Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Sprite darkens when moving on Android

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2011 20:02
Just testing game progress and found this:
My sprite darkens considerably when moving on android player (doesn't on PC).

It seems to be something specific to the image itself, as I've tried alternative images and they worked fine.
Can someone shed any light on this? I have attached the image to this post.

thanks in advance...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 21:50 Edited at: 28th Nov 2011 21:56
This is actually a show stopper for me. If someone can check this on their android platform (I don't happen to have any other test platform)

The other graphics which work fine were not irregular shapes. I found that using a differently shaded sprite, the effect more visible.
It is like the mask is moving a couple of frames out, effectively shadowing the graphic as I move it.

I have included the movingsprites example with an altered version of the sprite which shows this in more detail.

[edit] Substituted the example penguin.png and same effect.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 23:37
Just tried this on latest version (1065) and latest android player - same deal.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 00:16
I didn't notice it getting darker when it moved, but the image is mostly transparent so it will use the background color to change its shading.
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 01:03
I supplied the semi transparent sprite to show an exagerated effect. Besides, it only gets darker on the trailing 80% of the image (hence the appearance of "dragging" it's mask)

The penguin.png(from the AppGameKit examples) is a perfect example because it has white shading on the edges which disappear when moving.

I can't discount it's something to do with the XOOM I'm using, however, this doesn't happen on all sprites (e.g. the square AppGameKit demo blocks, some flare images I've tried and basic single colour circles).

nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 20:26
Doesn't matter. Seems to be the tablet with anything other than a square (and only with a black background).
This leads me onto a rather more pressing problem of, do I:

a) have a background
b) have 200 particles.

Can't have both or drop to 40fps on a £350 android tablet. Not much hope for the cheaper options... I'll start a new thread about this new problem.

Dud
Years of Service
User Offline
I noticed the same bad FPS performance/ghosting on my Xoom too - for me it makes the AppGameKit unusable.

I don't however think its the xoom because if I run a sample physics app from the Corona sdk on the Xoom it runs at a perfect 60 FPS with plenty of sprites on screen, crystal smooth graphics and no ghosting.

Try it for yourself - the Corona SDK is free to try and you can test apps out on your actual device.

This is what convinced me that it was the AppGameKit software at fault rather than the Xoom.
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2011 20:34
Thanks for responding on this.
I have started another thread regarding the xoom here

Does this mean you have abandoned AppGameKit in favour of Corona then?
I am hoping that there is something in the way that the rendering is done (favouring generic, where tablets like xoom and galaxy 2 may have enhanced methods specific to that device to get the best out of them).

Dud
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes currently I am using Corona. It doesn't cost me anything to use so I can build/test a full app/game on my Xoom and only at the end, should I decide to publish it on the App Store/Android Market, do I actually need to purchase a licence.

It also has a lot of 3rd party tools already built for it such as Level Editors etc and there are a range of games already published so its seems to have a proven track record.

AGK has potential but it has a long way to go
DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2011 09:43 Edited at: 1st Dec 2011 09:46
yeah, but doesn't Corona have a yearly price of $250-$350 when you do? That IMO me is just crazy, thanks but no thanks and then add on top of that if you want to do iOS games, wow, that is a lot of money. This makes corona unusable for most people as most people are not going to get rich and may just break even (if that).

With AppGameKit you pay one time for many platforms and maybe if you want 3D in the future you can pay a little extra, but it's not a yearly fee if you want to publish.

Corona would be smart to do only one time fees and not yearly ones if you want to publish.

Sure AppGameKit isn't perfect and has a long way to go with level editors and all that, but it will come. I would rather pay one price now and get my stuff on many, many platforms and just pay a yearly ios fee, why would you want to pay so much money per year for such little profit? That makes no sense.

App Game Kit (A.G.K.) - Want to be creative on many platforms at once? This is the tool you need.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2011 09:47
AFAIK Corona doesn't do PC games. Could be wrong.

-- Jim
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2011 02:24
Pc games isn't really the point though, is it

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 07:51:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 07:51:20