Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / 3d effects (explosions, puffs, swinging effects)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2011 17:04
I have absolutely no idea how this would be done? Can someone point me in the right direction on how to make 3d effects? You know, explosions, puffs of smoke, swoop of a sword when it is swung? That sort of thing.
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2011 20:41 Edited at: 9th Dec 2011 20:42
Smoke, explosion, rain, snow can be done using particles. Particles are just plane objects which 99% of the time you make them face the camera. Smoke and fire can be animated just by setting the texture of each particle. And then you either play animation, fade them using alpha mapping or just use a single image. The movement can be controlled on each in an update loop. An after each particle has finished just delete the object. There's tons of particle examples and tutorials on google and a few on here too.

Go to google images and search for sprite sheets for explosions, smoke, etc... These will give you an idea of were to start.

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!
TheeLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2011 21:47
Great thanks, I'm surprised it still works like that. Figured there were new ways of doing it. Does this hold true for swinging sword effects and the like? I am sure for something like that the plane would be angled at the direction of the sword swing?
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2011 05:58
I guess you'd have to work on a different type of effect for a swinging sword. Possibly the easiest is to have a few animated frames as images and re-texture a plane at the correct position.

There probably are other ways of doing particles but you'd have to get deep into Direct X programming to do that. I've only barely scratched the surface with that.

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2011 11:01
I recall a thread about reproducing an effect for a sword swing. I think it was this summer in the DBPro forum, you could find the best ideas for that there.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-02 21:31:10
Your offset time is: 2024-10-02 21:31:10