Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / serial numbering for my game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2011 01:06
I would like to put a serial number in my AppGameKit game.

Does anyone know of a way to do this?
pedrolbs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2011 02:21
Assuming you mean a solution for tier 1, with the current set of commands I see no other alternative other than keeping a list of serial numbers inside the code, checking the one inserted against it and then maybe set some kind of hashed flag in an ini/txt file. It does sound a bit unsubstantial though.
Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2011 14:52
Have a look here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=190782&b=41

Maybe that's something that might help

JRNTexas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2011 08:46
I was thinking of a serial numbering system that I could control from a Website (I am doing this using ftp on a DBPro game). I can tell what the specs are on the machine associated with the serial number and if I find the serial number on too many systems, disable the game.

I would just like to be able to communicate with my server (ftp would be great) and retrieve serial number information and to do other functions through the interface.
Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2011 12:18
The encrytion system I posted could be converted to PHP (I use it too) but the problem is, that you can't send data via AppGameKit to a webserver (not yet). The system can also be used with DBPro I wouldn't use FTP as you've to save your FTP username and password in your final exe. It's easy to retrive these credentials via FTP Sniffer. A better way would be direct communication via script (PHP, ASP etc.) and send data back and forth. But unfortunatly it's not possible with AppGameKit yet.

halley
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2011 15:46
if the user doesn't connect to the internet? how you can receive your information?

give my best
JRNTexas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2011 10:03 Edited at: 31st Oct 2011 10:07
Quote: "if the user doesn't connect to the internet? how you can receive your information?"

Halley,

Internet access would be a stated requirement of the game.

I would verify the serial number every time the game is played, keeping a count of the times it was played without Internet access. However after playing for X times, the game would not work unless it is allowed to "phone home".

It would tell the user, "you can play 4 more times without an Internet connection before the game will no longer work."

<EDIT>The game would also need Internet access to get more levels. Also, if it's running on an iPad or an iPhone they don't have sniffer software.</EDIT>
Deion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2011 16:14
not sure using a serial is the wisest thing to do on the iphone or ipod, infact, i don't think apple would approve a game that required a serial to use, i could be wrong but i don't think it would be something apple would allow.

Cheers,
Deion G.
JRNTexas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2011 16:32
You may be right, in what Apple would allow. I haven't looked into this.

I know developers that use Apple's development environment and they have access to the Internet via http, ftp and via other ports.

So Apple does allow all kinds of communications.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2011 18:44 Edited at: 1st Nov 2011 18:50
Quote: "The game would also need Internet access to get more levels. Also, if it's running on an iPad or an iPhone they don't have sniffer software"

Uh, that's not true. Anyone could write such software on an unlocked iphone. I don't know how the iPhone emulator thing works, but if that can get connectivity, that can also be sniffed. Further, connecting via wifi, packets could be captured at or after the router.

Also, your executable could be dissassembled and reviewed.

I would suggest, use http authorization to a php script if you want to authorize users via internet. And, failing that, use a formula to calculate a serial.

Both will prevent trivially copying the game from one place to another, but neither would prevent a determined hacker. No method would prevent a determined hacker.

JRNTexas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2011 23:48 Edited at: 1st Nov 2011 23:57
@Jerico2day

Quote: "Uh, that's not true. Anyone could write such software on an unlocked iphone."

However, it is my understanding that Jail Broken systems can no longer get apps from the Apple store. If they already have your app maybe they could install a sniffer for it but I'm not aware of a sniffer that has been written.

Also, if they didn't know that you were using ftp, they wouldn't necessarily know to use a sniffer. There are thousands of ports to "sniff". Doesn't make anything impossible, just less probable.

I think your thoughts about secure HTTP, HTTPS: are right on the mark. I just want some way to communicate with the rest of the World!

You know I forgot about Byte Code! Anything can be disassembled, but even as a percentage of developers, those that can run one effectively is a low percentage.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 15:58:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 15:58:31