Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 06:53 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2011 12:58
Hey there peoples!

I have just finished my first game using the AppGameKit (I had a period of a few months where I couldn't get AppGameKit working on my PC, but this was fixed a couple of weeks ago, and I've been working on this a few hours each day for about 4-5 days each week).

I can tell you that the menu system and the media took longer than the actual game to get done

Anyway here are some screenshots:

I want to get this published on AppUp (either myself or through TCG), but I have only T1 available to me, so until they provide a simple means of doing this, I'm stuck

Anyway, have a play and let me know what you think - C & CC welcome and appreciated (I may or may not act on any received)

EDIT: 23/12/2011 - Updated version that has bigger click zones and added a new Death Ray into the mix; it makes it just that little bit less boring. Rest of the game play has remained unchanged.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 10:25
Looking good Mr_d

There are instructions for publishing to AppUp. I haven't tried it myself yet, you need Visual Studio Express (free) to do it.

In the help files, go to Guides, Tier 1 Publishing, Windows.

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 14:44
Thanks BatVink.
Yep, I saw them (and that sight has totally discouraged me; and almost given me nightmares). Too bad I don't have Visual Studio (Express or otherwise) installed (and don't plan to do so in the near future either)...
Hopefully, there will be a much simpler method of getting that done using T1 only (or with a custom tool provided by TGC for AppGameKit only).

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 15:27 Edited at: 19th Dec 2011 15:28
100KB/s

however...

Finally got it after a billion years of waiting lol

Ok... nice using SPP and this helped me resolve an issue I was having myself... which was games running and then asking to have exe in other folder... this will help me release my first app yay...

If anybody else got the Please put exe in other folder error... [which pops up twice...] you are likely on Win7 [not sure about others at this point] simply right click and run as admin.

I think we need to figure out how to run these without the end user having to do so... or I will have to make a youtube video explaining how to launch the app...

Regarding the game itself haha made me smile aahahahaha but I think the click sensors if you know what I mean need to be a bit bigger perhaps split the screen in two tap zones? was a bit hard to click the exact place...

Hope this helped...

EDIT

Get GIMP think www.gimp.org and download it... you can make the ICONS using that [ .ico files ]

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 15:41
Hi MrValentine, thanks for your patience with the download, and yes so far SPP seems to be a good decision (the only downside is the size as you've discovered). Glad that has helped you to resolve a similar problem - never ran into the problem you describe myself, but that could be because I have only used my own computer to test and it's the same one I use to develop.

Glad it made you smile I know what you mean by the click sensors, and they were sort of done that way semi-deliberately to make the game a little harder that it otherwise would be; although I see your point and I may increase the zones when I release it proper (if I ever do...; I can see how that would be good for touch devices etc.) It has helped, so thanks again.

Re the icon; yeah I get a little lazy and didn't create my own. I have some simple software to do this already (but thanks for the GIMP suggestion).

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 17:05

Yes I am happy today you might have guessed...

Glad I could help... by the way did you manage to work out... the update bit? I could not understand the manual... what exe? i understand the top URL line is incluuding the zip file at the end... but the exe?

I was meaning to make a post about it but... thought why not take the opportunity now as i have found someone else using it...

If you have not worked it out yet... and want to help me resolve it I can give you an ftp account [if you do not have one] to experiment and please share the data with me as I really need to resolve this asap as my NAGACREMO pledge is nearing and I really wish to get it worked out so I can start distributing my works... to be honest I am a little linear when it comes to projects of any kind I do the book thing... A > B > C ... though I do sometimes deviate from this structure and apply my own... [Modular?] anyhoo... I have currently 4 projects in line for 2012 one of which I might need to get the SPP FPSC edition... or maybe not as I will be making a simple free for all game but would prefer the media locked... hmm maybe I will just buy SPP for FPSC... and get it over with lol.. but yeah Please let me know... I want to use SPP to distribute my works as the built in update stuff will help a lot...

Adding to that... I figured I could just pack changed objects no? still trying to figure out exactly how it works.
sorry did not mean to write so much just now... brains in gear today

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 17:22
This is a bit Off-Topic, but...
I haven't used it myself, but from reading the manual, it seems that the zip file is the one that contains all your updates to any files you have made ,and the File (or exe) is your own program created to move/replace the files from your zip to the relevant locations (in the virtual filesystem) of your packaged software including presumably your main program. As I see it, this would only work with the Autosave option turned on, so that your changed files are saved back into the package. I assume you would have to code the deletion of your zip file after the update has completed as well.

