Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Free X 2 OBJ Converter Competition

Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2011 20:33
Hi Guys,

I have a little competition for those that have some spare time over the Christmas holiday. I have drummed up a small tool over the last few days to convert X files to OBJ files, complete with textures. It is far from a universal converter, and mainly focuses on the FPSC style of X files (and even then there will be a few issues).

What I would like is for one of you clever people to take the current installer (which includes the DBP source code), and give it some eye candy. Maybe drop in some GUI gadgets to make the IN/OUT process easier and generally make it look like a proper tool.

I heard there are some very cool GUI modules out there, and it would be nice to see the above tool be able to request a file/folder rather than the user having to manually drop files into a folder through Windows Explorer.

In intend to release it as a free tool after Christmas to help coders move their X files over to OBJ file format.

Here is the current installer in the 'programmer art' style:

http://files.thegamecreators.com/betafiles/FreeX2OBJInstaller.exe

As this competition is a bit of fun, the is no grand prize as such but I will dig into my pile of hardware/software that litters my office and send something to you as a gift (don't get your hopes up though, it's mostly junk)

I'll also hold you up high in the newsletter and tell everyone how great you are, and mention everyone else who sent me something. Thanks in advance, and have a great Christmas!

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2011 06:51 Edited at: 11th Dec 2011 10:33
It turns out Lee forgot to include the modified DLL, I emailed him and he sent me the DLL. So attached to this post is the modified DLL.

Sean

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 11th Dec 2011 18:07
Will it also do the reverse?...

OBJ » X

Admiral MH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2011 23:09
Is it just my computer, or does anyone get a empty zip file in the OUT folder after conversion? (Used the "SS-officer" FPSC file and its texture)

Anyway, thanks Lee for this tool. Hopefully after I get this working I'll build a GUI for you.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2011 23:17
Quote: "empty zip file"

same here. might have something to do with the .dll mentioned above? as my version of dbp is a little behind (and i want it to stay that way, for now), i don't want to fiddle with this too much (by replacing dlls, etc) but still curious...

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA . DBPro V7.5
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2011 00:43
I may be wrong but I believe lithunwrap can already convert between .x and .obj files? (among other things)

[b]
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2012 15:39
The competition is over, and the winner of a piece of junk out of Lee's office has been selected. Thanks everyone for the interest. Watch out for the FreeX2OBJ tool appear on a download site near you

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:20:53
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:20:53