Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Windows Phone 7

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I understand that support for Windows Phone 7 is in the plans for future support.

Will it be possible to use C++ to support this platform or will it only be possible to support this platform by using Tier 1?
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm sure there will be a T2 if Win7 support is implemented.

My question is does WinPhone7 support ogl or dx only?
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2011 00:33 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2011 00:34
Microsoft only allows managed development on Windows Phone, either through C# or Visual Basic. C++ is not supported, but I don't see why there couldn't be a .NET tier 2.

EDIT: @bjadams The only API is XNA, which I believe runs on top of Direct X. I don't see why MS would ever use OpenGL.
Nokiaqd
Years of Service
User Offline
@bjadams only manage dx ( XNA itself )

badablog.ru - bada developer
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
so I don't see a much easy way for tgc to make agk for winphone
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2011 23:33
Windows Phone 7 is firmly in our sights Tier 1 will be easier as it completely abstracts the underlying engine whether it be C++, C# or XNA. Tier 2 will likely be provided in the native language we choose to write the WP7 engine in, so you have pure native access. It will probably be XNA, but for those T1 users just carry on creating your apps and when the time comes they will seamlessly migrate to the Windows Phone 7 platform without single change in any line of code

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2012 17:13
Annoying I know, but timescales? I've just got a sparkly new Mango phone and want to write games for it! What about live tiles support?

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2012 17:40
Quote: "Windows Phone 7 is firmly in our sights"

That's good news, because I bought yesterday a Windows 7 phone and I am impressed by it's operating system.

Quote: "Tier 2 will likely be provided in the native language we choose to write the WP7 engine in"

That's bad news for me, because my native language is C++
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
If it will be done in XNA, it will make a lot of sense if you will release an AppGameKit XBOX version later!
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2012 22:07
Indeed, WP7 support opens a few more doors to additional platforms If anyone can find some good C++ solutions for creating WP7 apps, please do post them here

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
What resolutions does Win7 phone support? Or is it like android with hundreds of different combinations that drive you crazy?!!!
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2012 22:30
I believe that MS force vendors (of windows phone mango) to use the one standard resolution of 480x800, but this is being increased slightly for the newer phones.

But I may be wrong.

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
It makes sense to have just a couple of resolutions like iOS.
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2012 17:56 Edited at: 4th Feb 2012 17:57
Quote: "It will probably be XNA"

The moment when AppGameKit won't be that cross-platform, as Tier 2 users won't be able to compile their apps coded with native code over all the platforms without doing serious changes.

Let me quote www.appgamekit.com:
Quote: "Code your game once"

Quote: "The App Game Kit solves many problems caused by mobile device fragmentation. With it you can code your game once and then deploy your game to multiple platforms. Different resolutions and input systems are all handled by AGK."

This'd have to be changed.

People say that Microsoft may release C++ support for their phones, just as Google released NDK. (God bless them for that)
I say that in the end, Windows Mobile 7 tier 2's integration could be suspended till they do, or another solution comes in.

PS.

You're real pros there, at TGC. I wouldn't be able to use XNA (C#), C++, Java and HTML5 to make AppGameKit work for browser (Java, HTML5), Windows Mobile (XNA), Android, iOS and the others (C++).
Or you either have lots of people .

http://www.kamacdev.wordpress.com ~ My developer blog, mind paying a visit ?
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2012 00:41
We have a LOT of experience We have a few ideas to make lives of T2 users easier, but you are absolutely right that on the face of it the task of moving your C++ T2 app to C# or Java does 'seem' problematic. The good news is that AppGameKit T2 code can be written without resorting to pointers, classes and other 'heavy C++' syntax. For AppGameKit T2 apps that stick to a simplified C approach to logic, we'll have a few solutions to making sure your AppGameKit app compiles without all that tedious porting pain.

For T1 users of course, you simply have to broadcast to the new platforms, or drop your byte code into a prepared template, ready for near native execution without even looking at Java or C#

DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2012 11:35
Just as a heads up Windows Phone 8 will be backwards compatible with Windows phone 7 and it will support HTML 5 just like Windows 8, but also support Native code such as C++ and this update is code named Apollo and should be coming fall/winter 2012.

Source: http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/exclusive-windows-phone-8-detailed

App Game Kit (A.G.K.) - Want to be creative on many platforms at once? This is the tool you need.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Great news!
kdf
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 9th Feb 2012 10:27
Quote: "I believe that MS force vendors (of windows phone mango) to use the one standard resolution of 480x800, but this is being increased slightly for the newer phones.

But I may be wrong.
"

In a recent WP7 seminar it was stated that there would be a WP7 Hardware Specification that vendors would have to comply with, which probably means there would be a minimum resolution to adhere to and a specific aspect ratio, memory, etc. requirements.

It would certainly mean less device fragmentation and device specific debugging hell when compared to Android.

The sooner AppGameKit can provide WP7 support the happier I personally will be.
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2012 16:22 Edited at: 9th Feb 2012 16:23
I guess that we should have Windows Phone 8 support instead of 7, as "this is the future". Soon nobody will use 7 when 8 is out.

( I can't wait for 3d in AppGameKit )

Trisect Development
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2012 17:28
I just get myself a brand new Nokia Lumia 900 so I hope for WP support in the near future!

Would be nice to port my games to WP also.

Check my games for iPad, Android Table and PlayBook.
www.ipad-apps.dk
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2012 17:34
Quote: "Soon nobody will use 7 when 8 is out."

Nope, not likely.

Microsoft has a very long history of putting out operating systems that are buggy. And there are frequently incompatibilities with previous ones.

I was using XP on all my computers until about 8 months ago. It was nice and stable.

It's been a not minor process getting everything I needed running in Windows 7. And some apps I just had to drop altogether (or get the newer version that didn't work the way I was used to).

There are still quite a few people using XP and some with Vista (which was one of their bigger failures).

Especially given the cost of upgrading with Windows, in both money and time, people won't jump quickly onto the bandwagon.

Windows major upgrades are never simple. You have to do a complete installation and hope that you can install all your old stuff. The new installation rarely keeps information from the old one.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2012 18:33
Quote: "and some with Vista (which was one of their bigger failures)."

That would be me... it's pretty stable now too though.

I only tend to upgrade if/when I buy a new machine.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2012 18:39
baxslash, I'm glad it is stable for you.

It helps to have all OS versions being used by someone so that we get the full flavor of the AppGameKit experience.

I just installed v1076 on my Mac and one PC. So far, so good.

Now to run my test suite.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 23:12:07
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 23:12:07