Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Crossplatform TOP tier 2 games with AGK???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Dear team,

I'm new just bought my licence of AppGameKit!
after trying the trial i found it awesome with visual basic integrated tool.
I understand top tier 1 application done with visual basic can run with their byte code on all platform supported by AppGameKit thanks to the AppGameKit players.

Now come my question

I want switch to visual studio to write top tier 2 apps because the basic editor your provide don't provide completion methods
But i read on AppGameKit website that you can write top tier 2 application in C++ ONCE as for BASIC once and this code will run also on each platforms supported by AppGameKit but it is this point i don't understand because if i write a C++ agk application top tier2 i don't see how AppGameKit can make run my top tier 2 c++ application on IPhone or android without extra compilation task since in top tier2 there is no AppGameKit bytecode interpreter. If my thought is right. With top tier 2 the only thing that AppGameKit offers is a great port of their game lib AppGameKit which worth the cost but in any case don't tell you have to write once your C++ game because it is false or missclear detailed explaination!

Thank you for your answers.

Regards

Luc
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2011 16:20
When you compile your project in Tier 2 C++/XCode, you do not need a player app as you compile directly to that platform.

So in windows you will compile a windows Exe file, on Mac you compile to a Mac executable, for Bada you compile to a Bada executable and so on.

You can indeed write once (In either Tier 1, or Tier 2), as all you need to compile your platform specific app is the bytecode file, which is linked into a special AppGameKit player program (templates included in your AppGameKit folder) which is them packaged for whatever platform you're targeting.

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
luckyboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for your fast answer Mobiuus!

Do you confirm that with Tier2 apps i still need manually porting my game logic from bada to IOS ?

I was expecting for Tier2 game something like one buttonclick compilation process witch will generate for the target selected.

It seems once i've coded my game for windows i need to copy paste my c++ game into a bada template project and compile with bada editor.

According AppGameKit there is no AppGameKit player for Tier 2 games so that why i don't understand why you speak about bytecode file for Tier 2 apps at the end of your post. It seems bytecode player is only valid for Tier 1 Basic based game.

Can you explain please ?

Thanks a lot.

Luc
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2011 17:32 Edited at: 26th Oct 2011 17:39
Quote: "It seems once i've coded my game for windows i need to copy paste my c++ game into a bada template project and compile with bada editor."

You can do it one of 2 ways.

You can either use tier 1 to create your game, which creates the bytecode file. Then use the C++ template to link that file into a platform specific game. (No player required)

Or, you can code it directly into C++ using one of the templates, which will compile it to whatever platform the template is for. (No bytecode file required as the app is a self contained platform specific file)

You can copy/paste your actual game specific C++ code into another platforms template, and hit compile to deploy your game to that platform. Basically, you only need to write your game once, regardless of tier 1 or 2, then use the relevant C++ template to deploy it to whatever device you want. (No player required.)

Quote: "According AppGameKit there is no AppGameKit player for Tier 2 games"

The player is only really used for testing, and not for deploying your final game. Tier 2 doesn't need a player as when you compile your project, you create a game specifically for that platform so no player needed.

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
halley
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2011 21:27
I agree with Mobiius.

give my best
luckyboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Mobiius for your answer.

I will give a simple try and maybe i will need your light still

Thanks for your great support