This is just my best guess on how it works, and to get the correct answer it would be best to contact the author directly.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 17:35 Edited at: 19th Dec 2011 17:37
Quote: "This is just my best guess on how it works, and to get the correct answer it would be best to contact the author directly."

true
I am still trying to figure out the On Demand thing... and yeah I figured the changed files and of course updated exe...

I shall have to email him...

Back on topic

umm even though you increase the tap zones...
[as I like to name them... guess its accurate enough right? either that or trigger zones? anyway...]
... I think it wont make so much a difference as the arms come down at certain what seems like intervals... so really the aim is to try to time it right not getting frustrated over the location of the tapping zone... Hope that made sense...

and thanks again for the input hope my input was positive too

EDIT

Perhaps place some circles in the zones make them appear at the start of the game and fade out? kudos to me for such a cool polish tip

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 22nd Dec 2011 00:40
Hey mr_d, tried your game today.
It's a good start to begin with. The game has a fun factor, and the story adds a nice touch.
There could be more variation in the levels, though. It gets rather repetive after a while, if you know what I mean.
And, as MrValentine said earlier, it's not always easy to hit the right spot, but that's also what makes the game's difficulty, right?
I managed to get a score of 84 on my second attempt.
Oh yeah, I'm glad to see you used a few of my free animated sprites. Good to see them being used. And, thanks for the credits.

Cheers

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2011 05:09
Thanks
Yeah, it's really only one level at the moment, with the aim to last as long as possible before 50 of those pesky people escape your stomping. Not sure how I'd make it last longer or make it more varied - been toying with the idea of maybe having helicopters buzzing the robot and it being able to smash the out of the sky similar to how it squishes people, but to do that will take a bit of time and I'm not certain if it will actually decrease the repetitive factor...
And yes, I found while creating it that limiting the click zones added that little extra bit of difficulty to the game play, but I think I will increase these in the final version (that I will someday submit to AppUp).
84 isn't bad...I made it to something like 286 myself.
I added the explosions at the end on the spur of the moment after I remembered you posted some good explosion sprites and I thought it added that extra little touch to give the player a visual marker to let them know that the game was over, rather than just cut to the results screens; it turned out pretty well. Thanks for the sprites, and you're welcome for the mention in the credits.

Anyway, now I'm just waiting to see if the next version of the AppGameKit will allow a more simple conversion of a T1 game to be AppUp compatible, and hopefully see the HTTP commands promised so I can add my online scoreboard in there too.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2011 06:05 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2011 06:05
I had a go at the game as well. You've done well with animating the robot considering it's 3D. I got a grand total of 87! Read it and weep.

However I agree with The Slayer with it needing a bit more variation. Maybe you could add a jump for the robot? and maybe time bombs as well? Just a few ideas.

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2011 06:22
Thanks Hodgey - yes, it needs more, but I'm not sure what (is feasible). The jump idea is doable relatively quicky, but what is he jumping for? And time bombs sound ok as well, but then what does that do (as the game is really trying to prevent the 50 people reaching safety...maybe I need to change this so that you rack up points by destroying people and you have a health/damage/power meter that the enemy tries to increase and you try to decrease...?
Thanks for the ideas. I'll have to think about it some more to make the game play a bit more exciting. Cheers.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2011 06:46
Quote: "The jump idea is doable relatively quicky, but what is he jumping for?"

You mentioned helicopters right?

Quote: "time bombs sound ok as well, but then what does that do"

I originally thought land mines but they'd make the game too easy. So the time bomb would count down and when it reaches 0, it takes out any humans within its radius.

BTW where in Australia do they drive on the right-hand side of the road?...and don't answer 'somewhere'.

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2011 07:24
don't know about the time bombs...that would make it too easy i would think...anyway thanks for the ideas.

and if you read the introduction, you'll see that this take place in NYC in the US (where they do drive on the right)

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2011 07:39
Quote: "if you read the introduction, you'll see that this take place in NYC in the US (where they do drive on the right)"

*reads intro again* I can't argue that. Another idea would be to have different robots with different attacks in different countries/landscapes.

Quote: "don't know about the time bombs...that would make it too easy i would think"

Well, the card is on the table if you need it.

