Blender more of a glancing look!

@spudnick
I look at stuff I created in LW3.5 on my Amiga and think "This took about 2 days to Render...after 3 attempts spread over a week and yet, the Unreal engine can render better than that at 120fps"

Lightwave 10.1 is a whole world (possibly solar system) better than 9.x beleive me! Though my free period is almost up, I've been getting free beta upgrades and I'm due to get LW Core when it eventually comes out.

IlluminatedFX.com
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2011 22:41
I think Blender definitely is technically superior to all other free options, it's just that some people don't like its interface. Even though it's gotten waay better with 2.5. Blender is just one thing like all other that you need to practice.

3DS Max is a very good software if you can get your hands on it, there's obviously a reason why it's an industry standard. For new users though I'd recommend something a bit more basic but it definitely is fine starting out with that too.

I kind of have to give some love to anim8or though, it's really, really basic, but that's the charm in it. It was a huge help in making me understand the fundamentals of 3d back when I started. It's definitely not something you want to stay locked down to forever, but I'd say it's a very good starting point

Hello, I am Seb.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2011 04:50 Edited at: 29th Oct 2011 04:50
I'd give Truespace a try, it's free and one of the more simplest 3d programs to use. Once you get the hang of modeling, give Blender a try. The layout has always thrown me off, but today actually, since it has recently been given a major face lift, I spent about 3 hours with it and now am pretty comfortable using it.

Good luck. If you have any questions on using the programs or modeling techniques, just ask away.

NickH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2011 19:59
I think without a doubt Blender is the best free 3D software. Is Truespace actually still being developed? Last time I knew Microsoft bought it out and closed it down.

IlluminatedFX.com
DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2011 05:02
it cant get any easier than wings 3d. i use it all the time. i love it.

Ed at Thoughtwire Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2011 11:36 Edited at: 13th Nov 2011 11:36
I've been using 3ds Max for around 2 years now, my look a little daunting at first, but when you know what your doing it's a breeze ^.^
In my opinion, depending on the modeller you can get better results with Max - [center]

[url=http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=182396&b=25]
[/url]
BNG
Years of Service
User Offline
Josh is right Truespace 7.61 Bets 8 (free) is one of the easier modeling softwares to master with a bit of practice. Blender? It has a lot of potential but isn't very well document as far as help files. It also has a very odd user interface; you have to remember a lot keyboard characters to use the modeling tools.

I like Truespace because it uses picture based icons to represent the modeling tools with logical icon based images you can remember easily. Adjusting settings in TS is done with a right click of most icons. Editing objects in the workspace is also accessed via right clicking the object to bring up the editing tools in TS. I think Caligari had this in mind when it designed the software. It also supports J and VB scripting for creating new plugins for the software, so a programmer like yourself would probably find useful for automating common modeling tasks. You'd also be able to create custom import and export plugins via TSX and RSX based plugin/addons. Check out a forum called united3dartists.com as there are lots of Truespace users that can help you decide is TS is worth the effort for your needs.

Part time 3D modeling hobbyist using Caligari modeling software.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2011 16:06
Yes; MS bought and then closed TS (Roman should have seen that coming; unless he did and just wanted to cash out), but you can still download it on the TS site for free. It is a great program; many artists (including myself) cut our teeth on 3D using it (or GameSpace).

I use LW 9.6 right now myself. I thought you knew that LW Core was dead, Nick? Have you seen what's coming up with LW 11? Apparently they have a Unity exporter now. Lots of ill-will going on at the NT Boards over the whole Core issue, and charging for another update so soon after releasing 10.1.

-Keith

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 18:11:41
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 18:11:41