Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Sound formats and licensing...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 18:54
I've just read (with some horror if I'm honest) in the help files of AppGameKit that...

Quote: "The recommended format for cross platform compatibility is MP3."

In fact the only supported sound files mentioned in the help files are wav's (uncompressed, not compressed) and MP3's.

And here in lies my concern, as I understand it if your game uses MP3 sounds and ships a certain number of units, then you have to pay thousands to the MP3 ppl in way of licensing?

For my DBP projects, I use .ogg format files for all my sounds; but I don't know what mobile devices (if any) support this. Ultimately I am looking to as many platforms as possible and don't want a matter like this to be limiting me.

The only other AppGameKit option appears to be uncompressed wav's, which is fine for sound effects, but for music, or voice overs Wav's are to large to really be used.

I've just realised that I guess I don't actually have a question to ask, but it'd be nice if someone could tell me if most android/iOS devices can play Ogg Vorbis files "out the box" so to speak, or that I was wrong about my interpretation of the MP3 licensing dealio.

Thank you

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 19:20 Edited at: 7th Dec 2011 19:22
Quote: "if your game uses MP3 sounds and ships a certain number of units, then you have to pay thousands to the MP3 ppl in way of licensing?"

This is incorrect. MP3 licensing is handled by the device manufacturers. As AppGameKit, (And DBP) use the devices native audio players, we don't need to worry about it.

Quote: "if most android/iOS devices can play Ogg Vorbis files "out the box"

Tier 1: Not at all. (however Bada only plays OGGs)
Tier 2: Not without third party libraries.

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 19:37
Mobiius:
Would the same apply if you release games on PC or Mac?

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 19:41
@Mobiius:
Ah, that is good news Thanks for that.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2011 16:00
Yes, as the sounds/music is handled by the OpenAL sound engine. (Which is already licenced)

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:05:49
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:05:49