Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Placement Editor Bugs? Or working as intended?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was trying out the placement editor and noticed when placing objects on the default screen that the x and y values for the top left of the screen were off by ~ -131 X and ~ -38 Y.

Then when exporting the project the values were changed by another -430 X and -171 Y for a final placement position of -560 X by -209 Y.

Granted if you're going to reposition all the objects in your code later this won't be an issue, but if making levels for a game with a preexisting layout, then having a true WYSIWYG editor would be great.

Can we get the x and y values aligned to the default screen so 0,0 is at the top left, and have the output values match what you see in the editor?

Also, an option to choose which screen is the default when making a project with multiple screens would give us a true WYSIWYG editor, allowing us to place objects from the origin point of our choosing without having to edit the position values later.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I found out by peeking at the values in EXPORT.TXT that they are not related to 0,0.
Are the values related to the centre of the screen?

I was hoping to use the placement editor to build screen visually and then peek at the values in export.txt and copy & paste the co-cords in my game.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2011 19:55
The reason for this is that the screens get created in the centre of the default viewing area, which is not 0, 0. In my own tests this wasn't a problem as I was laying out whole levels in the editor, then loading them, setting the view offset so they are in the right position and viewing them, and at that point didn't really care where 0, 0 was as everything looked right. I can always look at changing this if it helps.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2011 19:59
I agree with the mob Mike The screen you lay out in the placement editor should be identical when you first load it into the viewer code and not centred. I noticed this during my own test but thought I had done something naughty so overlooked it

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2011 20:14
Everyone just has to learn to use it my way I will get it changed and also build a version for Mac and a demo for Tier 2 as soon as possible.
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2011 21:14
*ocupying placement editor to force the 1% (Mike ) to do as the 99% (us ) want*

----------------
AGK user - novice
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's, just started programming again with AGK.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
For now, I amended the Viewer to load the EXPORT.TXT and export a new text file with the co-ords offset at 0,0 as I have screens with 40+ sprites on and building the screen visually is faster than hard coding co-ords in code!
Grumpy Jedi
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " Everyone just has to learn to use it my way I will get it changed and also build a version for Mac and a demo for Tier 2 as soon as possible. "

Thanks Mike

Out of curiosity, what was causing the exported project to offset the values by another -430 X and -171 Y?

And since your updating it annnywaaay how about that default screen option?

What I was thinking is, you create a project that has multiple screens, then click a "Set Default" button on the toolbar, which automatically turns the viewing of screen borders on if they aren't already. You then click within the borders of the screen area whose top left corner you want to set to 0,0.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2011 00:13
I think I may have a bug. When I load my level (just created and saved) some items don't appear. They appear to be items that have been scaled down in size.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Only had a quick look at this, but cannot see any instructions. Is there a way to snap your objects to a grid? I could see a snap graphic in the folder but no option in the editor as such. If not I'll be sticking with my own editor.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2011 13:33
Yes, you set the size of the grid and turn snap on / off in the top right hand corner. Have a play, it's pretty neat.

I'm just worried about being unable to reload scaled objects...

Going to post the bug now!

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I could have swore I had tried that button.. How did I miss it?! Cheers .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:42:05
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:42:05