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2011 13:00
Hi there, FYI - I've updated to have bigger click zones and added a new Death Ray into the mix; it makes it just that little bit less boring. Rest of the game play has remained unchanged. This is version 1.1.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 23rd Dec 2011 14:14
Hey mr_d, I haven't tried the latest version yet, but one idea that comes to mind to add more variation to your game would be to build the robot up (adding more bodyparts) while progressing in the game. So, let's say he starts with only his head and torso, then your first level could be that he needs to swing with his head to crush them (just an idea, heheheh). Then, if he succeeds to crush 50 pesky humans in a certain amount of time, he gets arms in the next level. Then, in the next level he has to crush them with his arms, and so on...
Just an idea, though.

Cheers

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2011 14:19
not a bad idea; maybe a bit difficult to implement or explain maybe...I'll keep it in mind though - thanks

Wheatleyy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2011 18:58
Looking good. For this sound track i am making... I was thinking something technological? Fast paced maybe? Yet easy listening so the user doesnt get distracted?

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2011 02:01
sounds good, although i don't know how you're going to manage fast pasced and easy listening at the same time

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2011 12:35
@Wheatleyy
Sorry, but I won't be needing that music track any more as I've already submitted my app without any music. I suggest that if you plan to make this a into a proper revenue stream that you provide the goods in the time frame you give. either that, or an update or status report on why thinks have not progressed.
I know this is Christmas time and you most likely had other priorities, but you shouldn't leave (potential) customers hanging.
Just some advice...

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2012 04:00 Edited at: 14th Jan 2012 04:01
Hey MrValentine,

Did you find the reason and a workaround for the problem you described above:
Quote: "Ok... nice using SPP and this helped me resolve an issue I was having myself... which was games running and then asking to have exe in other folder... this will help me release my first app yay...

If anybody else got the Please put exe in other folder error... [which pops up twice...] you are likely on Win7 [not sure about others at this point] simply right click and run as admin.

I think we need to figure out how to run these without the end user having to do so... or I will have to make a youtube video explaining how to launch the app..."

I am (still) getting this (even when packaged with SPP) and need to overcome it without running as admin. Did you find a way?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2012 04:22
Umm the put exe in other folder I fixed... but the run as admin yeah must be why my download function does not work... dang forgot about this... maybe they need to make an exception for the exe in firewall¿... Will try this soon... otherwise I think I need ask Michael about it... as I need to ask him how to use autoupdate and dx installer and now the admin issue... hopefully I can do this tomorrow as I will hopefully make it to my shop...

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2012 04:27
Quote: "put exe in other folder I fixed"

so did you find out what was actually causing this? how did yu fix it?
this is the part i'm stuck at at the moment...i threw in the run as admin as i expect that i would run into that later as well.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2012 04:30
Did you download 170?

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2012 04:37
i assume you mean AppGameKit? the latest one available in my products page is "App Game Kit - Windows - v1065" so that would be a no...
Does that mean, a) it's a bug in the version of AppGameKit I'm using and b) there's a fix for it in 170? (do you mean 107?) please elaborate.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2012 04:39
Did you download 170?I thought we were talking about SPP here >_<

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2012 04:46
that's what i wasn't clear on where the problem was.
yes I'm using v1.70 of SPP...so is that how you solved your problem? by downloading and using the latest version of SPP?
I thought the problem was related to what you posted before about incompatabilities between Win 7 (64-bit) and other (possibly 32 bit) MS OSs like XP.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2012 04:50
Well I only remember the put exe in other folder because of admin issue but umm did a little tweaking and got it to wotk and then eventually the new release came out... guess I need ask him to fix the admin issue... I figure if you set it on your file before distribution it would reset... hmm I know maybe make a DBPro exe as LAUNCHER and use some of the dll's to launch the SPP exe with some preset settings? if you get me... sorry tackling a migraine for past two days...

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2012 05:00
not really clear on what you are suggesting (maybe your migraine medication or maybe it' me coming down with my own migraine)...
I'm trying to submit to AppUp and that only allows the single MSI installer, so at the moment I already have DBP launcher packed in a SPP package that runs the main AppGameKit game exe. I suspect this maybe what is causing some of the problems...so unless you can remember what you tweaked, then I think I'm stuck/stuffed. Anyway, hope your head feels better.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2012 05:07
Try different DBPro exports ie... media... installer... exe... alone etc

so hungry... dang it

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 02:38:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 02:38:45