Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Publishing apps for Android

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Just wondered what the ETA was for being able to publish games to the Android market?

I have a project I wish to start which I estimate will take a couple of months but if I can't publish by then I'll probably have to use some other SDK.

Is it likely we will be able to do it by then (even if the Android support is still beta quality)?
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
It's getting very close and TGC have already published at least one app (and maybe others) to the Android market. I wouldn't think it will take too much longer. Once compiling the APK is provided, there are only two issues remaining for me that will keep me from publishing to the Android market:

1 - The orientation is still sideways for taskbars and virtual keyboards. Needs to be properly aligned on all devices.

2 - App media is left exposed and accessible on the device, so some way to just package everything together is needed (and this may be provided by the APK compiling).

Doz
Years of Service
User Offline
IIRC, the exposed media was just a feature of the player. The final apk won't do that, their snake snacker example (from the market) media doesn't show up in my gallery. The orientation thing is important, but I have no doubt they'll be able to get that and the other few remaining bugs out in a couple months time.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
And if your game does not use any keyboard input, the orientation thing is not important
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "And if your game does not use any keyboard input, the orientation thing is not important"

Mostly true for phones, but for devices that retain a persistent taskbar, such as Galaxy Tabs (and possibly Motorola Xooms?) it poses problems. On those devices, your taskbar and its buttons are always sideways relative to landscape, so you have to either rotate the device into a sideways position to level it or try to read and poke buttons sideways.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2011 23:39
I have received what we are calling the final Android files, which means I have the unenviable task of testing the new AppGameKit build (106) with every combination of T1 and T2 interaction. The good news is that build 106 will include the Android AppGameKit Player, template and maybe a few examples showing off a few techniques. Our own internal tests have gone well but we only have a few Android devices. Our community have also reported favourably to testing the Android beta on many more devices and they're returning good results too. As for ETA, I would be surprised if I have not released this 106 build for this time next week as it's just testing now. If I exceed this timetable, you can throw a tomato at me

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I am very curious to see how my game performs on my 2 android devices since they are non-tegra! on ios iphone3gs it's doing 60fps nonstop!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 19:12:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 19:12:55