Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

PureGDK / Doing a comparison between DGDK, DBP and PureGDK.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 02:13
I started out by writing a game using Dark GDK (PureGDK beta ran out at the time but it helped with this comparison). I've now completed the DBP version of it. And so far the results on my laptop are:

DBP version - Runs as 27+ FPS
Dark GDK version - Runs at 17 FPS
PureGDK - Currently converting code...

From previous usage of PureGDK I have found that PureGDK easily walks all over Dark GDK, just as DBP does anyway and there are speed increases over DBP when using PureGDK. This game will put that finally and fully to the test. I'm hopeful for good results for PureGDK...

Just a quickie, how long will be the Beta 13 last?

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 05:38 Edited at: 7th Dec 2011 05:39
Quote: "PureGDK - Currently converting code..."

Oh, the anticipation.

Quote: "Just a quickie, how long will be the Beta 13 last?"

I'm expecting this release to last about a week. Most of the update has to do with updating the documentation, the addition of a new command-line tool for extracting string tables, and some new native plugin support.

The only bug fixed for this release is dbHideMouse() which wasn't working. There won't be any performance improvements if that's what you were hoping for.

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 06:54 Edited at: 7th Dec 2011 08:19
There's a few commands that Dark GDK does have that are not available to DBP but would be very handy for the C++ version of PureGDK.

dbGetImagePointer(imgID) - Returns low level directx surface pointer.

That one I was using to draw directly to an images surface in the GDK version of my game.

ie:

At the moment I don't know how to get around that block in my program without commenting it all out and replacing the particular part with just a basic HUD for the game.

Oh BTW, this time round I'm using Code::Blocks instead of VC++2008 Express. I'm so happy to be able to play with PureGDK again.

EDIT: Also this one...

dbMakeImage(imgID, Width, Height) - Creates an image without grabbing anything from a bitmap.

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 22:50 Edited at: 8th Dec 2011 09:26
Quote: "There's a few commands that Dark GDK does have that are not available to DBP but would be very handy for the C++ version of PureGDK."

Try these commands I've mapped out for you. I'm not sure if they're the right exports or not.

Quote: "Oh BTW, this time round I'm using Code::Blocks instead of VC++2008 Express."

Yes, exactly! You're free to use whatever environment you like. My personal preference is to compile everything from the command line with GNU Make and g++. No IDE at all.

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2011 21:12
I couldn't get either of those to work at all. For the time being I've used a different method for my HUD. I'm trying my utmost to get this completed and working as fast as possible.

Thank you...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 02:23:56
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 02:23:56